This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Crystal Empire

edited November 2012 in GeekNights

Radio Free Equestria episode 11

The Crystal Empire

The Crystal Empire has returned after a thousand years, and Dark King Sombre is chomping at the bit to return to the Crystal Throne. But wasn't Luna bashished to the moon for... a thousand years?

What exactly happened a thousand years ago, and does it have anything to do with Nightmare Moon's appearance? Who was Sombre exactly? Why were Luna and Celestia so concerned with Twilight Sparkle's test? We have a theory that ties them together.

Source Link

Comments

• These long-form, quick-to-air episodes take a lot of work, so if you want to see more of them, spread this to the ends of the earth. I base my further interest in spending Saturdays finishing these so quickly entirely on the viewcount. ;^)
  • edited November 2012
    A Crystal Fair. According to this book, it was established by their first queen, and became their most important tradition. The Fair was held every year to renew the spirit of love and unity in the Empire so they could protect it from harm."
    Given that they say "first queen", it seems less likely that the heart belonged to / was created by King Sombra. It's not conclusive, but it weighs heavily against your idea.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • A Crystal Fair. According to this book, it was established by their first queen, and became their most important tradition. The Fair was held every year to renew the spirit of love and unity in the Empire so they could protect it from harm."
    Given that they say "first queen", it seems less likely that the heart belonged to / was created by King Sombra. It's not conclusive, but it weighs heavily against your idea.
    Only saw episode once. Do not remember them saying "first queen". Will re-watch.
  • These long-form, quick-to-air episodes take a lot of work.
    Ugh, I hear ya. I did a video yesterday too. Still uploading.
  • Who says Sombre wasn't the first king? Left his heart behind, vanished, returned later full of evil.
  • edited November 2012
    Well, he could've been a king, but he probably wasn't a queen.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited November 2012
    I think the short answer is that the Crystal Empire IS like the Roman Empire. It started off in a city, then grew to encompass most, if not all of, Equestria, before King Sombre (which still begs the question of why he wasn't Emperor Sombre) got his evil all up in it and it shrunk to just the city we saw. We can see all kinds of ruins across Europe from the Roman Empire, but the best surviving relic of that age is Rome itself. It could be the same way with the city the ponies visited in the show.
    Post edited by Jack Draigo on
  • Well, he could've been a king, but he probably wasn't a queen.
    He left his queen behind with his heart.
    That's the most reasonable reconciliation, but then it's strange for this not to have been mentioned at all.
  • [Pony speculation]

That's the most reasonable reconciliation, but then it's strange for this not to have been mentioned at all.
    A. That fact is lost to history.
    B. Sombre conspired to keep it secret.
    C. Celestia pointedly left it out for her own inscrutable reasons.

• edited November 2012
    D. you're just full of crap.
    E. the original utility of the crystal heart isn't defense against Sombre - it was originally designed to keep out the cold arctic wind and magnify sunlight so that agriculture could exist. The anti-evil use was discovered later.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • edited November 2012
    Regarding Celestia and Luna being "lazy"... Celestia needed to stay back and protect the empire, and honestly, would Luna have done better than Twilight? Twilight came up with the idea for the fair and was able to solve most of the riddles pretty quickly. And if Sombra were to reach power again, Twilight is probably a better offensive weapon since Celestia and Luna can't do their friendship magic anymore.

I assume that they're going to reveal that Celestia's following a prophecy. What I'd like to see them do is have her talk a little bit about her earlier battles. We'd learn that she was able to blast away enemies with superior firepower, but that it didn't solve any of the problems over the longer term. Over a thousand years, she's had a long time to think about that and her own way of showing what she's learned is through mentoring Twilight.
    Post edited by Nissl on
  • The term Relic could have simply meant something that passed the passage of time, or something that was simply worshipped/cherished for its cultural value, so it may not had been literally Sombra's Heart, although taking the entire Greek/Roman Mythos MLP is based on, it may very well had been.

@Nissel: Celestia and Luna can't do their friendship magic anymore.

They have never actually explained why that happened and the intricacies of that statement, it is something I had been wondering about since it ties in directly with the Elements of Harmony, which is never really explained beyond a vague understanding of an Ultimate Weapon of Harmony. Perhaps the idea of Prophecy may be used to address this.

• But when I think about a crystal empire my mind drifts to Sailor Moon & Crystal Tokyo.
  • Maybe since the events that turned Luna into Nightmare Moon there has been an unrepairable rift between the sisters that, while they respect each other and have familial love, they can't work the elements of harmony because they're not totally in sync anymore.
  • But when I think about a crystal empire my mind drifts to Sailor Moon & Crystal Tokyo.
    It makes me think about that one Freedom Call album, "Crystal Empire".

• Hmm... I see a number of fanworks playing with the idea that Sombre is indeed the princessi's father.
  • Hmm... I see a number of fanworks playing with the idea that Sombre is indeed the princessi's father.
    I don't buy it. Sombre is not a pegacorn.

What if the mother was a pegasus?

If that's all that was required, then there would be pegacorns all over the place.
  • It's probably enough for the mother to have been a pegacorn, though.
  • What if male pegacorns don't have wings? It's not like we've seen a male one before.

If that's all that was required, then there would be pegacorns all over the place.
    It could be some super complicated genetics where unicorn and pegasus aren't co-dominant but some sort of mix of dominant and recessive traits spread out across multiple genes, kinda like how, on rare occasions, you can have two blue eyed parents having a brown eyed child (yes, this flies in the face of high school genetics and Punnet squares, but those are an oversimplification of what actually goes on when it comes to heredity and eye color).
  • It's probably enough for the mother to have been a pegacorn, though.
    Ok, I'll buy that. They did mention a queen.
  • Incomplete dominance maybe. Kind of like how a person could have a single dimple. The gene for dimples is supposed to be dominant over the gene for not having dimples. However, in some cases the dimple gene doesn't fully exert itself and an individual is created that, instead of having two dimples, has only one. The non-dominant gene shows through.