This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Wii U

Comments

• Wait a second. Couldn't this method be used on someone else's Wii to safely modify my GC memory card, leaving my Wii in a non-homebrew state?

Also, please tell me more about the Step 2: Don't brick your Wii.
  • Wii softmods are extremely safe these days.
  • edited September 2012
    Wait a second. Couldn't this method be used on someone else's Wii to safely modify my GC memory card, leaving my Wii in a non-homebrew state?

Also, please tell me more about the Step 2: Don't brick your Wii.
    Yes, you could also send me a GC memory card, and I can load it for you.

Step 2 involves hope. But yeah, it's very unlikely. Don't install a patched system menu afterwards. I don't know how future system updates will affect it, but since this exploit is loaded from the SD card, I doubt it can really be "fixed" by Nintendo.

Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Man... I almost want to get a Game-a-cube now.
  • I am also interested in the instructions to unlock those tracks, even though I'm TERRIBLE at F-Zero GX (I much prefer the SNES game).
  • I love GX because of its ludicrous difficulty curve and its high speed madness.
  • F-Zero X is also good, but forgotten. Not as good as GX, though.
  • I love GX because of its ludicrous difficulty curve and its high speed madness.
    I'm old and my reflexes are not what they were. :P
    I personally loved the extreme nature of turning. The various lines and drifts were off the hook at ludicrous speed with ridiculous interference from the other racers.
    My friend gave me a borked GC. I'm going to open it up and use it as a lunchbox.
    My friend gave me a borked GC. I'm going to open it up and use it as a lunchbox.
    Wow, borked Gamecubes are incredibly rare. I hope it's a nice purple one.
    I'm just wondering what the hell you have to do to a GC to break it. I dropped mine, running, on to a linoleum floor from a height of about five or six feet, and it didn't even flinch.
  • Mine had something odd happen to the video decoder/encoder/whatever that caused it to output only in black and white. I had it hooked to an inexpensive Phillips powered A/V switch with auto selection and somehow the thing backfed current (or something) and borked not only my GC but my TV at the time as well.
    I'm just wondering what the hell you have to do to a GC to break it. I dropped mine, running, on to a linoleum floor from a height of about five or six feet, and it didn't even flinch.
    Another friend has at least 6 of them. If we can use those to get good at making them, we might buy an artists alley table at AB and sell them.

@Matt, he had two, one purple and one black. Obviously I got the purple one.
  • edited September 2012
    Man... I almost want to get a Game-a-cube now.
    Throwing one across a room on to a concrete floor will do it. Don't ask how I know that.

Post edited by Drunken Butler on
  • The Verge's review of Wii U:
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/18/3658130/nintendo-wii-u-review

And sister site Polygon's review:
    http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/18/3660470/wii-u-review

I think David Pierce (Verge) put it best in the last sentence of his review:
    I don't know which future awaits the Wii U. But until it's obvious, I'm not buying one.
    Pretty much.
  • I think that line from David Pierce basically sums up my feelings as well.

In terms of sales, I think it's probably going to be sold out through Christmas. But sometime between Christmas and mid-January you'll be able to walk into a store and buy one without much trouble.
  • Well, I got one, and it seems really cool so far. I love using the GamePad as my dedicated TV remote, and I'll be kicking off the games as soon as I complete my Wii -> Wii U transfer.
  • So, I didn't pre-order one, but I needed to get bread and ham. I was on my way to Harries Teeter but I decided to go to Target instead. I decided to go to the electronics department to see if they were sold out.
    There were like 3 of the black version, so I was like. I guess I can pick one if it is here. So I got the deluxe version while getting ham and bread (take in mind that it was still at opening of business day at 8:15 am).
    I haven't play it yet but after tasting the ham from Target I think I should have gone to Harries Teeter to get my Boar's Head ham :(
  • edited November 2012
    I get the feeling that unless Nintendo purposely only produces just enough to meet demand that the Wii U will not have a shortage this holiday season. Additionally while may have missed it by not watching television I have seen zero advertisements for the Wii U. The only reason I even knew it was coming soon was that the Target near me put one on display.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • I will consider getting one when they release Pikmin 3.
  • There aren't any in stock anywhere near me. Not that I'm looking to buy, but I was curious. I think no matter how many Nintendo manufactures, scalpers will hoard them all. It's become a new cottage industry that is not going away.
  • edited November 2012
    Does the backwards-compatibility mode mirror the game screen on the controller screen or just leave it blank?
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • edited November 2012
    Wii mode is TV only.

It only allows Wii motes and works exactly like a Wii.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Wii mode is TV only.
    As it should be.. Waggling a Wii-mote at a tablet controller sounds all kinds of silly. However, I also hear that VC titles won't work on the tablet controller. THAT SUX, if true.

I'd play ALTTP or Majora's on that :)

• You know, now that the console is actually out, I find myself rather wanting one. Perhaps I'll pick one up in the spring once they're easier to find, and hopefully a few more games are out. Everything I'm reading (particularly about the online) suggests that Nintendo has finally gotten things more or less together. I'd say that's worth a shot.
  • Got to play with the Wii U a fair amount this weekend since my friend works for Nintendo and got one early. My expectations were pretty much met, which were: pretty cool device for media consumption, but the games are simplistic to the point of being boring after 10 minutes. The media consumption would be cool if that was something I did on a regular basis. But I don't, I spend most of my time gaming, and the games I played were boring.

But I will give my friends at Nintendo credit, cause their network handled the launch superbly from what I would tell. I will probably know more after the first week and my friends talk about how well it went.
  • This box would would be a neutral rather than an additive to the entertainment I receive from my current collection entertainment boxes.
  • I would throw up a huge caution flag for anyone looking to buy this console. Nintendo is moving in the right direction, but there are plenty of face-palm worthy quirks and flaws. I don't regret picking one up because I had some money to blow and knew what I was getting into. It's all going to come down to the games anyway. If there are enough fun ones, it will be worth your time and money. As of now though, a majority of the launch titles criminally misuse or under use the gamepad. Give it a year and see if 3rd party devs can figure this thing out.