This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comics worth reading

Comments

• Holy shit that dude's hat.
    Agreed.

• Finished American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_21?url=search-alias=stripbooks&field-keywords=american+born+chinese&sprefix=american+born+chinese,aps,198), and it was great. I loved how he managed to tie three separate stories together into a lovely book. I'm going to have to check out some of the other things he's done now.
  • Thanks for the rec! If our shop doesn't have it, I will do my best to order it in. Always good to seek out series that I should recommend to customers.
  • Anyone who enjoyed the Incal should definitely check out The Metabarons Ultimate Collection, also by Alexandro Jodorowsky. I've read most of this when it was reprinted a couple years ago in softcovers, but those were censored, so I'm super excited about this new collection (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1594650144/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=03GE8KWFB4H90QGHCFER&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846).

Buy this.
  • Saga vol. 1 TPB is available for pre-order for a measly $10.
    Finally got around to reading issue #1. Thumbs up.

Now reading Tezuka's Adolf. Too much Hitler lately.
  • You should have Rym read it and you guys do a geek byte or whatever. However, I encourage you guys to read #4, just so I can hear what you guys have to say about Sextillion, the sex planet.
  • I never thought I'd say this about any comic created by Rob Liefeld, but Prophet vol 1: Remission was absolutely outstanding! Granted, this new incarnation has no involvement from Liefeld, but still...

Prophet reads like some Euro/Heavy Metal meets Miyazaki's Nausicaa sci-fi craziness. Written by Brandon Graham (who also wrote/drew the excellent King City), and with a rotating cast of artists, this comic came out of nowhere and completely blew me away... and for $9.99 you can't go wrong!
  • You should have Rym read it and you guys do a geek byte or whatever. However, I encourage you guys to read #4, just so I can hear what you guys have to say about Sextillion, the sex planet.
    I await this too :)

• edited October 2012
    The last Action Comics book # 13 kind of made tear up a bit.
    I love dogs
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2012
    While I was at NYCC this weekend, I was wandering around through the sea on the show floor and I stopped by at the Midtown Comics booth and I was just poking around the various shelves they had on display, and I spotted a graphic novel that caught my interest.

Right away I thought the style was really adorable and I picked it up to see what it was about. Very simply, it's about a girl in late middle school setting up and performing a musical in her drama club, and the main conceit of the book is the portrayal of drama both on stage and off-stage.

Because I was a theater geek in high school, I bought it sight unseen. I loved every minute of the book and thought it was a wonderful coming-of-age story (I'm a sucker for that shit). It wasn't whiny, mopey, or half-assed. It was wistful, nostalgic, funny, and incredibly authentic.

Also, because it is related to theater, there is a bit of homosexuality in the book. However, for a book targeted at younger audiences, it was treated maturely, with no kid gloves, and had a progressive stance about it; I give it major props because of that.

I cannot recommend it enough and I suggest anyone who is a theater major or into the stage at all: read it immediately. Now I am waiting for her previous book , Smile, to come into the mail so I can tear into that one too.

As a side note, she'll be making an appearance at a comic shop in Brooklyn (Bergen Street Comics, 470 Bergen St.) on November 3. I'm more than likely going to be there.

Post edited by Geo on
  • Raina is awesome.
  • GeoGeo
    edited October 2012
    Raina is awesome.
    Oh? Fan of her books too?

As an aside, I read Smile and thought it was a very well made graphic novel from the perspective of someone who has gone through wearing braces. Once again, I can relate to that since I had braces too, but I did not have it as bad as she did. However, I didn't like it as much as Drama; but I think that is simply because Drama catered more to my interests (gasp), but that does not make Smile a bad book. It is an excellent, poignant graphic novel that I think anyone can read and get something out of.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Oh mans. I had braces for something like 6 years. I should look into reading that comic.

In other news, I finally collected every volume of Sanctuary, and picked up The Manhattan Projects (which looks really interesting).
  • Raina is awesome.
    Yes! I read Smile and her "Baby Sitters Club" adaptation. I met her a couple times at the MoCCA.

• GeoGeo
    edited October 2012
    Raina is awesome.
    Yes! I read Smile and her "Baby Sitters Club" adaptation. I met her a couple times at the MoCCA.

Oh she goes to MoCCA? I've been meaning to make my first trip to MoCCA next year and that should be one of the first places I stop.

