This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Wii U

Comments

• edited September 2012

2. Play games that aren't for the Wii
    How can you play games not for the Wii on the Wii? All games played on the wii are technically for the wii :-p

GameCube games aren't FOR the Wii. I know Pete loves F-Zero GX. I do, too. I should play that shit when I get home.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I think the last game I played on the Wii was DDR Mario Mix. It will probably to continue to be like that for the foreseeable future unless I get SSBM (it refuses to play SSBB, for reasons unclear to everyone; yes, we've tried on multiple discs.)
  • edited September 2012

2. Play games that aren't for the Wii
    How can you play games not for the Wii on the Wii? All games played on the wii are technically for the wii :-p

Any game that came out for a previous console isn't made for the Wii. Just because you can play it on the Wii doesn't mean you need the Wii to play it.

Post edited by Nuri on

• 2. Play games that aren't for the Wii

GameCube games aren't FOR the Wii. I know Pete loves F-Zero GX. I do, too. I should play that shit when I get home.
    Did you know that you can supposedly unlock F-Zero AX (an arcade game) tracks in DX? I'm thinking about trying to grab a ROM of a save game that has all the tracks.

Damn I love that game.

@George: No Windows install yet. Working on it.

Also, fuck Ecco. I forgot how fucking hard that game is.

• Yeha, we've known about the AX unlock forever. The problem is you need to bring your memory card to an AX machine, which is very hard to find.
  • Yeha, we've known about the AX unlock forever. The problem is you need to bring your memory card to an AX machine, which is very hard to find.
    Well, you can also do it using only GX. First, you have to unlock Master difficulty for all the Grand Prix cups by beating them all on Expert. Then you beat all the cups on Master to unlock the AX tracks. You get pilots by beating Story Mode on Very Hard. I think the parts are won through the cups on Master.

So, basically, I'll have better luck finding an AX machine.

• Yeah, if I remember correctly, doesn't the computer cheat majorly in the hardest difficulties of that game?
  • Yeah, if I remember correctly, doesn't the computer cheat majorly in the hardest difficulties of that game?
    I don't think it cheats - it's just balls hard.

There are allegedly four locations in California that have cabinets:

Winnetka Fun Zone in Chatsworth
    Gameworks in Long Beach
    Arcade Infinity in Rowland Heights
    Sunnyvale Golfland in Sunnyvale

Of course, this information is 3 years old, so who the hell knows. But if any California-based forumite is nearby and wouldn't be opposed to scouting it out...

The only other states that might have cabinets are Arizona, Florida, Louisiana, Nevada, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Washington.

The one in Washington is in Tacoma.

• I haven't been paying attention to this discussion, but what about cabinets in Tacoma? I maybe able to help you there by checking out some area. I'm a native of Tacoma as well as go through it everyday on my commute to work.
  • I saw that machine in '08. It was at the GameWorks next to PAX. It's not there anymore. Didn't have my GameCube memory card on me at the time.
  • This site said Narrows Bowling in Tacoma, and was current as of 2009.
  • Oh ok. I know where that is. If I'm ever in the area, I'll stop by. I just tried calling, but the guy who answered didn't really know and said he's not sure and that it doesn't sound like a game they have there.

So pretty much, just have to go and check. :P
  • edited September 2012
    That would be awesome.

EDIT: There is also allegedly one at Planet Zero in Houston, TX, as of March 2012. I think there are only two Texan forumites, though, and they just had a baby.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited September 2012
    Of course, this information is 3 years old, so who the hell knows. But if any California-based forumite is nearby and wouldn't be opposed to scouting it out...
    I was going to offer scouting the Long Beach one out, but I just googled and it's been closed. Then I was thinking, hey, I could go out to Rowland Heights. Closed. Can't tell about that Winnetka Fun Zone one because it looks like it's in a mall, but Sonic isn't too far from Chatsworth. Sunnyvale is up north near the bay area, so I can't really check that one out easily.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • The Seattle Waterfront Arcade allegedly has one, Ro. It's listed on their website: http://seattlewaterfrontarcade.com/games/
  • Ah, well then ok. What do I need to do exactly? Take a Game cube memory card or something? I'll still check the Tacoma one because that's more convenient than Seattle.
  • I think you just plug a GC memory card into the machine, and it unlocks everything, saving it to the card.
  • I see. I know I have some spare memory cards somewhere. If not, I have a local retro game store, Game Lobster , that sells a ton of them for cheap.
  • I see. I know I have some spare memory cards somewhere. If not, I have a local retro game store, Game Lobster , that sells a ton of them for cheap.
    Upon further reading, I could be wrong. Seems that you can save the machine you used and the tracks you raced. Probably requires multiple plays to get everything.

