This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comments

• I liked PAX Gold.
  • I call it Churba PAX.
  • I want to go. But damn. That's an expensive trip for me.

I also think it will be a little funny if it's just Scott, Rym, and Churba. Or maybe Luke will figure out how to get there.
  • PAX "why didn't they choose New Zealand, that's where all the (now dilapidated) LoTR sets are!"
  • Since I won't have the time or money to go this time, I am firmly aiming to attend in 2014. Hopefully Katie and I can make it a 2+ week vacation.
  • Depending on the time of year, and other travel plans, PAX Oz could easily be my first.
  • I say we call it PAXXXX.
  • I call it "Hey I just booked a trip to AU, wait, why am I going to a board game convention and not wandering around AU...being a tourist" PAX.
  • I call it "Hey I just booked a trip to AU, wait, why am I going to a board game convention and not wandering around AU...being a tourist" PAX.
    "Oh right, fire tornadoes."
  • edited September 2012
    I call it "Hey I just booked a trip to AU, wait, why am I going to a board game convention and not wandering around AU...being a tourist" PAX.
    I call it spend 3 days PAXing then go to the outback and/or coral reef while avoiding poisonous death trip.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • If I can find a job for six months out of the year in Australia, I can make this work.
    I call it spend 3 days PAXing then go to the outback and/or coral reef while avoiding poisonous death trip.
    Dude. Fire tornadoes.

• edited September 2012
    I call it "Hey I just booked a trip to AU, wait, why am I going to a board game convention and not wandering around AU...being a tourist" PAX.
    That might be a little difficult. Once we know where it is, I'll propose you a bunch of stuff to do that is actually achievable, and/or figuring out the rest of the shit you want to do, and MAKING it achievable.

Seriously, dude, my career for quite a while was travel and hospitality. Let me help you.

Post edited by Churba on
  • Scott and I have a secret advantage: money. Flying from wherever PAXAUS is to other parts of Australia is not a big deal. Only that first long flight is a problem: everything else is just details.
  • I want to go. But damn. That's an expensive trip for me.

I also think it will be a little funny if it's just Scott, Rym, and Churba. Or maybe Luke will figure out how to get there.
    Fuck you.
  • edited September 2012
    Scott and I have a secret advantage: money. Flying from wherever PAXAUS is to other parts of Australia is not a big deal. Only that first long flight is a problem: everything else is just details.
    Hardly a secret. And in response, I point out that not only have I shared the same advantage in the past, I supplement it with far more experience, and the fact you're talking about my home turf here. I'm not privy to the details of your employment, either of you, but I'm pretty damned sure that you can't take infinite time off. You're going to have to pick and choose - I mean, for one example, Scott wants to see the outback, and the Great Barrier reef.

So, we're talking about two places of enormous size, a pretty decent distance apart, this isn't like taking a trip to Camden to see if the ladies really do sing this song. The reef itself, you're going to want to stay at least 2-3 days to see a decent amount of it. So, where are you going to go? Cairns, you can fly into, but you'd be better off going to Port Douglas instead, 90 minutes north of Cairns on the highway. Beaches, easier to get to the reef, and cheaper than Cairns, and easier to get to the Daintree rainforest, too, which you'd be mad to miss out on.

But, even from Cairns - Side note, pronounced almost identically to "Cans" - where are you going to go in the outback? You can fly, sure, but where? Alice Springs? Coober Pedy? Birdsville? Katherine Gorge? Mount Isa? Tennant Creek? Kakadu? The Devil's Marbles? Half those places are not even towns or cities, let alone having an airport for anything larger than the mail service and the flying doctor, and most that do are just another city for all but location - though to be fair, I am treating them slightly unfairly by saying as much. That aside, travel takes time - for example, if you want to see Uluru, sounds simple, but you're knocking at least a two day block out of your schedule - the nearest place you can fly to is Alice, and it's a 450km drive from there each way, plus time to see the rock, and the fact that if you're taking a rental vehicle, they often ban you from driving that stretch at night.

I'm not going to plan your itinerary for you or pack your bags, but I'm offering informational and planning assistance, for free, so you might plan better and extract the best possible out of your trip. I know the place better than any American travel agent, and you know I'm not trying to sell you any stupid packages to make a quota, or get an agent of the month plaque on my wall. You're working within the area of my expertise. I know y'all are capable travelers, I'm just offering an additional resource to get the best you can out of it.
    I want to go. But damn. That's an expensive trip for me.

