This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Happy Evacuation Day 2012!

edited November 2012 in Everything Else
We all know that Thanksgiving is a bullshit holiday made up by Lincoln to try and re-unite the country, and we all know that the mythos around it only propagates the misconception that the Puritans and Pilgrims treated the Indigenous Americans humanely, but we don't want to give up our five-day weekend for this. What do?

I say we celebrate Evacuation Day! Sure it's a few days off, but it was the reason Lincoln put Thanksgiving when he did, so I say it's close enough. So eat Turkey , be merry, and remember the British prison ships leaving the Hudson.

Thank you.

Comments

• edited November 2012
    Thanks for pulling back the veil of deception, and outing the truth about the day we all eat turkey and stuffing. This thread is a major blow to the illuminati
    Post edited by johndis on
  • edited November 2012
    Truly, this culturally-sanctioned day of gluttony is based on bullshit. We all desperately need a authentic reason to hang out with friends and family, eat and drink until we pass out, and then go shopping (or eat and drink more) tomorrow.

Happy Thanksgiving, G-d Bless America!

EDIT: Greg, when I was your age, I read Howard Zinn on Thanksgiving and got really worked up about our holidays and the reasons for them and the validity of Columbus Day and stuff. Then, I realized I could have more fun just using the holidays as a excuse to have fun, instead of grumbling about shit I can never change. Do that instead!!
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited November 2012
    When you think about it, American Thanksgiving is about celebrating a bunch of undocumented immigrants who refused to learn the language and still got food assistance.

I'm surprised you guys are so down with it.

(My mom's husband is American so this year I am having the Dave and Joel experience. Double Thanksgiving!)
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • The traditional story of Thanksgiving has become all but irrelevant to the holiday, to the point that pretending that anybody is observing it for historical reasons is ridiculous. Same goes for Christmas in most of the country, excluding the Bible Belt and a few pockets of hold outs.

Thanksgiving and Christmas are about family and community (and consumerism). Two out of three ain't bad.
  • When you think about it, American Thanksgiving is about celebrating a bunch of undocumented immigrants who refused to learn the language and still got food assistance.

I'm surprised you guys are so down with it.

(My mom's husband is American so this year I am having the Dave and Joel experience. Double Thanksgiving!)
    I always wondered that but when ever I asked any of my American friends they god mad at me. It does seem rather a glaring contradiction, the whole giving thanks for getting free stuff and killing the locals.

• edited November 2012
    Call me un'Merican all you want, but all I care about is that I get 2 free days off from work and get to nom on turkey and hawt sauce. ^O^
    Post edited by Lyddi on
  • Truly, this culturally-sanctioned day of gluttony is based on bullshit. We all desperately need a authentic reason to hang out with friends and family, eat and drink until we pass out, and then go shopping (or eat and drink more) tomorrow.

Happy Thanksgiving, G-d Bless America!

EDIT: Greg, when I was your age, I read Howard Zinn on Thanksgiving and got really worked up about our holidays and the reasons for them and the validity of Columbus Day and stuff. Then, I realized I could have more fun just using the holidays as a excuse to have fun, instead of grumbling about shit I can never change. Do that instead!!
    It's more an extension of my love of history and stories than actual indignancy. The only holiday I get really angry about is Christmas, a rant which I have twice now mentioned on this forum, and will continue to save for a little bit longer. I'm celebrating Evacuation Day because (as a Bostonian) I fucking love the Revolutionary War. Disdain for Thanksgiving comes second.
  • We all desperately need a authentic reason to hang out with friends and family, eat and drink until we pass out...
    Oktoberfest?
  • edited November 2012
    I don't give a fuck about reasons unless that reason gets me free days to eat food, ride bikes, and play video games.

And maybe some football.

Also screw anyone who's not down with Christmas. One of my coworkers is a self professed Scrooge and I just tell him to shut up because no one gives a shit about your personal vendetta on happiness.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I fucking love Christmas. My whole rant is about how hallow and perverted it has become.
  • edited November 2012
    I think it's always been hallow and perverted. Plus if you're not working at a retail store or grocery store and do your shopping online its easy to avoid the bullshit.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I fucking love Christmas. My whole rant is about how hallow and perverted it has become.
    lol
  • I think the day after Thanksgiving would be evacuation day.

Bowel Evacuation.
  • If you don't like Thanksgiving, you can always celebrate Slapsgiving instead!

• Perverted Christmas
  • I think it's always been hallow and perverted. Plus if you're not working at a retail store or grocery store and do your shopping online its easy to avoid the bullshit.
    Everyone who isn't a minor who works at my Best Buy is looking at a 12 hour shift, no questions asked. Working in retail during this time of the year sucks. All I ask is give us a fair shake and those of us who do care(who are rarely the upper management) will do the very best we can.
  • Gentlemen, please. It's called Cocksmas. A holiday where men around the world give and receive cocks of love and magnanimity.
  • Fuck working retail this time of year. I have a long shift tomorrow. Luckily, it isn't a morning shift.
  • Fuck working retail this time of year. I have a long shift tomorrow. Luckily, it isn't a morning shift.
    Call centers are no fun either.
  • edited November 2012
    Glad I work at an auto parts store that doesn't do doorbusters or black friday deals. Still gotta be in at 7, but I don't need the riot gear.

Edit: Also helps that Autozone actually kinda gives a damn about its employees and gives them Thanksgiving and Christmas off.
    Post edited by Jack Draigo on
  • It's clearly XXX-Mas.