This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Wii U

Comments

• Now that the Miiverse is working feel free to add me.
  • The demo unit I tried at Target seemed to have identical graphical power to the Wii. Is there ANY GPU/processing upgrade in the Wii-U?
  • The demo unit I tried at Target seemed to have identical graphical power to the Wii. Is there ANY GPU/processing upgrade in the Wii-U?
    It's supposedly about the same as an XBox, and it can output 1080p.
  • Don't forget, it is feeding two screens
    It is definitely better. I would even suspect the demo unit setup. Out of the box, the Wii U defaults to 480p unless you tweak that setting during setup. Could easily be overlooked by someone just blowing through the setup as part of a minimum wage job.

• Alright, let's add each other, guys.

My NID is VentureJ.
  • I'm matt.morgan
  • Alright, let's add each other, guys.

My NID is VentureJ.
    Quick insert the field into IDshare.xls on Google Drive!

• So-- how do you guys plan on playing Smash Brothers without Gamecube controllers?
  • I'm pretty sure there's a knockoff Classic controller that's shaped and functions like a Gamecube controller.
  • So-- how do you guys plan on playing Smash Brothers without Gamecube controllers?
    I play Smash Brothers on my Gamecube.

• I'm pretty sure there's a knockoff Classic controller that's shaped and functions like a Gamecube controller.
    I think it looks more like a xbox controller :P But yeah, that's right.

• Regardless, I would do that.

Or keep a Wii for Brawl.
  • I am chronocross
    :D
  • hmmm.. might buy a Wii U if I run into one in my travels this week, been looking for a reason to revisit Wii games that I haven't played and figure a new device might encourage me to play ^_^ Though if I don't find one casually looking while I walk around I'll wait a year or so till a redesign and get it then.
  • I there really much precedent for a redesign? I know it's standard practice on the handhelds, but for consoles, Nintendo has really only ever redesigned the NES, if I remember correctly.

The Wii U will probably be easier to find than you'd think. There is definitely some good initial buzz but it's not cabbage patch kid mania out there. If you really want one, pick a Toys R Us or a Target and go a half hour before opening on any Sunday. You'll get one.
  • Yea I'm not willing to do even that. I'm talking, going to target while bored visiting relatives, oh look a deluxe model Wii U. Drop 350 because I'm a boss.
  • I tried it out at a local Gamestop and played the Rayman demo. Visually, a vast improvement visually, and some of the levels that used the WiiU remote were fun and clever. Not enough to make me want another system, but there it's a lot of potential.
  • Yea I'm not willing to do even that. I'm talking, going to target while bored visiting relatives, oh look a deluxe model Wii U. Drop 350 because I'm a boss.
    I sincerely hope you are carrying a wad of cash just in case and plan on making it rain in the electronics department. Climb up on that counter.
    I tried it out at a local Gamestop and played the Rayman demo. Visually, a vast improvement visually, and some of the levels that used the WiiU remote were fun and clever. Not enough to make me want another system, but there it's a lot of potential.
    I also played the Rayman demo, and it filled me with worry. I played through the first stage, and the use of the GamePad just felt... unnecessary. It made me question everything. Why is that the only demo they are showing in stores? I agree that there is a lot of potential, but they need to move units first if developers are going to get a shot at unlocking it. I worry that Rayman is not going to help them do the first job.

• Ok, so far I am liking the interface. Watching Netflix on a bigger screen than the 3DS is fun while working on a project, and been able to change from small screen to a bigger one at any time is and interesting gimmick if someone wants to use the TV for something else.
    New Super Mario Wii U is fun and the it is one of the games to own if you happen to have a Wii U.
    Nintendo Land is a fun little samples of games put together in order to test the system. I would not recommend it to get it, but if you got it with the Deluxe version then it is a fun little thing.
  • yea that would have been great when I was a kid and my parents wanted to use the TV...
  • I was surprised to read from a bunch of reviewers that they found themselves playing Mario on the small screen rather than the big, and surprised to see that I prefer it that way as well. I haven't been console gaming as much over the past few years, and it turns out all of that smartphone and tablet fiddling during that time has made our brains very, very comfortable with playing on the screen we are holding in our hands.
  • I will always prefer the TV. My DS lite sits and collects dust, mostly.
  • How Nintendo DRM trapped $400 of downloaded games on my failing Wii (updated). Wow that sucks.

Dear Nintendo, cloud saving. Do eet.
    Cloud saving isn't even necessary to do this right. Just have a list of downloaded titles attached to an account ala what Apple does with its app stores. You can freely redownload anything you've already downloaded on any other machine attached to that account...
  • I agree, but I think cloud saving is something that Nintendo should also offer. I mentioned this in the 3DS thread, but you can only transfer your profile to a new DS system up to 5 times, if I recall and that's that. I would hate to be the person that has issues with their DS or gets it stolen enough times to where this will affect them.
  • Brother got a Wii U. Played Zelda and Metroid in Nintendo Land. Metroid is super fun. I didn't use the Gamepad yet though.
  • edited November 2012
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I've seen that linked many places. I'm not sure how many people realize it is a joke article.
  • edited November 2012
    I'm not sure how many people realize it is a joke article.
    I didn't! :D Good show!
    Post edited by Sail on