This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - Burning Con 2012

edited November 2012 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, dateline November 1st, 2012, we bring our our coverage of Burning Con 2012: The TRIADUMVIRATE. Of course, we have more, ranging from hurricanes to hats, Chess (particularly Bobby Fischer's alternate rules) to Hearts. We remember Danish role playing games and sing further praises of Characteristics of Games.

In more newsworthy pursuits, we pursue Natural Selection 2 and Guns of Icarus Online (which I hear has boarding). It's a good time for PC gaming, that's for sure!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• Previous Burning Con:
  • Lady Blackbird as a romantic comedy! The best part of that whole thing was how Kale and Naomi got into it, too.
  • edited November 2012
    Here's the deal with that "same rank" castling rule (from a footnote in the Wikipedia article):
    Without this additional restriction, which was added to the FIDE rules in 1972, it would be possible to promote a pawn on the e file to a rook and then castle vertically across the board (as long as the other conditions are met). This way of castling was "discovered" by Max Pam and used by Tim Krabbé in a chess puzzle before the rules were amended to disallow it. See Chess Curiosities by Krabbé, see also de:Pam-Krabbé-Rochade for the diagrams online.
    I don't see evidence of it ever having been used in an actual game, which is really sad because it would have been the most awesome. Imagine the reaction!
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Oh wow, that is an interesting curiosity, but even if you could still do it today, it does sound useless and dangerous to use in most situations, since it would leave the king right on the middle of the board with is pretty a pretty hectic place.
  • I use a rain cape for commuting in the rain. The straps in the front make it so it extends to the handlebars keeping some of your lower body dry and it's light enough that it just stays with me in my bag. It does increase drag considerably. Most cycling apparel companies make skull caps with ear coverage and fit easily under a helmet.
  • I use a rain cape for commuting in the rain. The straps in the front make it so it extends to the handlebars keeping some of your lower body dry and it's light enough that it just stays with me in my bag. It does increase drag considerably. Most cycling apparel companies make skull caps with ear coverage and fit easily under a helmet.
    links?
  • That rain cape is $50. I spent more on my ski hat.
  • edited November 2012
    Was it coated in fucking gold?

EDIT: I didn't realize that most places severely overcharge for their winter hats. I've never spent over $25 and been completely content.

EDIT 2: Actually more research shows you either were duped or bought something you didn't need thus making you a yuppie.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • edited November 2012
    I just started listening to the episode, Scott if you're getting a decent ski jacket AT LEAST $200 unless you wait until the end of the season which you should have thought of last year. Decent rain jacked most likely $100.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Old naked Greek statues, Scott. I see you still have the taste. ;D
  • @Scott

Have you played Nyxquest? It has lots of Greek things and style that you would enjoy.
  • Best sort of post-hoc trash talk is crow-feeding, when you accurately quote back the exact cocky statement they used beforehand. One example I engaged in when the Flyers beat up the Devils in the first round of the playoffs in 2010, an expected result after the Flyers manhandled the Devils during the previous regular season except in the eyes of Devils fans.
  • edited November 2012
    It was cool meeting a lot of FRC forum people. Shout out to Pence and Groverbomb, and it was great hanging out with Totally Guy again, gaming with Scott, and chatting with Rym.

Burning Con was completely worth being stranded in New York City for four extra days.
    Post edited by okeefe on
  • It was cool meeting a lot of FRC forum people. Shout out to Pence and Groverbomb, and it was great hanging out with Totally Guy again, gaming with Scott, and chatting with Rym.

Burning Con was completely worth being stranded in New York City for four extra days.
    Hell yes! You essentially sold me a copy of Freemarket; you should lobby for commission from Luke and Jared if you run it as much as you say you do.
  • Nice to see you guys too.

I played in that dwarf game with Rym and Scott. I played a gruff outcast of an adventurer. I wrote a belief about going into the caves and fixing the problem. Then Scott's Prince refused to pay me and I was stuck, I wanted to go into the cave but then I'd look foolish for letting the prince exploit me. Rym's engineer had a belief about making my guy join the army and he didn't do anything with it! Weak! :p
  • Rym's engineer had a belief about making my guy join the army and he didn't do anything with it! Weak! :p
    Hey, I had bigger problems. Like dying!

• It was cool meeting a lot of FRC forum people. Shout out to Pence and Groverbomb, and it was great hanging out with Totally Guy again, gaming with Scott, and chatting with Rym.
    Word to that.

Many thanks to Scott for the favorable review of my beginner game. I've also been perplexed by that near-paradox of getting better at GMing. How can you become a good GM if no one is willing to suffer through your bad GMing until you get better? The beginner track was a bit of a crutch, sure, but it allowed me to take a step to the block and get that much-dreaded-but-much-needed first session out of the way in probably the best setting possible. You guys were great to GM for. I'm definitely ready to GM again or find a regular group to play in.

In any case, I was inspired by the high degree of energy, passion, and commitment of all of the players and GMs at the con. I hope to honor all of the amazing advice and come back a better GM next time around.

Oh, and the game of Lady Blackbird I was in turned into a something of a romantic comedy too, per Rym's comments in this episode. I wonder who else has had that experience.
  • Guns of Icarus Online is more than enough fun without boarding. It would be cool if you could have a grappling hook and get back on your ship if you fall off, but that rarely happens anyway.

Also, it's first and third person! Love that.