This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Star Wars: The Disney Era

Comments

• edited November 2012
    TNG and Stargate shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath. Stargate belongs with "Tremors the Series".
    What are you possibly going to gain by arguing with me about it? Different strokes for different folks man. Chill out.

Chill out? Who's upset? You're upset. Why are you upset? Nobody has ever ribbed you about liking Stargate before?
    NO!! I WILL BE THE CHILL ONE DAMN IT!! NOW CALM THE FUCK DOWN!!!
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    Woodhouse, that was a $50k enameled Chinese tea table. Late Ming, irreplaceable. You knew this.

I'm not even mad, Woodhouse. I'm just disappointed. I'm still going to break your sewing machine and throw knives at you, but it's disappointment doing that, not anger. I'm only doing this because I love you.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Give me your clothes.
  • Has any movie director been named for this next episode?
  • I like Stargate. I like TNG. Can't we all just get along?
  • Okay, let's start nominating directors! We'll look back at this thread in 2015 and see who was right. You have three picks each, and put them in order.

I think the most likely will be Brad Bird. Second and third Edgar Wright and Rian Johnson.
  • I don't think Edgar Wright would be tapped for this. It would probably be someone who has made multiple successful big-budget blockbusters that isn't a total hack (so Michael Bay can easily be ruled out).

That being said, I want either Brad Bird or Andrew Stanton.
  • I like Stargate. I like TNG. Can't we all just get along?
    Exactly. Stargate is goofier than any of the Treks, but that gave it a charm all its own. In fact, when they started to get "darker and edgier" with Stargate Universe is when I stopped watching it as it just didn't seem to work.
  • Stargate is the Dragonlance of television sci fi.
    Does that make Farscape the "FLOGLOTEN LREALMS" of television sci fi?

• Brad Bird seems likely, maybe J.J. Abrams if he's not busy Trekking.
  • Peter Jackson.
  • SeaQuest DSV in the house.

Sorry I couldn't resist the troll.
  • That being said, I want either Brad Bird or Andrew Stanton.
    Andrew Stanton? Are you high? You realize that John Carter was such a bomb that "The film's perceived failure led to the resignation of Rich Ross, the head of Walt Disney Studios..." If any director was to helm the first Disney Star Wars movie, the guy who made the studio's biggest flop so far ain't gonna be the one.

I've not seen John Carter, so I'm just going by news reports.
  • SeaQuest DSV in the house.

Sorry I couldn't resist the troll.
    I liked SeaQuest better than Stargate.
  • I think directors who are currently working on big name science fiction/fantasy franchises wouldn't be a good fit. That rules out Jackson (LOTR/Hobbit), J.J. Abrams (Star Trek), Michael Bay (oh god no) and Joss Whedon (Avengers, etc). Even Andrew Stanton was meant to be doing a series of John Carter movies.

But what do I know...
  • That being said, I want either Brad Bird or Andrew Stanton.
    Andrew Stanton? Are you high? You realize that John Carter was such a bomb that "The film's perceived failure led to the resignation of Rich Ross, the head of Walt Disney Studios..." If any director was to helm the first Disney Star Wars movie, the guy who made the studio's biggest flop so far ain't gonna be the one.

I've not seen John Carter, so I'm just going by news reports.
    I am 100% aware of this, but do you know what else he has directed? Finding Nemo and Wall-e, but were huge critical and commercial successes. Disney isn't letting Stanton go anywhere and still want him to direct movies for them.

Besides, there were a number of contributing factors as to why Rich Ross was fired. John Carter was just the tipping point.

• I hate to bring up the obvious, but what about Spielberg? I'm not aware of him having announced any new big projects for 2013-2015.
  • Personally I see him doing one or two more Nemo movies, and never doing live action movies for Disney again.
  • Peter Jackson.
    Interesting thought, but I don't know if it's quite his style. He does more...epic and sweeping. Or, y'know, Meet the Feebles.

Though The Hobbit might be much more of an "adventure" movie, so who knows.

I say Michael Bay for the new Star Wars. We'll get Star Destroyers with truck nuts. It'll still be better than Phantom Menace.

• Spielberg is waaaaay too old. Science fiction is a young director's game. I don't think anyone over 50 would work.

That said, I didn't check the ages of the directors I named.
  • I'd like to see Neill Blomkamp take a swing at something Star Wars. Maybe not helming a trilogy but something.

But hell, even Paul WS Anderson would be an improvement.
  • Ridley Scott
    Jar Jar chestbursters.
  • Actually, Spielberg would be a good choice if you wanted to continue the traditional Star Wars "feel." These are adventure movies, not really thought-provoking science fiction. A director who does big adventure would keep it in line with the classics.
  • Charlie Kaufman, no doubt.
  • I don't think there is a single feel to Star Wars movies. Empire is a very, very different feel to Star Wars, and Jedi takes it in a different direction again, though closer to the original. The tone of the prequel trilogies is all over the place too. I just watched Attack of the Clones last night, and I'd totally forgotten about this epic battle sequence at the end. It's actually one of the most impressive battle scenes I've ever seen in a movie, but it was drowned out in my memory for all the terrible "love" scenes at the start.

I think the genius of the the Star Wars saga (all episodes) is that with all that variety, it still somehow fits together, and with all the many, many inconsistencies, people still find and agree on a single epic story. Adding to it doesn't require the same style at all.

After the latest Indiana Jones movie, I really hope we don't see another Lucas/Spielberg production.
  • There was no fourth Indiana Jones movie.

I get your point about each one having a different specific "feel," but I think they're under an umbrella of high-spirited adventure. Sure, things hit a down note in Empire, but that's just there to give us contrast later on. A good epic saga will go through different specific tones while maintaining an overall theme.

It would be interesting, though, to see a director with a very distinctive and quirky style tackle the movie.

Or Kenneth Branagh.
  • Branagh would have no action scenes, and it would all be the protagonist monologuing about whether the Light side or Dark side is truly the real force of good. Three movies later, he decides on Light and cuts Darth ______ in half.
  • I quite liked Thor.
  • Thor was good, yes.
  • Branagh would have no action scenes, and it would all be the protagonist monologuing about whether the Light side or Dark side is truly the real force of good. Three movies later, he decides on Light and cuts Darth ______ in half.
    Is that really Branagh or the material he covers? There is only so much you can do to make a performance of Shakespeare action packed. I seem to remember his version of Frankenstein as being pretty good.