Oi, lackofcheese and a few others live here too, don't forget, and I don't doubt that most will show up. I'm not alone down here.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Oh, I agree and respect your expertise! Don't get me wrong. ;^) I think Scott hasn't thought through the distances between the things he wants to see. I have a better understanding just due to the extensive travel my grandparents undertook in Australia and New Zealand.
  • edited September 2012
    Oh, I agree and respect your expertise! Don't get me wrong. ;^) I think Scott hasn't thought through the distances between the things he wants to see. I have a better understanding just due to the extensive travel my grandparents undertook in Australia and New Zealand.
    Sorry, not angry, I just got on a roll there, I'm checking the forums while I work, so I'm still in the headspace to write at length. Occupational hazard, I'd suppose.

And he probably hasn't, but he's hardly alone, we lose (If you'll pardon the expression) a number of tourists each year who are driving between towns, they break down or otherwise have strife, and end up deciding to walk to the next town, petrol station or whatever, without realizing it's hundred and fifty kilometers away, sometimes dying en route, half the time walking past a half-dozen farmer's homes, because they don't realize there is one there, after a kilometer of driveway leading to it. It's genuinely the most common mistake, and really not a big one. Except on the times it kills you, but I don't think Scott would quite take it that far, he's not stupid.

Didn't know - or at least, didn't recall - that your grandparents had traveled through, that's pretty cool.

First of presumably many survival tips - Spread the Vegemite thinly.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited September 2012
    First of presumably many survival tips - Spread the Vegemite thinly.
    Likely the most important is to watch where you step, especially on the beach.

Also, use sunscreen.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • First of presumably many survival tips - Spread the Vegemite thinly.
    Also, use sunscreen.
    You motherfucker, now I've got that goddamn song stuck in my head again.

• Yea, I just don't see any compelling reason to go to PAX AUS if you are an east coast gamer, however I do see reasons to go to AUS and hang iwth Churba :-p. Unless Rubin has suddenly got more then 2 weeks vacation in a year I doubt he has the time off to do AUS without cutting into some other trip he would want to do.
  • edited September 2012
    Yea, I just don't see any compelling reason to go to PAX AUS if you are an east coast gamer, however I do see reasons to go to AUS and hang iwth Churba :-p. Unless Rubin has suddenly got more then 2 weeks vacation in a year I doubt he has the time off to do AUS without cutting into some other trip he would want to do.
    You're forgetting one important thing - Robert Khoo has openly stated that there will be a PAX Aus 2014, 2015, 2016, 20-till-we're-all-fucking-dead-and-or-nobody-wants-PAX-Australia-anymore. Fuck, man, the dude makes a quote unquote ludicrous amount of money every year, no reason that he can't come back on any other year that there is a PAX Aus and have a look at some other bit. I've lived here for Twenty-three outta twenty five years, and I've not seen everything yet. I've seen a hell of a lot of England, from oop t' pennines to the white cliffs of dover, but I've not seen all of Australia yet. He'll come back later, and see more. Once we know where it is, he can figure out what he wants to do first, and he proceeds from there.

And yes I'm exquisitely aware that I started a sentence with the words "fuck, man, the dude".
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I will go to PAX AUS, just not PAX AUS the first. I make it my goal to go to every PAX in the world at least once, much like my goal to go to an anime convention in every state in the US.
  • I will go to PAX AUS, just not PAX AUS the first. I make it my goal to go to every PAX in the world at least once, much like my goal to go to an anime convention in every state in the US.
    You do not want to go the anime conventions in Wyoming, Alaska, North Dakota, Montana, etc.
  • I want to go to them once (well, not Alaska because it's a pain in the ass to get to, but besides that I do). I want to see how/if anime fandom culture in America changes regionally. The first example I can think of this is Daryl Surat's compare-and-contrast of Otakon to SakuraCon.
  • I want to go to them once (well, not Alaska because it's a pain in the ass to get to, but besides that I do). I want to see how/if anime fandom culture in America changes regionally. The first example I can think of this is Daryl Surat's compare-and-contrast of Otakon to SakuraCon.
    Wyoming has never had an anime convention. If it did, it would be so empty and boring. I guess it would be a story...
  • edited September 2012
  • Australia - So nice, that The Woz just applied for citizenship.

Also, something, something, Robert Khoo, The Verge, PAX Australia.
    Something, something, linked in OP, something...
  • Well, alright then. Looks like a good time to pour myself into bed when I'm forgetting such basic things like ctrl-f and searching for what I'm about to post.
  • On the off chance I get a lot of work in the next few months, I will make it a goal to get to Ԁ∀X as well as Pax East. I really want to travel more and it'll piss my brother off to no end if I get to visit Australia before him, plus I really want to meet Churba in person and confirm somebody so awesome can exist.