This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Wii U

Comments

• The way I see it if I buy any of Nintendo's stuff now I'm rewarding them for sucking. When they do what I want, and fulfill their potential, then they can have my moneys again. Pokemon Conquest was a step in the right direction. Other than that...
  • I don't trust them to do anything cool or innovative with the WiiU. As I said years ago on the show, Nintendo has spent all of its currency with me. They've gone from "buy sight-unseen" to "buy if there's proof it's good" both on games and consoles. They've squandered two and a half decades of overwhelming goodwill and respect, and are now just one game company among many with nothing particularly special going for them.

The Internet, however, has some much more ridiculous complaints...

"I think the whole idea of having to look away from the screen to look at another screen, is completely retarded."

• I don't trust them to do anything cool or innovative with the WiiU. As I said years ago on the show, Nintendo has spent all of its currency with me. They've gone from "buy sight-unseen" to "buy if there's proof it's good" both on games and consoles. They've squandered two and a half decades of overwhelming goodwill and respect, and are now just one game company among many with nothing particularly special going for them.

The Internet, however, has some much more ridiculous complaints...

"I think the whole idea of having to look away from the screen to look at another screen, is completely retarded."

Agreed. Not with random internet bloke, he can wipe the cheeto dust off his second chin and tilt his head down a little.

I really like the concept, and I think it's fairly innovative (although Nintendo tried it before with the DS and Gamecube stuff), but I'm reserving my judgment until it comes out.

• It's not innovative now. It was innovative when it came out. The problem was they only ever made three games that actually took advantage of it. 4Swords, Pac-Man vs. and Crystal Chronicles were it. Now with the Wii U it looks like only one game, Madden, will use it properly. In order for Wii U to be worth it they need to be releasing a very large number of games of that caliber. There should be one or two every single month at minimum. Nintendo will at best put out one worthwhile game per year.
  • This thread has convinced me to Homebrew my Wii as it will only be collecting dust from now on otherwise.
  • This thread has convinced me to Homebrew my Wii as it will only be collecting dust from now on otherwise.
    I am considering it as well, as long as all my currently existing games continue to work perfectly.
    There are some really good, clean, tutorials for it now. The firmware/whatever on MY Wii is a bit of a mess from multiple softmods and failed attempts at further enhancement, so I just leave it alone now, imperfect, but working.

Nintendo hasn't been able to get enough third party support to push their overall vision into becoming a viable and thriving market, not since the SNES. I don't see how that's going to change. The Wii became a huge crapware magnet and so will this.
  • edited September 2012
    After being an idiot and buying a Wii, then selling it, then buying another one and not touching it for a year+ I've come to the realization that there is almost nothing that Nintendo could do with a console that will make me want one. Their games just don't hold the same kind of wonder I had as a child.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I see the Wii/Wii U as the console equivalent of the PSP right now: a great thing if you love those kinds of games, but skippable if you're not in that demographic. It's no longer "Get this console if you're in to games", it's "Get this console if you're in to these specific games".
  • I never bought a Wii cause I thought it was stupid when it came out. Hell, the only time I don't game is on my computer is when I'm playing Forza on my Xbox, and even that is rare these days.
  • After being an idiot and buying a Wii, then selling it, then buying another one and not touching it for a year+ I've come to the realization that there is almost nothing that Nintendo could do with a console that will make me want one. Their games just don't hold the same kind of wonder I had as a child.
    The Wii had some good games. Like, 5. They are still capable of making a good game - they just don't make enough of them fast enough.
  • My best gaming system was my 486. I have a lot more memories of gaming on that than I have of my SNES.
  • edited September 2012
    Bayonetta 2 is a Wii U exclusive
    Bayonetta 2: Something Edition on the other hand...

