This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Book Club - The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare

edited October 2012 in GeekNights

Tonight on the GeekNights Book Club, we bring our review and thoughts of G. K. Chesterton's The Man Who Was Thursday, published in 1908. It's an Edwardian thriller following a policeman sent to infiltrate the grand anarchist council only to find that it's full of other policemen with similar intents! It's an amusing and relatively enjoyable work, but it would be greatly served by a loose re-imagining in a modern format.

But first, we discuss Mr. Bubble, a ridiculous real-life sitcom-esqe request on Reddit (and the futility of such a thing in light of modern media), and whether cold or warm water hydrates one's body with greater speed (this becoming merely a vehicle, or dare I say, a pretense, for, shall we say, an argument).

For your reference, Scott's Choice for the next book will be The Name of the Wind.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• Of course, I assume that none of you kids read this book, based mostly on both the lack of comments and relative dearth of downloads.

• I read it when I was fifteen so it wasn't really new to me. I want to read it again but I have been rather fuckbusy.
  • edited October 2012
    I read it. I think I'll have to read it again, but it seemed a lot more simple than it was hyped up to be (by the transhuman and cyberpunk folks). It read like it could have been a critique of the church, but apparently Chesterton was a strong Catholic?

It was enjoyable, but I didn't get much more out of it than that.

EDIT: Also, that webcomic is brilliant and true.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • For the record I am reading it; just very very slowly. Waiting to listen until I finish it.
  • For the record I am reading it; just very very slowly. Waiting to listen until I finish it.
    This was a tiny book!
  • HEY! I read it :(
    This was a tiny book!
    Other books came up!

• I read it, just haven't listened to the podcast yet.
  • I'm reading other things.
  • Random note: For whatever reason my mind decided that the president looks exactly like Machine Head, which makes for humorous visualizations while reading.
  • Random note: For whatever reason my mind decided that the president looks exactly like Machine Head, which makes for humorous visualizations while reading.
    I decided he looks like Kingpin, only older, with hair, and more fat and less strong.

• After the initial description, I forgot that he was fat, and my mind focused on his big head, which lead me to visualize him as Drosselmeyer from Princess Tutu the whole time.