This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Magicians: Language Learning RPG

edited October 2012 in Role Playing Games
Hey everyone,

So I've written an RPG designed to help players learn a language. Essentially, it's a game in which everyone plays magicians who go to a college of magic and where the magic system is the Korean language. I've launched a kickstarter for it and, to my surprise, it's being really well received. I'm looking at putting out a version for Japanese next but that's after the dust settles on Magicians.

If anyone is interested, the kickstarter is here: http://kck.st/TuOkPa
If anyone has any questions, comments I'd love to answer them!

Comments

• That is pretty much the coolest idea I've heard for an RPG. Very clever.
  • I'm glad you like it! If there's one thing I've learned from this kickstarter it's that we have a really awesome global community around tabletop rpgs
  • I saw your Kickstarter yesterday, and it is a crazy good idea. I wonder, though. What if someone playing is fluent in the other language, they will maybe be overpowered?

I actually think a language you should consider is Hebrew. It's less useful in the modern world, but it lends itself well to being used for magic spells and is thematically relevant to clerics.
  • This is awesome! I'm very interested in Korean, and this seems like a fun way to practice.
  • I saw your Kickstarter yesterday, and it is a crazy good idea. I wonder, though. What if someone playing is fluent in the other language, they will maybe be overpowered?

I actually think a language you should consider is Hebrew. It's less useful in the modern world, but it lends itself well to being used for magic spells and is thematically relevant to clerics.
    I think the point is to teach people a useful language.
  • If you go to Israel, Hebrew is useful.
  • Seems like you could adapt this to basically any language. After you've completed this version, are there any plans to make one for another language? Latin perhaps.
  • Seems like you could adapt this to basically any language. After you've completed this version, are there any plans to make one for another language? Latin perhaps.
    Depending on the mechanics, you might have to change it up some - for example, French has two grammatical genders, Russian has three(or rather, two and neutral) plus Animate and Inanimate, Basque doesn't have genders, but has different rules for Animate and inanimate nouns, and English has none, nor does Japanese, but both have their own weird rules that don't suit much else.

The Latin version would be fucking hardcore.
  • Lorem Ipsum... Dolor Sit Amet!
  • Eto Cafe Num!
    Depending on the mechanics, you might have to change it up some - for example, French has two grammatical genders, Russian has three(or rather, two and neutral) plus Animate and Inanimate, Basque doesn't have genders, but has different rules for Animate and inanimate nouns, and English has none, nor does Japanese, but both have their own weird rules that don't suit much else.

I am now imagining spels going incredibly haywire when you use the wrong genders or other grammatical trespasses. Does the system have mechanics for this? I hope it does. Sort of like Burning Wheels wheel of magic, except more deterministic depending on how you screwed up the language.

I am now imagining spels going incredibly haywire when you use the wrong genders or other grammatical trespasses. Does the system have mechanics for this? I hope it does. Sort of like Burning Wheels wheel of magic, except more deterministic depending on how you screwed up the language.
    I think you really need a GM who is fluent in the language of choice. That way when you mess up, the thing you actually said is what ends up happening. Much hilarity will ensue.

Use a resurrection spell, use the wrong inanimate and gender nouns, bring your mate's character back as a transexual zombie.

• Aren't all zombies transsexual?
  • edited October 2012
    Aren't all zombies transsexual?
    How so? Asexual, I'd give you, but transexual is a new one.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited October 2012
    Theya re if you want them to be... Do you want them to be cheeseless?

Post edited by GreyHuge on
  • edited October 2012
    We're talking about gender identity here, not sexual attraction.

Anyways, I'd agree that in general the term wouldn't be apply, though if we take Wikipedia's definition an argument could be made:
    Transsexualism describes the condition in which an individual identifies with a gender inconsistent or not culturally associated with their assigned sex, i.e. in which a person's assigned sex at birth conflicts with their psychological gender.
    After all, a gender identity of "zombie" is not consistent with whatever the zombie's assigned sex happens to be.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Aren't all zombies transsexual?
    We're talking about gender identity here, not sexual attraction.

Anyways, I'd agree that in general the term wouldn't be apply, though if we take Wikipedia's definition an argument could be made:
    Transsexualism describes the condition in which an individual identifies with a gender inconsistent or not culturally associated with their assigned sex, i.e. in which a person's assigned sex at birth conflicts with their psychological gender.
    After all, a gender identity of "zombie" is not consistent with whatever the zombie's assigned sex happens to be.
    A fair assessment, but I think it presumes that zombies HAVE a gender identity, which I honestly couldn't tell you if they do or they don't, I simply don't know. Depends on the style of zombie, maybe, but I don't recall any that do.

• Good lord, 12 posts in and it goes to "Do zombie have a gender identity?"

Wonderful idea though, guy or gal.
  • I'll back it. If people are actually interested in a Latin version, I'd run it when/if it comes out.
  • Yeah ok, we made it from language-learning RPG to zombie gender identity. I think that's enough forum for today.
  • I know, right? Zombie gender identity? It's like they've never read the zombie survival guide.
  • Yeah ok, we made it from language-learning RPG to zombie gender identity. I think that's enough forum for today.
    Really, I think it's not enough. I'd love to see where this one goes.

It's like watching a trainwreck. Except it's more like a highway, and all the cars are donuts, and then the Dunkin' Donuts logo rolls down the street.
  • Hey guys! Sorry for the late reply - I'm on Seoul time so it's 7AM here. I'm going to put out a hack pack so people will be able to put out unofficial hacks of the game and will detail how to hack any and all aspects of the game.

I can't really announce anything yet but I've got some very cool, very credible people wanting to help out with a Japanese version which is probably going to be the next step. Especially since Korean and Japanese are so related, Korean will be a good stepping stone for those that wan to learn it but I don't want people to have to wait for my other versions before they get to hacking their preferred languages!

Korean doesn't have gender issues so it wasn't something I had to consider but, going forward, there will be lots of adaptations I'll have to make for future languages for sure!

And don't worry about the when/if it comes out thing - the game is written and complete, all the artwork is in and paid for and the kickstarter will pay for printing and shipping. I'm working with industry vets like Ryan Macklin (Dresden Files, Leverage) and Daniel Solis (Happy Birthday Robot, Do, Houses of the Blooded). With so much time and money invested you best your ass it's coming out!
  • But what's your opinion on Zombie gender identity?
  • I'd definitely say genderless, asexual. And gender identity? The only thoughts, re: instinct, zombies have are for braaaaiins
  • A sensible answer.

Your game idea seems awesome, by the way; it's definitely something I would want to try.
  • A sensible answer.

Your game idea seems awesome, by the way; it's definitely something I would want to try.
    True that. Maybe at PAX Australia?
  • Unfortunately I live in Korea and I doubt I'll have the disposable income to get there. By that time the game will definitely be out though and if someone wanted to run a playtest or something that would be awesome - so awesome that I would supply them with the necessary materials to do so.
  • edited October 2012
    Unfortunately I live in Korea and I doubt I'll have the disposable income to get there. By that time the game will definitely be out though and if someone wanted to run a playtest or something that would be awesome - so awesome that I would supply them with the necessary materials to do so.
    That's what I was thinking. But hey, you never know, man. And if we do run a playtest(I'll be happy to simply buy the game for it, I'm going to anyway so why put you to extra effort?) I'll do my best to make a record of it and send it to you with whatever notes and such that I have.

And hey, if you do come on down, We'll grab a few drinks. That'd be pretty sweet.
    Post edited by Churba on