Edit: By the way Emily, I don't mean to sound sexist or anything, but do you think a guy like me should read her Babysitter's Club books. I've known about that series since I was a kid and ignored it because of the terrible default sexism that society programmed into me. Is there anything that I could get out of it?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • edited October 2012
    Not the books. The books are pretty lame, and only really suitable for 4th graders and even then I found them boring. (For library serials, I read more Nancy Drew at that age.)
    Raina did a pretty cute adaptation of them, though, that I read at a friend's house a few years back. It was a fun little comic. If you like the high school drama aspect of her work, that adaptation feels like it fits in okay.

Also, MoCCA might be not happening because the museum was subsumed into the society of illustrators. Keep you guys posted on developments on that front.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Not the books. The books are pretty lame, and only really suitable for 4th graders and even then I found them boring. (For library serials, I read more Nancy Drew at that age.)
    Raina did a pretty cute adaptation of them, though, that I read at a friend's house a few years back. It was a fun little comic. If you like the high school drama aspect of her work, that adaptation feels like it fits in okay.

Also, MoCCA might be not happening because the museum was subsumed into the society of illustrators. Keep you guys posted on developments on that front.
    No, it seems like MoCCA is happening. I talked to someone who was getting a table. They had some shenanigans where they had to re-send checks and make them out to the Society of Illustrators instead.
  • 7 Billion Needles is pretty whatever. Drops of God rules.
  • I know I already posted about this before, but if you enjoyed the Incal, you owe it to yourself to check out the Metabarons Ultimate Collection by Alexandro Jodorowsky and Juan Gimenez. It's like the best parts of Star Wars, Dune, and all kinds of crazy European science fiction all blended together.

cover

ship

battle
  • I know I already posted about this before, but if you enjoyed the Incal, you owe it to yourself to check out the Metabarons Ultimate Collection by Alexandro Jodorowsky and Juan Gimenez. It's like the best parts of Star Wars, Dune, and all kinds of crazy European science fiction all blended together.
    This actually looks pretty hot... is there a preferred reading order to getting into this here Incal / Metabarons / Techno-Pope stuff?
  • edited November 2012
    The INCAL storyline is completely separate, there may be a timeline but it stands on it's own. Also be advised that french sci-fi can get really, really weird. Also boobies, lots of them.

EDIT: just learned Jodorowsky tried and failed to make a Dune movie!

EDIT2: The Metabarons RPG!!!
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on

• EDIT2: The Metabarons RPG!!!
    Wow. That's some one-off convention fodder right there!

• EDIT2: The Metabarons RPG!!!
    Wow. That's some one-off convention fodder right there!

I actually own that, but have never had a chance to play it. One of these days...
  • Hawkeye by Matt Fraction and David Aja is a comic worth reading.

• edited November 2012
    I will definitely be getting the trade :D
    By the way Scrym, are you guys doing the review of the trades of the few New 52 worth reading, such as Batman, Action Comics, Flash, and Aquaman?
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • I will definitely be getting the trade :D
    By the way Scrym, are you guys doing the review of the trades of the few New 52 worth reading, such as Batman, Action Comics, Flash, and Aquaman?
    Do you have any idea how many unread comics I have?
  • I will definitely be getting the trade :D
    Do you have any idea how many unread comics I have?
    You have many, some of them are mine!

• edited November 2012
    Spider-Men gave me the warm fuzzies. ♥

You'll probably get the most out of it if you've read at least a little bit of one Spider-man or the other; in particular, some of the best moments in the book work best if you know a bit about Aunt May, Gwen, and MJ in the Ultimate universe. Still, that aside, it gives you enough to go on in general to enjoy it, I think. You get a fun time with the two wallcrawlers, some nice quiet emotional moments, decent action, and cool, slick arts.

Plus it's only a mini-series, so it's a good one-and-done book now that it's been collected. If you're already a big Spider-fan, I would definitely recommend picking up the hardcover that just came out. If you're more casual, it'll be worth getting either once the prices go down on Comixology or the trade paperback comes out.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • edited December 2012
    I just finished Action Comics # 15.
    When I first started reading it I felt really confused. It really didn't made any sense to me, specially after # 14. Then, in only a couple of panels everything changed. It all made sense, the narration of the overarching story finally had a proper shape, and I can't wait for Action Comics # 16 and I am glad that I kept following the story.
    If anyone wants to get the trade I would totally recommend to get it when Volume 1 and 2 become available. Because, they are connected to each other one will not work without the other. Also, the side stories at the end of each issue sometimes make or break each "book: in my opinion.
    Post edited by Erwin on