This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comics worth reading

Comments

• I got "Blacksad - A Silent Hell" yesterday. So far it is pretty awesome :D
  • I just got the 1st trade for Animal Man from the New 52 (it was my most favorite of all the new titles; next to Resurrection Man). I am happy to say it does not disappoint and it goes beyond what you expect in wonderful fashion. To those who haven't read it, it has a mood and art style that is heavily remiscient of Guillermo Del Toro and Terry Gilliam and I cannot recommend it highly enough.
  • Deadpool and Cable is pretty good, beyond that yea it's kinda dumb.
  • Everyone got their copy of Underwater Welder by now. Right?

RIGHT?
  • Nope. Didn't even pre-order it. :P It's still in my Amazon cart.
  • I just read a preview for "Batman: Earth One" and it looks to be interesting. People are comparing it to the classic Year One comic. Anyone know if there's any truth to this?

The preview also came with sample of New 52 "Batman." Do not want.
  • I just read a preview for "Batman: Earth One" and it looks to be interesting. People are comparing it to the classic Year One comic. Anyone know if there's any truth to this?

The preview also came with sample of New 52 "Batman." Do not want.
    I got that free preview as well. Have not read it yet.
  • Fallen Words, for the most part, is not so good. That said, you should buy it anyway because Tatsumi is undeniably a genius and more of his stuff should be released in English.
  • Ready Fairy Quest from the pdf copy from their Kickstarter. Man, that was enjoyable. Loved the art and liked the story. I look forward to volume 2.

Apparently these guys are going to be special guests at Dragon Con, so if anyone gets can cool stuff from them that's free and wants to send it to me, I will love you forever.
  • New issue of Saga is out on Comixology. Love the art in this series.
  • Yes, I remembered this yesterday along with Comixology giving me the notification. Reading later on today!

Also I've been reading Cucumber Quest on their website, because I have yet to receive the PDF from their Kickstarter. I've been subscribed to its RSS feed, but never read it because I was waiting to read the first book. Now, I'm impatient and just want to know what's going on. So far it's pretty great. I'm about 50 pages in. I love the silly jokes and really dig the art style.
  • I read Underwater Welder by Jeff Lemire just now, and it was fantastic.
  • Just finished reading all three of Darwyn Cooke's Parker adaptations: The Hunter, The Outfit, and The Score.

All three were excellent. Combining the noir world of Parker with Cooke's art style is a perfect match.

Highly, highly recommended.
  • What do people here think of Transmetropolitan?
  • It is undeniably one of the best comic series I have ever read and you should feel honored to give Warren Ellis your money for it.
    The best comic I've ever read. It's what got me into journalism and writing, as a young lad. I cannot recommend it highly enough.
    It's Hunter S. Thompson meets cyberpunk. If that isn't a mixture of awesomeness, I don't know what is.

• I am totally getting Saga volume 1 in October.
    Also, Action Comics is still kind of awesome.
  • I am totally getting Saga volume 1 in October.
    Also, Action Comics is still kind of awesome.
    It's too bad Morrison has already announced that he's leaving the book after issue 16, I think. I've never had much interest in reading Superman, but Morrison somehow manages to not only make the Big Blue Boyscout interesting, but awesome as well. I might drop the book after he leaves.

• Got Spera Vol. 1 on Comixology, sight unseen. After reading the description, seeing a few pages on the app, along with seeing its from Archaia, I'm going to already claim it's a good comic. :P

There is something about a good strong female heroine in a fantasy genre with a large animal companion that I always seem to enjoy. (Mononoke, Fairyquest, Luuna, Korra, etc..)
    What If... Hunter S. Thompson lived in Shadowrun.

It's funny and really smart. It's a shame that Warren Ellis has basically become a parody of Spider Jerusalem lately but that doesn't take the shine off Transmet.

• edited September 2012
    I have just been to the Helsinki Comic Book Festival...

Soo much pain in my wallet, soo many good comics. The Finnish creators just keep on making awesome stuff. Also got a dedication and drawing by Sokal. Going back tomorrow for more.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • edited September 2012
    What do people here think of Transmetropolitan?
    What If... Hunter S. Thompson lived in Shadowrun.