The Action Replay can unlock absolutely everything, including some exclusive Japan-only parts.

Upon further reading, I could be wrong. Seems that you can save the machine you used and the tracks you raced. Probably requires multiple plays to get everything.

The Action Replay can unlock absolutely everything, including some exclusive Japan-only parts.

What does an Action Replay that you can use on a Wii with a GameCube game look like?
  • Game Lobster is an awesome name for a store.
  • edited September 2012
    Game Lobster is an awesome name for a store.
    It's actually like 5 minutes near where Jeremy and I live. We went in there and it's just wall to wall gaming of nostalgia. All kinds of used and refurbished systems and accessories. Tons of games and strategy guides and various old school merch.

I was able to find Tetrisphere there for the N64 for $7. I need to stop by there to find Diddy Kong Racing for the N64. I never owned one, but would borrow/rent one for free from my job at a Video Rental Place in my late teens/early 20's and play the crap out of those games.

It's essentially an hole-in-the-wall sized store, next to a bunch of car repair shops ran by an old couple. Korean wife with this old white nerd looking dude. They are pretty cool.
    Post edited by Rochelle on

What does an Action Replay that you can use on a Wii with a GameCube game look like?
    I think it's a USB thing. Fucked if I know.

What I do know is that I installed the Homebrew Channel a while back, and there are ways to copy extracted save game files to a memory card.

So hold off on exploring while I potentially brick my Wii.

• I just bought Tetrisphere from 8-Bit & Up, a good retro game shop in Manhattan. We're N64 twins!
  • I just bought Tetrisphere from 8-Bit & Up, a good retro game shop in Manhattan. We're N64 twins!
    How are the prices there? I've been to Video Game New York a few blocks away, and they always seemed pricey to me.

I don't think it cheats - it's just balls hard.

There are allegedly four locations in California that have cabinets:

Winnetka Fun Zone in Chatsworth
    Gameworks in Long Beach
    Arcade Infinity in Rowland Heights
    Sunnyvale Golfland in Sunnyvale
    I think there's one at the Family Fun Arcade here in Northridge too.
    How are the prices there? I've been to Video Game New York a few blocks away, and they always seemed pricey to me.
    They're a better store than VideogamesNY, but the prices still can't compete with the internet. I was there in the Spring when American Express was running a small business Foursquare promotion that got you something like $20 back on a $50 purchase. Can't remember the exact details, but it made it a good deal. Prices on NES & SNES era stuff are ballooning right now as they are in the 20-25 year mark. Get your N64 stuff now before the nostalgia kids start graduating college.

What I do know is that I installed the Homebrew Channel a while back, and there are ways to copy extracted save game files to a memory card.

It worked!

It worked!

Give us instructions.
  • Step 1: Install the Homebrew Channel using the HackMii installer and the Smash Stack exploit:

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_Channel

Step 2: Don't brick your Wii.

Step 3: Grab the latest version of GCMM (1.3):
    http://wiibrew.org/wiki/GCMM

-The archive contains an "apps" folder. In that folder is a "GCMM" folder. Copy that to the "apps" folder on the SD card you used for the Homebrew Channel.

-Create a folder named MCBACKUP in the home directory of the same SD card.

Step 4: Go to this Gamefaqs page:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/gamecube/560617-f-zero-gx/saves?mob_off=1

And download the first save file on the list - from 2009. Save it to the MCBACKUP folder.

Step 5: Put a GC memory card in the Wii, load the Homebrew Channel, and run GCMM.

Step 6: Select the "Restore" option in GCMM, and follow the on-screen instructions.

Step 7: Play F-Zero GX with all the AX stuff!