This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Counter-Strike Global Offensive

Comments

• That is most certainly the source engine.
  • How are you responding to a question I edited out 4 hours ago??? :)
  • If they just released the weapons course as a free demo, I'd probably play it until my computer melted.
  • Precisely my thought when Americans bitch about lag.
  • On the one hand, I can't blame the more experienced players for actively hunting my noob ass down in arms race. On the other hand, fuck those guys.
  • All of my gungame victories come from identifying poor players and farming them for kills.
  • All of my gungame victories come from identifying poor players and farming them for kills.
    This is something else I have to do. Because Gungame is a race to the top, I look at the radar and head towards the nearest enemies, no matter who they are in order to minimize the time it takes to get the next kill.
  • edited August 2012
    I don't hunt poor players. I'll just kill anyone I come across, and I do okay. Yosho can testify to that much, I'd think.

It's mostly because I'd hate for it to be happening to me, so I don't want to go picking on someone else in the same way, that'd make me feel like an asshole. You get in my way, I'll cut you down, but I'm not going to go finding you just to curb-stomp you.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Dude, I spawn camp even. Smart players notice me and headshot me with their first bullet. Poor players start firing wildly or just run past.

So, if I kill a nub, and I'm near spawn, I'll run there and kill them a few more times.
  • I try to spawn camp all the time, but am only occasionally successful. I'd say about 75% of the time I'm seen and killed. It's easier to get away with on the jungle map.

If you don't like spawn camping, you should know there's an achievement for it. While I hate achievements, I think that is clear evidence that spawn camping is not only a valid, but encouraged in gun game.
  • I like my solution to all my gunGame problems the best. I don't play it.
    It's the fastest way to get better at other core CS skills.
    Maybe, but I don't like it that much. I'm mostly stuck using guns I don't like in environments that are too small for me to use my ears because there's constant gunfire everywhere and there is no hostages to be rescued or bombs to do bomb things with.

• edited August 2012
    Dude, I spawn camp even. Smart players notice me and headshot me with their first bullet. Poor players start firing wildly or just run past.

So, if I kill a nub, and I'm near spawn, I'll run there and kill them a few more times.
    Oh, I take no issue with spawn camping, though I rarely do it myself - since they can still kill you while under spawn protection, it makes it a bit of a hard trick, but I'll take a route through spawn on a regular basis, and I'll track someone if they've just spawned and not noticed me, then wipe them as soon as they come out of spawn protection, or if I see someone there that isn't protected, I'll unload on 'em.

I'm just talking about not picking out and targeting individual players over anyone else based on their lower skill. THAT is what would make me feel like an asshole.
    If you don't like spawn camping, you should know there's an achievement for it. While I hate achievements, I think that is clear evidence that spawn camping is not only a valid, but encouraged in gun game.
    No, there isn't, that's just (almost) the name, Base Scamper. You only have to kill one person within about 3-5 seconds of their spawn protection ending, which is pretty trivial considering the size of those maps.

Post edited by Churba on
  • edited August 2012
    No, there isn't, that's just (almost) the name, Base Scamper. You only have to kill one person within about 3-5 seconds of their spawn protection ending, which is pretty trivial considering the size of those maps.
    That is one thing that is for certain. Maps are a little too small, and we need a lot more maps in general. We don't even have assault or militia!
    Post edited by Apreche on
    Maybe, but I don't like it that much. I'm mostly stuck using guns I don't like in environments that are too small for me to use my ears because there's constant gunfire everywhere and there is no hostages to be rescued or bombs to do bomb things with.

That's the difference between playing a game and making a game "your game."

If CS is "your game," you need to be able use all weapons effectively in all situations. I specialize in a few areas (SMGs, tight rushes, area denial/distraction), but I can play with any weapon with reasonable competency. But, CS is "my game."

• If you don't like spawn camping, you should know there's an achievement for it. While I hate achievements, I think that is clear evidence that spawn camping is not only a valid, but encouraged in gun game.
    That is one thing that is for certain. Maps are a little too small, and we need a lot more maps in general. We don't even have assault or militia!
    Agreed! Even more variety is likely to be a good thing. I mean, sure, there will be some shit that inevitably manages to get popular, but I can only imagine plenty of goodness will result as well.
  • I just realized something. I looked it up and there are actually a bunch of official gun game maps. In fact, the first CS:GO gun game I played was on the lake map. There's something going on that all the gungame servers I play on happen to only run baggage and shoots, and that's it. I was awesome at lake! It was much bigger. I think it's only in demolition mode, though. I think next time I play I will specifically find servers running these other maps like safehouse and bank.
  • These are the base maps. Wait'll the modders get militia and everything updated to the new game.

