This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Presents Utena: ep01

edited November 2012 in GeekNights

GeekNights Presents: Utena
Episode 01

Episode one - Pay Attention - throws the viewer right into the thick of it: unintroduced characters, inscrutable motivations, secret forests, and floating castles all! There's little to analyze with just this to go on (without spoiling), so we point out a number of directions of inquiry for the viewer. The best thing you can do to better understand this show is to pay attention.

Source Link
Post edited by Rym on

Comments

• edited November 2012
    I would prefer that you explain the recurrent symbolism so that we can appreciate it along the way, like the meaning of the spinning roses in the frame. Is that explanation a spoiler?

What about the lyrics of the songs played during the duels? Some meaning there or just random words?

I also noticed that although they say Utena is wearing the boy's uniform, there's not a single boy dressing like that, and the actual boy's uniform is not even close in shape or colors. Something to say about that?
    Post edited by 5ro4 on
  • I would prefer that you explain the recurrent symbolism so that we can appreciate it along the way, like the meaning of the spinning roses in the frame. Is that explanation a spoiler?

What about the lyrics of the songs played during the duels? Some meaning there or just random words?
    HAHAHAHA. The sweet words of the naive.

• We'll cover all of those things in good time. But we are deeply devoted to not spoiling through these first 39 episodes.

We plan to focus on particular aspects for given episodes. For example, we pointed out the spinning rose framings and Miki's stopwatch, but didn't devote much time to them yet. In the next episode, you'll see we focus primarily on the duels themselves.
  • I also noticed that although they say Utena is wearing the boy's uniform, there's not a single boy dressing like that, and the actual boy's uniform is not even close in shape or colors. Something to say about that?
    Truth be told, this has always bothered me too. The out-of-universe reason is probably just so she stands out more, since she's the main character and she needs to stand out as "special", just like the rest of the duelists and their fancy uniforms do.

As for the in-universe explanation? Harder to parse, since you're right, it really doesn't look much like the regular uniform except for the high collar and the cut of the jacket. My guess is that it's a carry-over from the manga that didn't quite get explained well enough (since they were developing the anime and manga at the same time but they were largely independent projects). In the manga, Utena has a hot pink uniform, and it is more explicitly stated that she is exploiting an even more specific rule in order to wear it:
    the exact rule Utena is manipulating states that a student must wear a uniform from the school's designer. It may not be the usual boy's uniform, but it's by the same designer, all right.
    So for our purposes, we can probably assume the same rule also exists in the anime (otherwise yeah, she probably wouldn't be allowed to wear it), and that the rule she quotes in the first episode is just the general rule about girls' and boys' uniforms because it's the quicker one to read off in a hurry.

That all said, it still bothers me a bit. Ikuhara, why you gotta be vague? :P
  • Ikuhara gonna Ikuhara
  • Can we get an idea of how often you two intend on releasing each video? I want to try to plan on my own viewing schedule.
  • This question has probably been answered somewhere around here already, but I am being a bad forumite right now as well as lazy, so I'm just going to ask here. Is there a free and legitimate (aka no sketchy virus-y illegal downloading) way of watching this series out there right now? I was able to watch the first 2 eps on Youtube but that's it. I've never seen this series and don't like paying lots of moneys for stuff I haven't seen yet. :-P
  • Lyddi, you know I am upgrading my 1999 DVD release to the new remastered versions, so you can procure them from me.

No one is biting at my offer for purchase, so umm.. MERRY CHRISTMAS! I'll see if I can mail out the first season in the next few days.
  • Lyddi, you know I am upgrading my 1999 DVD release to the new remastered versions, so you can procure them from me.

No one is biting at my offer for purchase, so umm.. MERRY CHRISTMAS! I'll see if I can mail out the first season in the next few days.
    OMG yay! I would be willing to return them to you at PAX if you find a buyer, or ship it to them for you. :)

Also, I am finally almost done with your X-mas present! :D
  • No, it's ok. It will be my Christmas gift because I haven't made anything for anyone this year, except my Secret Santee!
  • I will say this. There are very few shows that I would recommend to just buy outright sight-unseen. Utena is one of them.
  • Sigh... So the Italian distributor of Utena has filed a copyright claim against our analysis. Guess I get to learn how the Youtube copyright claim dispute process works... -_-
  • Sigh... So the Italian distributor of Utena has filed a copyright claim against our analysis. Guess I get to learn how the Youtube copyright claim dispute process works... -_-
    Welcome to the #1 reason people in my online content circles hate youtube, no matter what you do there is NOTHING you can do to remove it. This is where you post a video pointing people to go to another site (ie blip, vimeo, dailymotion, etc) to actually see the video.

