This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Representative Darrell Issa (R-CA) wants a 2-year moratorium on all Internet legislation

edited November 2012 in Technology
http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/27/3698316/darrel-issa-bill-reddit-internet-law

He seems to think he has the Internet community on his side, but any Internet person who puts an ounce of thought into it knows this is crap. This would definitely prevent any net neutrality legislation, and could likely even prevent copyright reform.

Also, Issa voted for CISPA and was a major supporter of the PATRIOT act, so it's not like he's not coming into this as the Internet's hero or anything.

Comments

• http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/27/3698316/darrel-issa-bill-reddit-internet-law

He seems to think he has the Internet community on his side, but any Internet person who puts an ounce of thought into it knows this is crap. This would definitely prevent any net neutrality legislation, and could likely even prevent copyright reform.

Also, Issa voted for CISPA and was a major supporter of the PATRIOT act, so it's not like he's not coming into this as the Internet's hero or anything.
    He was against SOPA, but otherwise has done a lot of bad stuff too. Weird guy.
  • Two-edged sword I'd say.
  • Not only that but two years from now? That's about when even bipartisan issues begin to be ignored and absolutely nothing gets done legislatively while everything ramps up for the next election season. (I know not that much gets done regardless of the year but as things get closer to elections that miniscule number begins to disappear.)
    This seems more like a pet project for Issa to point to and say "I tried to meet you halfway. I tried to change things but no one seems to want that. You can't blame me for the crap that happens. [Please don't remember all the horrible things I've tried to do in the past.]"
  • By the time I reached the acronym for the bill (IAMA), I was ready to vomit from all of the pandering. So much shit is wrong with this proposal - it's reactionary, it's stupidly broad, and it sounds freakishly Libertarian.
  • It could just be giving them 2 years to write a real internet bill with enough sneaky wording to get passed.
  • GOP wants to ruin the internet but can't do it in two years; they know they'd l lose the House before they can finish. They need 4 years and a Republican president to git'r done.
  • GOP wants to ruin the internet but can't do it in two years; they know they'd l lose the House before they can finish. They need 4 years and a Republican president to git'r done.
    Democrats are not much better off on that same subject really.