This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - CounterStrike GO First Thoughts

edited August 2012 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we prepare for PAX Prime and PAX Dev, but not before playing copious amounts of CounterStrike: Global Offensive now that it's live. You may recall a very old show we did about CounterStrike, and CS:GO has done nothing but rekindle that flame. In the news, Nintendo Power has run its course, as has the ill-fated OnLive.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• edited August 2012
    J.S. Joust is great. I always play it at IndieCade events, it's the best playing outside at night. Supposedly there are plans for an iPhone version.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • During the earlier years of Counter Strike, before Source, my brother would just murder 2 to 3 players per round with the deagle. All head shots. This occurred at numerous $4/hour pc gaming rooms over LAN.

And no, these weren't easy kills. These were unaware mofos in the horizon. He'd pick Counter Terrorist on de_dust and hang out at bomb plant A, strafing all day long at the entrance of that long dark hallway. He would then headshot players like it was nothing. Then when my brother got bored, he'd just run in and handled the entire team. This is all JUST WITH A DEAGLE.

When DSL connections became affordable he played at home and got banned for "cheating."
  • edited August 2012
    Awww yeah. One of my ToTDs is now a ToTD.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Just gotta say I played bandanna guy every round in source.
  • Is it that PS3 Wand thingy that never gets used? I think I have one covered in dust somewhere.
  • edited August 2012
    Is it that PS3 Wand thingy that never gets used? I think I have one covered in dust somewhere.
    Yeah Johan Sebastian Joust uses the PS3 Move wand. If word got out that you guys were putting a game together for PAX, I'm sure you'd get a good turnout. It's probably more popular than you think.

I get that impression b/c I first read an article about it a year ago, and since then, pretty much every gaming journalist of note has written their own little love story about it. It's very high on the "you'll probably never have all the right equipment and players all in one room to play this, so under no circumstances turn down an opportunity to do so" list.

Post edited by Matt on
  • Yeah I heard about this a while ago but not knowing anyone who has the Move I gave up on it pretty quickly. Seemed awesome though.
  • JSJ was played at MAGfest last year at 11 PM in waiting in line before concerts set number 2 appeared. It has the appeal.
  • I have too wonder why the first point that was brought up regarding the Ouya is Angry Birds. It's like nobody has any imagination any more...
  • Angry Birds is about the best game OUYA is going to get in my opinion. That'll be the peak of the pack.

Mark my words: OUYA will be a disappointing failure.
  • edited August 2012
    I have too wonder why the first point that was brought up regarding the Ouya is Angry Birds. It's like nobody has any imagination any more...
    I think it's more that the Ouya is going to have such a small user base compared to any other gaming platform that it won't be worth it for a competent game developer to do more than just port Angry Birds and other crap over.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Angry Birds is about the best game OUYA is going to get in my opinion. That'll be the peak of the pack.
    Not so. There'll be other games aside from Angry Birds, and games better than Angry Birds, too. Just bedside it's all people grace on their phones doesn't mean it's going to be the only Ouya game.
  • edited August 2012
    Tonight on GeekNights: Scott is a hipster.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Rym, what were you fined for? Scott kept interrupting you, and its killing me not to know the story.
  • Rym, what were you fined for? Scott kept interrupting you, and its killing me not to know the story.
    I... can't even recall what anecdote I was relating that involved a fine.
  • Saw the thing of the day on G4 attack of the show. Now have to wonder who is stealing from who. ( They are stealing from the show, of course).
  • You can't steal things of the day. Things of the Day are supposed to be shared to the unwashed geek masses.