Militia is my favorite modern map. (Can't count lost maps like cs_thunder or dead maps like mansion, oilrig, etc...).
  • I live in the estate and I work in the oilrig.
  • edited August 2012
    I just realized something. I looked it up and there are actually a bunch of official gun game maps. In fact, the first CS:GO gun game I played was on the lake map. There's something going on that all the gungame servers I play on happen to only run baggage and shoots, and that's it. I was awesome at lake! It was much bigger. I think it's only in demolition mode, though. I think next time I play I will specifically find servers running these other maps like safehouse and bank.
    Naw dude, Baggage and Shoots are the only dedicated Arms Race maps. There are servers that run Dust, Lake, and Aztec as gun games, but they're clearly not meant for it, as a random player on the Terrorist side still gets a bomb and it able to plant it at the bomb site despite it not being Demolition.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • WHERE'S MAH JEEPATHON?
  • I just realized something. I looked it up and there are actually a bunch of official gun game maps. In fact, the first CS:GO gun game I played was on the lake map. There's something going on that all the gungame servers I play on happen to only run baggage and shoots, and that's it. I was awesome at lake! It was much bigger. I think it's only in demolition mode, though. I think next time I play I will specifically find servers running these other maps like safehouse and bank.
    Naw dude, Baggage and Shoots are the only dedicated Arms Race maps. There are servers that run Dust, Lake, and Aztec as gun games, but they're clearly not meant for it, as a random player on the Terrorist side still gets a bomb and it able to plant it at the bomb site despite it not being Demolition.
    True, but it also doesn't do anything. Though, I did see one guy leap up a few levels because he grabbed a bunch of kills from inattentive CT's hanging around the bombsite.

• edited August 2012
    Actually, lake is a demolition map. Demolition is a game mode that plays like classic but rather than buy guns, they advance like gungame.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • edited August 2012
    Actually, lake is a demolition map. Demolition is a game mode that plays like classic but rather than buy guns, they advance like gungame.
    Duh. I meant the mode not being Demolition or Classic or Casual. It's a demolition("de_") map but being played in Arms Race and because of that, the Terrorists get bombs anyway, even though they don't do anything in Arms Race mode.
    Post edited by Sail on

If CS is "your game," you need to be able use all weapons effectively in all situations. I specialize in a few areas (SMGs, tight rushes, area denial/distraction), but I can play with any weapon with reasonable competency. But, CS is "my game."
    Sure if I want to be truly great in CS I have to know and learn all the guns and how to use them. But truth be told, I will probably never been truly great at CS and besides is it wrong that I prioritice learning other elements of the game rather than shooting things with all the guns. I like to focus on positioning, tactics, where and when to use nades and other elements of the game that aren't just head clicks.

Sure if I want to be truly great in CS I have to know and learn all the guns and how to use them. But truth be told, I will probably never been truly great at CS and besides is it wrong that I prioritice learning other elements of the game rather than shooting things with all the guns. I like to focus on positioning, tactics, where and when to use nades and other elements of the game that aren't just head clicks.

It's nice that you want to learn those other parts of the game, but most of the game is head clicks. Think of ice hockey. Most of ice hockey is, well, playing hockey. Penalty shots are a minor part of the game. Practicing all those other parts of Counter-Strike is like only practicing penalty shots for hockey.
  • Sure if I want to be truly great in CS I have to know and learn all the guns and how to use them. But truth be told, I will probably never been truly great at CS and besides is it wrong that I prioritice learning other elements of the game rather than shooting things with all the guns. I like to focus on positioning, tactics, where and when to use nades and other elements of the game that aren't just head clicks.

It's nice that you want to learn those other parts of the game, but most of the game is head clicks. Think of ice hockey. Most of ice hockey is, well, playing hockey. Penalty shots are a minor part of the game. Practicing all those other parts of Counter-Strike is like only practicing penalty shots for hockey.
    I'd say that it's more like I'm practicing skating and positions and little bit passing while leaving shooting goals to lesser focus.

• Sure if I want to be truly great in CS I have to know and learn all the guns and how to use them. But truth be told, I will probably never been truly great at CS and besides is it wrong that I prioritice learning other elements of the game rather than shooting things with all the guns. I like to focus on positioning, tactics, where and when to use nades and other elements of the game that aren't just head clicks.

I'd say that it's more like I'm practicing skating and positions and little bit passing while leaving shooting goals to lesser focus.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

- Wayne Gretzky