• Whaaaa? Maybe its because you have so many clips that they are claiming you're illegally distributing their content...? (Which is dumb, but simply talking about a show wouldn't be considered a copyright violation, would it? I mean, free speech and all?)
    Is there some kind of hint as to what you should change to make them not complain? Like take out the clips? Or just do audio? Wow, there's a lot of "?" in this post. :-P Man I was looking forward to watching more of these in the future, screw those guys. :(
  • Whaaaa? Maybe its because you have so many clips that they are claiming you're illegally distributing their content...? (Which is dumb, but simply talking about a show wouldn't be considered a copyright violation, would it? I mean, free speech and all?)(
    The argument to make here is more fair use than free speech.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use
  • edited November 2012
    If fair use actually worked, you'd be protected as commentary and review. YouTube should just block your videos in Italy :P

[Edit] Ninja'd.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Agreeing with Sail. I got one of my videos reinstated by explaining that it was commentary and review. In case YouTube doesn't work out, though, you could try Blip.tv? They are far, far more lax about copyright stuff. Most online video reviewers use them for that reason.
  • Whaaaa? Maybe its because you have so many clips that they are claiming you're illegally distributing their content...? (Which is dumb, but simply talking about a show wouldn't be considered a copyright violation, would it? I mean, free speech and all?)(
    The argument to make here is more fair use than free speech.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use
    I know what Fair Use is. Which is why I said simply talking about a show shouldn't be considered copyright violation. Because America has this thing called free speech. Otherwise any entity could stifle free speech by claiming copyright infringement from mentioning certain words. Thats what I meant. I am trying to figure out why they are claiming infringement, so SURELY its not that they are reviewing it, correct? (rhetorical question)

Anyway. I had to take a class in college that was all about this stuff, it was pretty eye opening. Which is why I'm shocked* they would claim infringement for a review, only thing I can think of is that maybe it was from using so many clips? (In which case it would still fall under fair use, but makes sense why they'd complain.) I had a video removed that I felt was fair use (for containing part of a particular song), yet when I tried to defend it through their process, its like nobody at YouTube even read my defense and just ignored me.

*Honestly not sure why I'm shocked, seems like this crap happens all the time.
  • I think it's safe to operate under the assumption that the only reason the video was flagged was for the clips from the show, which is definitely a fair use thing, as opposed to the commentary itself, which is free speech.
  • By any reasonable definition this should constitute fair use.

Nevertheless, chances are your video will be blocked in Italy at the very least.
    You should make a deal where you'll take the videos down if they make an opener.
  • My Theory; This all takes place in Post-Instrumentality Eva.
  • I'm 16 episodes into Utena so far. I think I'm going to start skipping these Nanami "filler" episodes. There has only been two but I can't say they contribute to the lore of the show. If they REALLY are some kind of metaphor that compliments the main plot I'm going to be super impressed. Forget floating upside down castles, what is up with these magical cow bells?
  • I'm 16 episodes into Utena so far. I think I'm going to start skipping these Nanami "filler" episodes. There has only been two but I can't say they contribute to the lore of the show. If they REALLY are some kind of metaphor that compliments the main plot I'm going to be super impressed.
    Pro tip: Don't stop watching them, and prepare to be super impressed.
  • Manama episodes are the best!!! Eggs! Curry!
  • IMHO, if one pretends that the episodes are all unrelated OAVs, the Nanami episodes are the best ones. 9000 Fold Spice Curry is fantastic no matter what.
  • Curry is one of my favorite episodes. It's just so silly.

You also have to enjoy the boxing kangaroo one too.

TSUWABUKI! *SNAP*
  • I think our production schedule for this show will pick up rapidly after I get the next one out. Would have been uploaded last night if I hadn't gone out to have fun instead. ;^)
  • Curry is one of my favorite episodes. It's just so silly.

You also have to enjoy the boxing kangaroo one too.

TSUWABUKI! *SNAP*
    Not to mention "Operation Himemiya is a Weirdo Who Keeps Snails in her Pencil Box."
  • edited December 2012
    Agreed with the rest. The Nanami episodes, when strung together, do mirror the progress of the show in their own bizarre way, with the third arc's episodes being the best of the lot.

The only Nanami episode that you probably can skip safely is episode 24, which is the Nanami recap episode. It has some good moments (e.g.: Tsuwabuki's version of the cowbell ending, the bits in the infirmary, and the ending with C-ko and the triplet guys), but if you really find you still can't deal with her by that point, maybe skip over that one in your first watch-through and go back to it afterward if you really like the series and want your watching of it to be complete.
    Post edited by Eryn on