This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Wii U

Comments

• I am among the few that cares about Bayonetta 2
    Also, I am not against this, just saying :P
  • Does anyone just own ONE gaming system anymore? Specifically, do any "Gamers" own just one system anymore?

Don't we all have a PC, a 360 or a PS3, and maybe a Wii or DS if you like Nintendo games or portable gaming?

It's so damn simple. If you like Nintendo games, Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Brawl, other random stuff, get a Wii-U. It's not a console.

It's a Nintendo first party game delivery system.

Play Borderlands on your PS3. Play HL on your PC. Play Zelda on the Wii-U.

Play your games on the system that suits them.

There is no news to be had. The only thing you need to know is that Nintendo games will now be in HD. With a gimmicky controller.

If you like Nintendo games, you should be happy.

If you don't like Nintendo games, then stick to your PC/360/PS3 and STFU, because the Wii is not for you.

If you ONLY buy the Wii-U as your primary gaming system, you get what you deserve.

Nintendo in HD. Done. Thanks. I'll buy one once the big guns come out.

• It's so damn simple. If you like Nintendo games, Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Brawl, other random stuff, get a Wii-U. It's not a console.

Fuck that noise. Consoles exist in this day and age solely to create artificial exclusivity. Nintendo is so late to the party with this it's ridiculous.
  • edited September 2012

It's so damn simple. If you like Nintendo games, Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Brawl, other random stuff, get a Wii-U. It's not a console.

Fuck that noise. Consoles exist in this day and age solely to create artificial exclusivity. Nintendo is so late to the party with this it's ridiculous.
    Correct. You are 100% correct. But the fact remains, if you buy a Wii-U, you are essentially buying a 1st party Nintendo games machine. If anyone DOES NOT realise this, then they get what they deserve.

We know what the Wii-U represents.

MAKE YOUR CHOICE.

Post edited by InvaderREN on
    I too care about Bayonetta 2, but no matter how much I loved the orginal I won't be buying a console because of it.
  • The first party Nintendo games alone do not justify the price, at least in the near future.
    I too care about Bayonetta 2, but no matter how much I loved the orginal I won't be buying a console because of it.
    Pretty much the same really. Quite enjoyed the game why the F-balls in Wii-U exclusive I don't know.

• My Wii, which I received as a gift, gave me about a year of enjoyment with the handful of games actually worth playing on it. Aside from the games from my collection pictured here, I don't know of any other games that I would classify as a "must own*;" which is pretty bad considering this is a console that's been around for 6 years.
    I can't imagine the Wii-U actually having anything other than this amount of games that I would actually care about; but I'd love to be proven wrong.

*Been meaning to pick up Super Mario Galaxy 2, but find little motivation to do so.
  • Kirby's Return to Dreamland is supposed to be good. There were plenty of other games that I played and liked (Metroid Prime 3/Metroid Prime Trilogy were fantastic).
  • You seem to be missing Punch-Out!! and Kirby's Epic Yarn, among others.
  • I forget, but is there online play even going to be improved? Wasn't their online play for Mario Kart horrible? Did Super Smash Bros have online play?

I know that compared to others, Nintendo is the most lacking when it comes to online versus play.

Did the Wii-U conference address this? If they didn't, it's just another reason why Nintendo is failing.
  • E3 talked about online being better. They've said as a whole they're addressing it more. Nothing specific about the system yet, but that's probably because it's just gonna be better servers, matchmaking, and a better friend system, all of which are boring because they just need to copy everyone else.
  • You know, I've never really had been into those two franchises, probably because I never played them as a kid (although I will acknowledge that Kirby's Dreamland is pretty fun, as I started playing it on an emulator recently.)

Also other notable games that I myself don't own but found enjoyable are Warioland Shake, and Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
  • Kirby's Adventure is the most important Kirby. Actually, it's probably the second best NES game after Super Mario Bros. 3.
  • Kirby Super Star and Dreamland 3 are also fantastic. Plenty of others are just good, fun games.
  • I forget, but is there online play even going to be improved? Wasn't their online play for Mario Kart horrible? Did Super Smash Bros have online play?

I know that compared to others, Nintendo is the most lacking when it comes to online versus play.

Did the Wii-U conference address this? If they didn't, it's just another reason why Nintendo is failing.
    Nintendo has been kicking ass with the 3DS online multiplayer, so I don't see why they wouldn't implement at least that system into the WiiU.

• I don't really play multiplayer on the 3DS online. What games do you play online?

On a related note, multiplayer on the New Super Mario Bros. 2 is not fun. Each world will select on player and focus the screen on that player. So if the other player gets off screen, they can get screwed and fall down a hole. It was getting frustrating. At least on the Wii version, didn't it sometimes pan out to show all the players?
  • I don't really play multiplayer on the 3DS online. What games do you play online?
    Mario Kart 7 and Kid Icarus: Uprising.

