This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• I used screen protectors and back cases for years on my iPhones because I was paranoid about scratches but also because I wanted maximum resale value.

With my Note, I know it's gonna have shit resale, so I'm not as worried, The screen is DEFINITELY easier to read with no protector, colors look brighter, and so far, not a scratch, but I have big fat guy pockets they tell me.

I do still use a back case/cover only because the Note is VERY thin and light without one and it makes me jittery (plus I have huge hands.)
  • Happy Jew Year!
  • edited September 2012
    Once upon a time, oxygen was really fucking bad for things. There were a lot of organisms that couldn't do oxygen, and some had specialized their metabolism for sulfur, or acid. There were some things at that time that could tolerate oxygen, or produce it, or even use it for energy. These extremophiles fucked up the atmosphere and the water and made it rich in oxygen. They stopped being extremophiles when oxygen and carbon dioxide became dominant factors in the environment. [I'm simplifying a lot here.] The other extremophiles got stuck in acid and arsenic lakes, and they kept evolving as single-celled badasses who could do what the aerobes can't. The single-celled aerobes eventually evolved and differentiated into human beings.

I like to think about what those single-celled extremophiles hanging out in tanks of sulfuric acid and nuclear reactor coolant are going to become when we inevitably fuck up the planet in some radical way.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Whenever any of my friends release music, even though they're my friend, I have a visceral desire to make sure whatever I'm making kicks the ever-living shit out of what they made. I think this is what artists actually mean when they talk about having groups of artist friends that "push eachother."
  • Man, kids these days. Ok so the Thinkpads we've gotten at NMU were never that great, and the windows images they use are pretty shitty. Well now the freshmen get fucking thinkpad x230i's, and I still heard someone complaining about how shitty they are. Really? Mine is way worse than those and its still not that bad.
  • Whenever any of my friends release music, even though they're my friend, I have a visceral desire to make sure whatever I'm making kicks the ever-living shit out of what they made. I think this is what artists actually mean when they talk about having groups of artist friends that "push eachother."
    Exactly so.

• edited September 2012
    Man, kids these days. Ok so the Thinkpads we've gotten at NMU were never that great, and the windows images they use are pretty shitty. Well now the freshmen get fucking thinkpad x230i's, and I still heard someone complaining about how shitty they are. Really? Mine is way worse than those and its still not that bad.
    The X230 is the best ultraportable on the market. They're probably just mad that they don't get the new Macbook Pro.
    Whenever any of my friends release music, even though they're my friend, I have a visceral desire to make sure whatever I'm making kicks the ever-living shit out of what they made. I think this is what artists actually mean when they talk about having groups of artist friends that "push eachother."
    That's like me and research. "Oh, you're working on methanogens? I'm gonna engineer an industrial process for bio-octane. Suck my dick."

Also, I feel like someone's ego regarding their research should be called a re-peen.
  • I do that with beer.
  • I do that with beer.
    b-peen?

That's called a "Friendly rivalry", and it's relatively common.
  • I came here to chew bubble gum...and I'm all out of gum.
    That's a shame.

• Hold on, I'll go get him some gum. He came all this way.
    That's a shame.
    That made me chuckle a bit.
  • Oh my god, There's MORE to that?! FUCK.
  • Oh my god, There's MORE to that?! FUCK.
    So much more. There are actually some neat references if you take the time to look but I was not willing to take the time on the comic itself, which is why I am glad someone made that.
    I'm going to start carrying bubble gum around with me just so I can hand it to people who say this.

• Today, two little kids came into the coffeehouse with their grandpa. They were probably 8 and 10. They set up a chessboard, and I was like, "Oh that's cool." But, then I started watching them play. The 8yo used the word "fianchetto," and the 10yo was taking what looked like algebraic notation. They were playing with some serious speed, but there was no clock.

Eventually there was a tempo, which ended with the 10yo saying "Stalemate, good game."

This is why I will never be amazing at chess.
    That's a shame.
    Shoot, it didn't even occur to me to follow the the gaps in the Mario section downward.
    That's a shame.
    Shoot, it didn't even occur to me to follow the the gaps in the Mario section downward.
    I actually specifically waited for someone to stitch it into one big picture cause I knew Monroe would do shit like that all over.
  • edited September 2012
    So I might be heading to NYCC to help Luke man a booth. Anyone want to meetup/have a couch for me to crash on for the weekend?
    Post edited by Coldguy on
    That's a shame.
    My god that picture is expansive.
  • I went left, down the mario holes, around underneath, up past the x-wing, back across the sea, up and down the Buhj Kalifa, and back to the start. Then I found the link to the zoomable image in this thread.
  • NASA scientist to perform experiment on warp drive feasibility .

It's not going to be anywhere near enough to give us a FTL starship, but it's just an attempt to see if it's even possible to perform the necessary space warping at a very small scale. Still pretty cool.
  • Set up my wireless router today and called it Wi Wi, Miss American Fi.
  • edited September 2012
    NASA scientist to perform experiment on warp drive feasibility .

It's not going to be anywhere near enough to give us a FTL starship, but it's just an attempt to see if it's even possible to perform the necessary space warping at a very small scale. Still pretty cool.

EDIT: Man, First Contact's sound editing was pretty terrible.
  • We create and destroy our Stigmata Martyrs.
  • Here I thought I was the only one who knew about that band.
  • I remember seeing Geordi's eyes in that movie and thinking "Dammit, that's WRONG... and yet I want a pair!"