This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Wednesday - One Piece 6: Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island

edited October 2012 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, low on energy and flush with despair, we review the sixth One Piece movie: Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island (ワンピース the movie オマツリ男爵と秘密の島). It's over 90 minutes of... well, pretty-much every other anime movie based on a franchise but unable to affect the canon of said franchise. But, it was directed by Mamoru Hosoda. In the news, the new My Little Pony comic book is outselling Uncanny X-Men. See you at Burning Con this weekend!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Here's the guide to downloading english-subtitled anime from the internet since apparently Rym and Scott had some trouble:
    1) Get mIRC
    2) connect to #news @ irc.rizon.net
    3) use the @find or !find function, or open your browser and go to http://news.is-fabulo.us/
    4) Copy the xdcc send command for the file you want (best bot is Ginpachi-Sensei), put it into the news channel, and accept the file the bot sends you.

Done. Never had a problem with that and has almost every non-licensed anime that was ever subtitled. I've downloaded more than 90% of the anime I ever downloaded through this process. Some bots only accept registered users, but the registration is trivial.

Also, One Piece movie 10, Strong World, is canon, though it also doesn't feature much character development or other stuff. It was in fact overseen by the manga author Eiichiro Oda, and the story was not released as a manga or in the TV series. Movies 8 and 9 are kind of compilation movies from established story arcs, so they're pseudo-canon.

As for Movie 6, the interesting thing is that Luffy doesn't save the day. It's that uncle that saves it. Also, Daryl Surat did a review of this film. I personally thought it was okay. Not great, but not terrible. It is very dark, twisted and trippy though, mach darker than the other One Piece stuff.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • For all that, I'll just buy a DVD.
  • How to torrent:

Install torrent client. Go to pirate bay. Search. Click.
  • edited October 2012
    And then get fucked by fake, password-protected, or foreign-language torrents.

Scott, you realize that I could have written the same thing as "Install mIRC, go to this channel, search, download", right? My point wasn't that it's easier. My point was that it's trustworthy. You get what you are looking for, 100%.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Maybe I just don't torrent very much, but I've never, ever gotten a file from torrent that wasn't what I thought it was, even once.

Now, a billion years ago I got a decoy mp3 or two, but literally just one or two.
  • I always see random fake bullshit torrents on torrent sites. Not anime really, but for movies. However, the irc channel works perfectly for me and it downloads on top speed as you are not dependent on a critical mass of other people hosting the file.
  • Sure, there are random fake bullshit torrents, but they're REALLY obvious, and in the rare instance that one is NOT obvious, TPB has several indicators of authenticity from the little "trust" icons to the comment section...
  • Well, you heard me attack Rym on his not reading of the notes on the torrents. I'm pretty sure he just sucks at it. I have never made such a mistake.
  • He doesn't read the notes? I ALWAYS read the notes. You don't want to be surprised by that stuff.
  • I found this video related to Rym's TOTD. It starts out kinda meh then I started laughing.

• edited October 2012
    "[We start doing things] bullshit happens and after [some time] it ends"

How appropriate, a review that sumed itself up and disappeared into the ether, never to be given much consideration ever again.
    Post edited by Conan-San on
  • The one time I saw an episode of One Piece, it was in Italy. I totally forgot about the series until just now.
  • I remember your podcast about all those shounen-jump-shows, where you among other things complain that the fights take too long. And I feel like bringing it up again:

Before I knew Anime, watching western cartoons even as a kid, I found it annoying, that a lot of them are brought down by the fact, that almost every episode has to be one-and-done, that they have only 20 minutes for character-development and action.
    You briefly mentioned it talking about super-hero-comics. They have 36 Pages (not counting the adds) for introduction of the characters, character-development, a fight-scene and everything has to be leading up to an cliffhanger.

Are you still down on Shounen-Jump? Its basically the same formula we've known for years just stretched out over more episodes/ chapters... which is a good thing.
  • You guys do know his name is pronounced LOOfy, right?
  • I've always mostly hated that formula, and stretching it out only makes it worse.
  • When I was young and stupid and first started watching Naruto I though it cool how fights lasted more than one episode. It felt more epic. But eventually I grew up and grew bored of such long endless fights.
  • I've always mostly hated that formula, and stretching it out only makes it worse.
    Watching some "kids" get into anime and obsess over One Piece and Bleach has been interesting. Everyone's entitled to enjoy their first shounen series. It's only in retrospective that most of them realize just how formulaic it is.

That said, One Piece does have a lot of better qualities than the one I watched (Dragon Ball Z).
  • I'd like to see how a One Piece anime that isn't 4kidz is, but I'm perfectly content to just read it and watch the non-compilation movies.
  • edited October 2012
    I'd like to see how a One Piece anime that isn't 4kidz is, but I'm perfectly content to just read it and watch the non-compilation movies.
    FUNimation has the first 200 or so episodes (uncut dub and sub) for free on their website. They've been streaming it since 2009, and it's still on there to watch at your leisure.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • That said, One Piece does have a lot of better qualities than the one I watched (Dragon Ball Z).
    Quite possibly. Outlaw Star, however, is 100% perfect.