But, if the use of the WiiU is so vital to the experience that it couldn't be ported then it'll probably be poo anyways.
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • It's not innovative now. It was innovative when it came out. The problem was they only ever made three games that actually took advantage of it. 4Swords, Pac-Man vs. and Crystal Chronicles were it.
    While this is true, what is more concerning is that the DS, with built in wireless and being a system designed to be carried around, had a complete and utter lack of interesting or fun 4 player co-op games. Rings of Fate was crap, Somabringer never even made it over... Forget connecting to a central system, they can't even get a good action RPG or adventure going on a system with INNATE connectivity and dual screens!
  • It's sad that the main counter-point I could use on that (Monster Hunter Tri G for the 3DS) never made it over to America.
  • Launching with Smash Bros is a terrible idea. It's a terrible game. Don't give me any "hidden depth" bullshit, either. It's a button spammer with finesse.
    Well, clearly we can disregard everything you have to say.
    I just assume when I enter a thread that he is going to say something like this. Sigh.

• I am ignoring this thread.
  • Sounds like Timo is already in line to buy the Wii U.
  • edited September 2012
    I am ignoring this thread.
    Thank you, that was both extremely interesting and immensely helpful to know.
    just assume when I enter a thread that he is going to say something like this. Sigh.
    Anything that breaks the echo chamber is a good thing.
    Post edited by Bronzdragon on
  • Launching with Smash Bros is a terrible idea. It's a terrible game. Don't give me any "hidden depth" bullshit, either. It's a button spammer with finesse.
    I just assume when I enter a thread that he is going to say something like this. Sigh.

To be fair, the game does indeed have this depth, fairly demonstrably so.

• edited September 2012
    Launching with Smash Bros is a terrible idea. It's a terrible game. Don't give me any "hidden depth" bullshit, either. It's a button spammer with finesse.

To be fair, the game does indeed have this depth, fairly demonstrably so.

My original sigh was geared towards Muppet b/c I strongly disagree with him. After writing this I scrolled down further and saw Scott's "Final Destination/no items/Fox only." I hate that style of play! Yes, Smash is an awesome game and that makes it a great test of skill, but it also makes it boring as fuck. Keep it to a short 6 or 7 stage rotation of the ones that aren't total BS, and throw the less powerful half of the items on. Let that dash of randomness spice things up just a little bit and see who can survive the chaos.

Post edited by Matt on
  • I'd also like to point out that if Nintendo had done anything newsworthy today we'd be talking about that instead of having arguments on a 10 year old game. I was really hoping they'd shock us all, but it was a very pedestrian showing.
  • edited September 2012
    I find the original smash bros nigh on unplayable. Brawl is okay. The real meat is in Melee, which is still the most played in the tournament scene.

A video about button mashing (my friend is playing Fox):

And this one is just to show you how much you don't know what you're talking about muppet :P (p.s. it's awesome)
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Yeah, sorry, it's a preference issue and I fully admit it, but I'm not seeing compelling gameplay there at all. Hop. Hop. Hop. Hop.

*yawn*

Maybe it takes some skill to be the best hopper/engine exploiter out there, but I couldn't possibly care less.
  • Yeah, sorry, it's a preference issue and I fully admit it, but I'm not seeing compelling gameplay there at all. Hop. Hop. Hop. Hop.

*yawn*

Maybe it takes some skill to be the best hopper/engine exploiter out there, but I couldn't possibly care less.
    I take it you don't like fighting games then?
    Oh, it's fine to not like that gameplay. Reference my own feelings on MOBAs. Just don't deny that it exists. ;^)

Oh, it's fine to not like that gameplay. Reference my own feelings on MOBAs. Just don't deny that it exists. ;^)

Yup. Like I personally don't like playing "hard core" fighting games, but I not only appreciate the skill involved, I will watch the FUCK out of EVO and such as well.

It's probably akin to watching sports. CBF getting that good and playing myself, so I'll just sit back and watch the best.

• The Wii didn't launch with Brawl. It was two years in. I can wait.
    GameCube did.
    Just did a fact check. You just blew up my brain...