• Kirby's Adventure is the most important Kirby. Actually, it's probably the second best NES game after Super Mario Bros. 3.
    This man speaks the truth. I am watching the Wii U fairly closely, but Nintendo definitely doesn't get a second chance just for being Nintendo. Which is sad.
  • edited September 2012
    You seem to be missing Punch-Out!! and Kirby's Epic Yarn, among others.
    Epic Yarn is really quite good. It has the typical Nintendo mechanic of "hold right" to finish level, but if you want to find the 3 medals and collect enough gems to get a gold (Yo dawg, the REAL part of the game) it's actually quite challenging!

Metroid corruption is a must own (For a Wii owner) and the trilogy is the preferred bundle if you can find it.

Finally, if you have ANY interest in RPG's at all, Xenoblade is pretty outstanding. I finished it, and any chump can see the praise it garnished on Metacritic. It's just a solid J-RPG with modern combat mechanics.

Oh, and then, if you STILL wanted one last gasp out of your Wii, The Last Story is also a fun action-RPG that you can bast through in just over 20 hours.

CoIombianshadow, I assume you had a Game Cube, otherwise you should IMMEDIATELY go track down 1000 Year Door. Easily one of the best GC titles. (That you can of course play, on the Wii..)

Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • edited September 2012
    I forget, but is there online play even going to be improved? Wasn't their online play for Mario Kart horrible? Did Super Smash Bros have online play?

They haven't made any big news about their online system. They claim it will be better, but no details as far as I can see.

When Smash Bros: Brawl came out and the online was completely busted, I went through a huge shift of opinion on Nintendo. It bothered me so much that I didn't turn on the Wii for 2-3 years, only briefly returning to it for a few months in mid-2011 to play through a few things like Kirby Epic Yarn and Super Paper Mario, neither of which blew me away.

I toyed with the idea of picking up a Wii U just b/c it's new and shiny and it's tradition to get the Nintendo console at launch, but I've come to my senses and can now say, fuck that noise. I'll pick it up in a few years when it's in the discount bin.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • I also skipped the N64. In that era, I basically stopped all console gaming except for NES/SNES (mostly even then via emulation) and went full tabletop/PC.
  • I also skipped the N64. In that era, I basically stopped all console gaming except for NES/SNES (mostly even then via emulation) and went full tabletop/PC.
    I don't think I could possibly draw a line in the sand like that. My gaming history is such a tangled web, constantly jumping from different consoles, PC, and tabletop. Perhaps that's why I have such a huge backlog. I'm interesting in everything.

• edited September 2012

CoIombianshadow, I assume you had a Game Cube, otherwise you should IMMEDIATELY go track down 1000 Year Door. Easily one of the best GC titles. (That you can of course play, on the Wii..)

I actually got a Gamecube REALLY late into its life cycle (scored it for about $30.00 from a Gamestop) so the only games I own for it are Mario Kart, Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine, and one of the Mario Parties. Hell, the sole purpose of purchasing it, was so I could buy Twilight Princess, and ended up getting it for Wii instead. But yes, I've heard many a good thing about Paper Mario, and if I can find it on the cheap I'll go for it.
    Oh and when I said "Kirby's Dreamland" before I totally meant Kirby's Adventure. My bad :-(

I think it's also interesting to note that this is the first console generation that me, and a lot of people I know actually own all (or more than one of) the available consoles, possibly due to this generation lasting a lot longer than anticipated, and having extra disposable income. And with being said, I can't see myself owning more than one console next time due to the sheer amount of redundant 3rd party titles between platforms. The choice of purchasing a game on PS3 over 360 or vice versa is often an inconsequential and arbitrary decision. The with Nintendo finally catching up in terms of graphics and hardware, the decision is even more fickle.

So next time I'll put some serious thought into which console will actually be worth my time and monies.

EDIT: In other words: Console Wars part II
    Post edited by ColombianShadow on
  • I've always relied on consoles for a long time. I had never had a good computer to ever do any gaming on, then by the time I had the money to buy my own I was leaning pretty hard in the console market. It wasn't until I finally made enough in college to live and and buy a computer that I got a gaming PC. It was a bit of a toe-dipping experience but I'm starting to lean more and more to PC just because of the price of games these days with things like Steam, and the games just look better.
  • Heh, opposite for me. I haven't had a ballsy gaming PC since I was young and rich. I used to upgrade every 6 months, but back then you pretty much had to if you wanted 60FPS in that months' releases.
  • What we do with the Wii:

1. Watch Netflix
    2. Play games that aren't for the Wii
    3. oh yeah, I think Pete occasionally plays a game that was actually released for the Wii...

But seriously, I walked in on him playing Ecco the Dolphin on the Wii this weekend. He is clearly desperate.
  • He hasn't fixed his computer yet, has he?

• 2. Play games that aren't for the Wii
    How can you play games not for the Wii on the Wii? All games played on the wii are technically for the wii :-p