This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The FRCF Gift Guide

edited November 2012 in Everything Else
I really like giving gifts. It's one of my favorite things to do; whenever I'm baking, I make an extra "gift batch" and surprise a friend with them. It's cool to give people interesting objects, too! To that end, I'm making this thread for people to post things they'd like to gift to someone, or would like to receive. Think of it as the guide to super-cool geek objects as curated by people you trust and whose opinion you care about. Here's a few things on my lists and in my notebooks right now.

Suck UK Grime Writer. I like graffiti, but the illegality of writing on things is irritating. The Grime Writer solves this by letting you "write" in soap, by cleaning off dirty surfaces. Load it up with a critical detergent (I recommend Alconox) and do your civic duty by cleaning your blog's name onto that wall.

I use pens and notebooks for most of my work and recreation. A decent fountain pen holds a lot of ink, looks cool, and is often cheaper in the long-run than buying single-use ballpoints. Neil Gaiman's favorite is the TWSBI Diamond 540, which has a giant built-in piston reservoir. Gaiman recommends writing in an atypical color for letters, which is a nice thing you can do with a fountain pen; I'm a big fan of the beautiful colors and smooth flow of Pilot's Iroshizuku inks.

I'm giving my family a Roku XD for Christmas. It's the next best thing to building your parents an HTPC.

Anyone got anything else they're excited to give or receive?
Post edited by WindUpBird on

Comments

• I'm giving my family a Roku XD for Christmas. It's the next best thing to building your parents an HTPC.

Anyone got anything else they're excited to give or receive?
    Link fixed.
  • Fair warning on the Roku, it does not have any official youtube app, the best way to do Youtube is through a third party one I haven't tried yet.
  • The Moms wants it for Netflix, NBC, and Hulu Plus. It's ideal for the parentals.
  • The Moms wants it for Netflix, NBC, and Hulu Plus. It's ideal for the parentals.
    Cool, just want to be sure it will do what they want. I recently got one thanks to a deal Roku made for BB employees and I was caught off guard.
  • Scott, I'm surprised you haven't switched to The Verge by now. The smart people left Engadget and made a new website and it's been awesome for a whole year!

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/22/3679722/the-verge-holiday-gift-guide-2012
  • Scott, I'm surprised you haven't switched to The Verge by now. The smart people left Engadget and made a new website and it's been awesome for a whole year!

I actually don't read Engadget anymore. I just remembered they always have a gift guide. I do keep remembering that the Verge is where it's at, but I have to remember to actually read it.

I actually don't read Engadget anymore. I just remembered they always have a gift guide. I do keep remembering that the Verge is where it's at, but I have to remember to actually read it.
    Following @verge on Twitter is an easy way to not forget.
  • The Verge (and their new gaming website Polygon) is most definitely where it's at for news. I'm still searching for a great tech news podcast though. I like the Engadget podcast but think there's probably something better out there. I tried Verge's podcast, but man, Josh Topolsky is a douche.
  • I tried Verge's podcast, but man, Josh Topolsky is a douche.
    Haters gonna hate. I like it. You might like The Verge Mobile Show, but it's obviously only worthwhile for phone nerds like me.
  • I still actually pay money for the Ars Technica full-text RSS feed. They're not as prolific as The Verge, but I get a pretty rounded viewpoint on the tech news of the day, and they have some really interesting scientific articles.
  • edited December 2012
    A nice gift idea for most literary or graphic novel geeks is a signed or personalized copy of a Peter S. Beagle novel or the deluxe edition of The Last Unicorn graphic novel.

http://www.conlanpress.com/index.html

I purchased a first edition of A Fine and Private Place and am sending it to Conlan Press with a personalization fee for Mr. Beagle to personalize it to my father. That book was one of the first he ever read to me as a child, so it has a special place in my heart. If someone you know has a favorite book from a living author, you can contact their publisher to seed if you can have it personalized by the author. It may be too late this holiday season to arrange for such a thing, but may for next year.

Happy gifting!

Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I'm going to two functions with White Elephant, so I need two geeky gifts for between $10-$20
  • I'm going to two functions with White Elephant, so I need two geeky gifts for between $10-$20
    Set of dice and/or dice bag.