This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Need to remove annoying toolbar.

edited November 2012 in Technology
My computer has just recently become a target by the SweetPacks Toolbar and the damn thing WON'T GO AWAY!

I've tried uninstalling it, it hangs.
I tried using someone's suggestion and cleaning out IE's cookies with CCleaner, it still hangs.
Several other tutorials just give me suggestions for the Firefox version (which I don't have, thankfuly) and aren't much help.

Does anyone know how to make the SweetPacks Toolbar for IE not hang when I try to uninstall it? This thing is bugging the crap out of me!
Post edited by Daikun on

Comments

• Try this, not sure if it works but from the comments it looks like it may.
  • Try this, not sure if it works but from the comments it looks like it may.
    That's the website where I got the suggestion that didn't work.
  • edited November 2012
    Okay, I just figured it out.

Somehow, deleting all the registry files = uninstalling. Huh...

I went back to CCleaner to remove it, and it was just gone.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • Reformat.
  • Reinstall Windows.
  • Buy a Mac.
  • Delete IE. Everytime someone does, a web developer somewhere gets his/her wings.
  • For a second I had just assumed you were using a browser other than IE. Yeah, don't use that.
  • edited November 2012
    How does one delete IE?
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • Format your hard drive.
  • edited November 2012
    Firefox version (which I don't have, thankfuly)
    Probably the bigger issue for you here. IE isn't the most optimal browser, but assuming you already know that and still want to use it, find a way to delete/reinstall IE or do some spring cleaning in your Program Files. You'd be surprised how much data gets left behind after uninstalling programs.

EDIT: Late for the game here, didn't notice your fixed-it post since so many already posted afterwards.

Post edited by Loganator456 on
  • To be fair, that's expected behavior for IE. So, really, there's nothing happening that shouldn't be happening.
  • Format your hard drive.
  • edited November 2012
    Step by step instructions:
    Format your hard drive.
    Reformat.
    Reinstall Windows.
    Use Chrome
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Take a big jug of roughly 45-55 percent mixture of powdered aluminium and iron oxide, put it in a terracotta pot, and place on top of your computer, then stick a road flare most of the way into it. Then, light the road flare, and stand well back.

Probably better if you do this outside.
  • edited November 2012
    Code your own web browser.
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • Read HTML files as plain text and interpret the formatting in your head.
  • The nuclear option.
  • Take a big jug of roughly 45-55 percent mixture of powdered aluminium and iron oxide, put it in a terracotta pot, and place on top of your computer, then stick a road flare most of the way into it. Then, light the road flare, and stand well back.

If you don't have a road flare, a strip of magnesium will work just a good.

• Read HTML files as plain text and interpret the formatting in your head.
    For added fun, try doing the same with CSS.

Once that's done, fill the pot with chlorine trifluoride and repeat.
  • edited November 2012
    If you don't have a road flare, a strip of magnesium will work just a good.
    Sparklers work too, basically the same thing Andrew said but more likely to be on hand.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • If you don't have a road flare, a strip of magnesium will work just a good.
    Sparklers work too, basically the same thing Andrew said but more likely to be on hand.
    True, but it's better to grind up a few of them to make a more dense lump, and light that with a remaining sparkler - It burns hotter, and is more assured to light properly.