It's funny and really smart. It's a shame that Warren Ellis has basically become a parody of Spider Jerusalem lately but that doesn't take the shine off Transmet.
    I read Transmetropolitan to better get my head around FreeMarket. Also, it's somewhat relevant to the current election, it turns out.
    Post edited by okeefe on
  • edited September 2012
    Started reading the first trade of Mark Waid's run on Daredevil. So far it is a comic worth reading, even considering I've never picked up a Daredevil comic in my life before this one. Pretty great art and a fun take on the character. Why did no one tell me Daredevil could be fun?
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Started reading the first trade of Mark Waid's run on Daredevil. So far it is a comic worth reading, even considering I've never picked up a Daredevil comic in my life before this one. Pretty great art and a fun take on the character. Why did no one tell me Daredevil could be fun?
    I have heard nothing but great things about Waid's DD, but I've become a bit of a format snob and I'm going to wait until it's eventually collected in an oversized omnibus format (if Waid stays on the book that long).

• Started reading the first trade of Mark Waid's run on Daredevil. So far it is a comic worth reading, even considering I've never picked up a Daredevil comic in my life before this one. Pretty great art and a fun take on the character. Why did no one tell me Daredevil could be fun?
    I have heard nothing but great things about Waid's DD, but I've become a bit of a format snob and I'm going to wait until it's eventually collected in an oversized omnibus format (if Waid stays on the book that long).

I think it won a bunch of Harvey awards. I'm kind of interested.
  • edited September 2012
    I'd love to hear your thoughts sometime, Scott. Let us know if you read it.

And speaking of your thoughts, I read the first trade of Animal Man today after seeing it and remembering you guys thought the first issue was good. I agree that the writing is good and the pencilling is good. I want to know more and probably will read more... but oh my god, I hate the colouring so much. With the style of art and mood this book has, it just cries out for something rich in colour and painterliness that really gets across the fluid, kind of liquid television-style images that appear in it. The only time I felt they got that mood exactly perfectly right was in that one sequence that's all in black and white with splashes of red.

And if they really did have to go for a flat colour style, oh my god could they be putting more effort into it. It's like someone just used the Fill tool in Photoshop to colour all the people and objects, and then used either more Fill or Gradient for all the backgrounds (the ones that they bothered to fill in, anyway; I saw tons of white space that was not used effectively). It just looks incredibly lazy and it really does take away from the scope and feel that this book is trying to achieve, I think.

That said, it's still probably a comic worth reading, but ugh, I just am so disappointed that the colouring ruins a lot of the mood of it for me.

On another note: the other trade I read today was New 52 Batman volume 1. That is definitely a comic you should read. If you're going to read one standard superhero comic with a straight-up "superhero against an evil group" story, this is a solid one to go for. The pacing is just right for that kind of story, and it puts a lot of emphasis on building Gotham City as a character, which gives the book a great atmosphere.

A big draw is also the art, which I find really pleasant; it's a nice balance between something like B:TAS and regular comic-y Batman style. But it also isn't afraid to break out of standard superhero comic art sometimes to do things that take more advantage of the medium, which I feel doesn't happen enough in superhero comics. A standout moment I felt happened in issue 5, when the orientation of the pages flips sideways and upside-down while Batman is dehydrated and travelling through a maze. Very effective use of the format in that instance. The following issue did some neat things with making Batman's appearance metaphorically monstrous to better illustrate what he was going through and how this fight differed from his usual ones.

Anyway, TL;DR: New 52 Animal Man — mostly good but with baaaad colouring. New 52 Batman — not super groundbreaking, but solid and compelling nonetheless.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • edited September 2012
    Excuse me if I post a lot in this thread in the next little while. I'm on a roll with finding good series to read at work.

Anyway, today I read the first issue of Dial H. These pages will probably tell you whether this comic is worth reading to you or not:

It's written by China Miéville, so if you enjoy his prose stylin', you'll get more of that here. I do, and I like the concept and the art, so colour me interested. It's not far into the run yet, so I can probably catch up pretty quick and then read it until it sucks.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Holy shit that dude's hat.
  • Holy shit that dude's hat.