This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Newsletter

Comments

• Naw, that's no good.
  • Only 1/3d of the forum or so still listens to Geeknights. Muppet's never listened. I think it would be irritating to more forumites than helpful.
  • Only 1/3d of the forum or so still listens to Geeknights. Muppet's never listened. I think it would be irritating to more forumites than helpful.
    I knew there was something wrong with him.

According to the census, well over half of of forumites still listen to the show.
  • Go for it
  • I think this would just piss people off. I'd be annoyed.
  • I wouldn't auto subscribe them, but I don't think using a 1 time reminder that includes the current newsletter would hurt.
  • That's an excellent idea. A one-off email I wouldn't have a problem with.
  • Scott, I have complaints. I put in my email, it asks me if I mean aria@ymail.com instead. Why? Also, I missed the first couple of letters because I didn't notice it existed. Is there any possible way for me to get those?
  • Scott, I have complaints. I put in my email, it asks me if I mean aria@ymail.com instead. Why? Also, I missed the first couple of letters because I didn't notice it existed. Is there any possible way for me to get those?
    Your first question is a question for mailchimp. I have nothing to do with that. Your section question, not right now.
  • edited October 2012
    Scott, subscribing other people to mailing lists is a big legal no-no. Look at the MailChimp TOS (or maybe the FAQ) they specifically instruct you to only mail people who have given express consent.

I don't think you'll get sued, mainly because total dumbasses don't generally sign up for your forum, but still I'd go with your gut instinct.

EDIT: the relevant section
    Permission Lists Only: You may use MailChimp only to send Emails to individuals and entities that either:

Possibility 1 - Consent Obtained

A. gave or give you written (including electronic) permission to send Emails to them, without subsequently withdrawing such permission and either:
    Consent Given Recently gave you the permission within the prior 12 months; or
    Consent Given More Than One Year Earlier you sent them a promotional email, which was not objected to, within the prior 12 months; or

Possibility 2 - Sold or Negotiated to Sell Product or Service

B. gave or give you their name and email address in connection with their purchase, or negotiations to purchase, a product or service from you, have not opted out from receiving your emails and either:
    Recent Sale or Negotiation such sale or negotiations occurred within the previous 12 months; or
    Sale or Negotiation Occurred More than One Year Earlier you sent them a promotional email, which was not objected to, within the prior 12 months.

If you send Emails to a list, and you get an unusual amount of SPAM complaints (more than 1 out of 1,000), ISPs will begin blocking future emails from your company. They will also request (that's putting it mildly) that MailChimp shut down your account. So if you don't have proof that each recipient on your list has opted-in to receive your emails, or otherwise meets the above requirements, don't import them into MailChimp.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • Ok, then I won't do that.
  • I appreciated the most recent newsletter. The forum weather has kept me out of threads the past two weeks or so (as well as actually having work to do).
  • I want to apologize to anyone who gets the text version of the newsletter. I am stupid with the mailchimp. I was only updating the HTML portion of the email each week. The text version has been the same five times in a row.
  • They aren't specialized, are they? Can't you just copy/paste them here, since the text-only folks also have not gotten to read them?
  • They aren't specialized, are they? Can't you just copy/paste them here, since the text-only folks also have not gotten to read them?
    If the newsletter were posted here then no one would have any need to subscribe to the newsletter and then Scott would have no motivation to make the newsletter.

• But he had a slip up. This can be corrected, and function as a free sampling to potential subscribers!
  • But he had a slip up. This can be corrected, and function as a free sampling to potential subscribers!
    You don't need a free sample for a free newsletter. You just subscribe and then unsubscribe if you don't like it. Noone has ever unsubscribed.
  • What about back issues?
  • Looks like it is hitting the gmail spam filter also so look out for that.
    Gotta trade for 'em on Craigslist. Maybe find someone who has them and get them to forward it to you.
    Gotta trade for 'em on Craigslist. Maybe find someone who has them and get them to forward it to you.
    Its like pokemon only not as fun.

• edited October 2012
    What about back issues?
    Its like pokemon only not as fun.
    I'm willing to forward out my back issues to anyone with a Charizard.

(Fr srs: if anyone wants me to forward the past five newsletters, email me at eryncerise@gmail.com)

Post edited by Eryn on
  • I have a Wubbafet....(I'll send it soon cheers).
  • edited October 2012
    Wooooooobbuffet!

<3

(Also, apparently there are two #5 newsletters, so there are actually six back issues to send out.)
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • I'd like to offer to forward them as well. You can reach me at aria@derpymail.com. Also thanks Eryn!
  • Hahaha. (From the most recent newsletter.)

• I might switch the newsletter from mailchimp to tinyletter. It's run by the same people, but is much simpler. Mailchimp does a lot of fancy shit I simply do not need at all. Should be mostly transparent to readers.
  • For some reason, gmail flagged the latest newsletter as spam.
  • For some reason, gmail flagged the latest newsletter as spam.
    I'm using tinyletter.com. I sent it out as normal. Not much I can do about that.