This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Augmented Reality

nNanNa
edited September 2012 in Suggestions
I was listening to an old episode (100107) and you mentioned that you wish to do an episode on augmented reality, but as far as I know you never did one.

I would love to see (hear) this episode!

Comments

• Hello nNa, your hair is fantastic. We have a thread for show suggestions pinned to the top of the board, you should go there next time.
  • Well, we could just talk about augmented reality here. I kind of have been waiting for it for almost my entire life.
  • My hearing aids augment a part of reality.
  • The worst part about working in a state of the art research lab is seeing people walk by with Google Glass on a regular basis and being oh so very jealous of them.
  • The worst part about working in a state of the art research lab is seeing people walk by with Google Glass on a regular basis and being oh so very jealous of them.
    Have you tried them? Do they do as advertised?
  • I don't think anyone is allowed to actually use them, at least as far as I can tell. One of the professors here is the lead scientist on the project and there is a very strict NDA.
  • I cant wait to use augmented reality to take My Anime Girlfriend out on a date.
  • Oh yeah, Japan is going to have a field day with that.
  • Big head mode enabled.
  • There are a couple apps on iOS and Android that have some augmented reality features. I remember when I was living in Washington DC, there was an app that supposedly put arrows on the sidewalk when you viewed them through the camera that showed you where the nearest metro station was and how far away.
  • nNanNa
    edited September 2012
    Hello nNa, your hair is fantastic. We have a thread for show suggestions pinned to the top of the board, you should go there next time.
    Sorry about that, I've seen the thread, just as I posted this one. Next time, I'll go there.
    Well, we could just talk about augmented reality here. I kind of have been waiting for it for almost my entire life.
    I've kinda been wanting to see augmented reality gadgets for quite some time too. I think it has a lot of good uses in a modern world, but on the other hand, it can cause a lot of issue.

The Google Glass for instance, is a great idea, but I think that people would become too dependent on it. Also, with all the tracking and other stuff, privacy could be an issue.

I wouldn't mind having apps that can help us navigate in (foreign) cities, like jabrams007 said, but having social networks like Google+ integrated in Google Glass seems weird to me. Even without gadgets like this, social interaction in public places is very minimal and most of the people just hang around with their phones in their hands instead of chatting.
    Post edited by nNa on
  • How about that new gaming peripheral, the Oculus Rift? Did they bring a prototype to Pax? If you have not heard of it, they just did a successful kickstarter recently with over 2 million raised: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game

Personally, if this is made as is promised: to an affordable range, I would consider getting it, however, I am well aware of problems, top of which to me is getting ill. I do however, believe it will be mitigated in simulation games like Hawken, which has announced it will launch "Oculus Ready".
  • I'm genuinely tempted, but I'm going to wait to see if it's an enormous pile of shit or not first. Nothing against Oculus, but every VR experience I've seen or tried so far has been fucking garbage, so I'm not going to rush in sight unseen, no matter who is making it.
  • edited September 2012
    Relevant TED talk.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • The Google Glass for instance, is a great idea, but I think that people would become too dependent on it. Also, with all the tracking and other stuff, privacy could be an issue.
    What is the difference between Google Glass and an iphone with respect to both of those?
  • The Google Glass for instance, is a great idea, but I think that people would become too dependent on it. Also, with all the tracking and other stuff, privacy could be an issue.
    What is the difference between Google Glass and an iphone with respect to both of those?
    Well, clever image macros aside, the ability to track precisely what someone is actually, physically looking at while wearing the device. That's pretty much a new thing. Sure you could sort of do it with the iPhone camera now, but that's not anywhere near as persistent.

The difference is that Apple makes quality hardware and software thats actually good to use and worth the cost.

• I always wonder how some of this tech will work outside of an urban environment and would it be as useful. If you go for a walk in the woods are the google glasses going to make carrying a map obsolet.
  • The difference is that Apple makes quality hardware and software thats actually good to use and worth the cost.
    Are you implying google doesn't know how to develop good software?

I... I honestly don't know how to respond to that.
  • I always wonder how some of this tech will work outside of an urban environment and would it be as useful. If you go for a walk in the woods are the google glasses going to make carrying a map obsolet.
    I navigate with a phone in the woods just fine. But, if I'm going anywhere I couldn't dead reckon out in short order, I'd always have a paper map as well.

• Pssssh paper maps. Real men write monocular SLAM apps for their phone to build a map while walking through a forest.
  • Pssssh paper maps. Real men write monocular SLAM apps for their phone to build a map while walking through a forest.
    Real man draw maps by hand while walking. As if real life was an old SNES game.
  • My novel Minding Tomorrow is a pretty good exploration of augmented reality. It talks about the economy of attention, adblocking and spam, tracking through cities and maps, riding trains for free, security problems, and much more. There's other technologies explored too, but "viewsers" as I call them, make up about a third of the "new" technology in it. And it's a free download too.

• Charles Stross' "Accelerando" starts out being about this type of thing as well, with bloggers becoming stream-of-consciousness providers sponsored by patrons. It's a neat chapter.
    Real man draw maps by hand while walking. As if real life was an old SNES game.
    The problem is that more than likely your data association and loop closures would be very, very poor ~_^

• It's my favourite chapter of that "novel" for sure.
  • The difference is that Apple makes quality hardware and software thats actually good to use and worth the cost.

How about "+1"

How about "+1"
    Well, to be fair, according to recent legal developments, they just copied from apple anyway, so...