This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Voted?

edited November 2012 in Politics
The line was long, but the deed is done.
Post edited by George Patches on

Comments

• edited November 2012
    No, and I'm not going to.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Fuck off foreigner :P
  • Voted during lunch on Sunday and dropped it off after.
  • Not yet. I'm going after work. Jack Fellure for President!
  • I voted last week on the most important issue we will be dealing with in the next few years: who will be having a major speaking section in the Hall of Presidents for the next four years.
  • Going to vote in about an hour or so.
  • Voted three weeks ago by absentee Ballot.
  • Mailed in my ballot over the weekend.
  • Going to vote after work.
  • Gonna vote in a few hours.
  • Not gonna vote for obvious reasons. Called in a favor I had running with a mate of mine who wasn't going to vote, so that he's voting in my stead.

Fuck it, if I'm aiming to be a citizen one day, I might as well get an early start, right?
  • Aren't all districts supposed to be split by roughly equal population? If so, why do some have so much longer lines than others? Don't care because my district had the shortest lines! I passed by another polling location on the way to the subway, MEGA LINE DOWN THE STREET.

At least I can look forward to some real democracy next year when we vote for Mayor of NYC.
  • Gerrymandering.
  • Gerrymandering.
    Gerrymandering still keeps districts with equal populations, just weird shapes.
  • Equal census but probably not equal voting proportions.
  • Gerrymandering.
    That doesn't mean they'll get funding proportional to their district's population.
  • Gerrymandering.
    That doesn't mean they'll get funding proportional to their district's population.
    There should still be roughly the same number of people in each district, so there should be roughly the same number of people in line to vote for each district. The only way that would not be the case is if

1) The census was WAY off (it's not).
    2) The people in one district really don't like voting or people from another district fucking love voting.
    3) People in different districts are voting at different times of day so one line is short while the other line is long, and then it flips.
  • 3 seems pretty likely. Poorer neighborhoods are more likely to have staggered work shifts and thus more staggered voting, I'd imagine.
  • Voted then went off to work. Line was pretty much non-existent to get to the booths -- the only line was getting into the elementary school parking lot.

There certainly does seem to be a pattern where voting lines come and go. My town only has one polling place, the aforementioned elementary school. Apparently lines were crazy long at 7 AM when the polls opened up, then died down around 7:30, then started picking back up again around 9.
  • edited November 2012
    Gerrymandering.
    There should still be roughly the same number of people in each district, so there should be roughly the same number of people in line to vote for each district. The only way that would not be the case is if

2) The people in one district really don't like voting or people from another district fucking love voting.
    3) People in different districts are voting at different times of day so one line is short while the other line is long, and then it flips.
    The numbers of people wanting to vote may be similar, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the amounts of equipment and staff available to actually process the votes are similar. Lines that are getting processed more quickly will end up much shorter.

That's what 2bfree's point was - differences in funding are significant.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Gerrymandering.

The numbers of people wanting to vote may be similar, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the amounts of equipment and staff available to actually process the votes are similar. Lines that are getting processed more quickly will end up much shorter.

That's what 2bfree's point was - differences in funding are significant.
    There was one table for each district. They were all equal. Though, maybe the efficiency of the poll workers at the tables could have been different.
  • There was one table for each district. They were all equal. Though, maybe the efficiency of the poll workers at the tables could have been different.
    True. Some senior citizens are a bit more alert at 8 AM than others. :)

• Absentee last week, no lines. Being in college is pretty alright. :)
  • edited November 2012
    Or living in a state that only does such things. Maybe one day I'll move to a state that does that election booth thingy to see what it's all about.

Edit: I recently found out that my county has online tracking for our absentee ballots. Very cool. They seem to be behind, but that's to be expected. I should have mailed my ballot sooner.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Remember kids: absentee ballots aren't even counted unless the race is close within a certain percentage from the regular ballots alone.
  • edited November 2012
    Or living in a state that only does such things. Maybe one day I'll move to a state that does that election booth thingy to see what it's all about.
    Washington only does mail-in ballots? I thought Oregon was the only state that did that, though I could be wrong.

Actually, depending on the local population, etc., voting at a booth isn't that bad unless you show up at a "rush hour." Most of my time was spent finding a parking place. After that, the most time before getting a ballot was spent figuring out what door was open to go in to vote (they changed it this year from a side entrance to the school to the main entrance for some reason).

When I got inside, a cheerful volunteer asked for my street name and told me what precinct I was in. I went to an appropriate table, gave a cheerful senior citizen my name and address, and she gave me a ballot after checking my name off in a log book. I took the ballot to an empty booth (all of them were okay), filled in the little dots, then went to another table where another cheerful senior citizen asked for my name and address again to check me off in another log book and then directed me to put my ballot in to the reader/tabulator machine. Once I was into the polling place, it took me maybe all of about 10 minutes to vote and most of that time was reading the legalize of the ballot initiatives one last time (I had already read them online the night before, just to make sure -- although one new one was on the ballot that wasn't listed online for some reason).

It's kinda nice, in an old-timey sort of way, but I'm a softy for old-timey things when they aren't generally detrimental to my way of life.

Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • edited November 2012
    In Washington state, the races are close enough. They have been for the past several elections. ^_~ I want to say they all the ballots get counted. I would say to Rym's comment about absentee ballots not being counted are for states that offer both types of voting.

@Lou both Washington and Oregon are the only two states that conducts their elections by mail.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I might have to cancel my training session this afternoon. I don't know how long it is going to take me to type in "Adolf Hitler" as the write-in candidate for 47 spots.