This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

House Hunting

Comments

• http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/815-H-Ave-Glenside-PA-19038/10022762_zpid/
    Putting in an offer tomorrow!

Awesome basement which will be great for a gaming table. 5 bed rooms two on one side and 3 on the others (Ideal for possible housemates if needed) nice backyard and a short distance from Glenside where there is a local concert hall that gets great acts and other stuffs.
    That's not a house, that's 2 houses that someone glued together.
  • That's Pennsylvania
  • That's Pennsylvania
    Huh, I always thought it was bigger.

• Nah, the left house is Pittsburgh, the right house is Philadelphia. That's pretty much the whole lot of it. No Starbucks either.
  • Wait what? PA has tons of Starbucks.
  • Wait what? PA has tons of Starbucks.
    It was a joke about some thread from like a year ago where a map showed PA down in the 30-something range for Starbucks density, and how we were surprised given the state's location and population. Every state has tons of Starbucks ;)

• Jesus. I keep telling my wife that we could do so much better on our salaries if we moved south or west. Our salaries wouldn't change that much outside of Connecticut but our buying power sure would.
  • Wow, that is insane cheap.
    Compared to NYC, sure. $275k is hardly "insane cheap" in most places.

• Wow, that is insane cheap.

A 2br house near me that has effectively no yard is $750,000.
  • RymRym
    edited November 2012
    Wow, that is insane cheap.

Dude, even in Michigan 275k for a house like that (assuming no non-obvious problems) was pretty damned cheap. I call it cheap even prior to my newfound New York sensibilities.

And, considering its proximity to what almost amounts to a city, it's practically a steal. A 50k house in Detroit is worth less than a 275k house near where one could actually find a job. ;^)
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I come from podunk-ville Georgia... and even I think 275k is cheap for a 5 bedroom house. When the market didn't suck, that would be around 500k in podunk-ville. Then again, no idea what is like there these days, haven't paid attention. My parent's house (back in podunk-ville) got appraised recently and its worth less than the original price ~22 years ago. :-/

Anyway, that's such good deal, yay for you guys!
  • edited November 2012
    Agreed, it does look like a pretty damned good deal...

Sure, it may be pricey compared to East Bumfuck, North Dakota, but you're not buying in East Bumfuck, North Dakota.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • yea that sorta house is usually in the high 300's around there there is a Culvert right next to the property which probably scares people who don't know better. (I.E. NOT GOING TO FLOOD IF RIGHT NEXT TO ANTI-FLOOD MEASURE) Also Roslyn the area it borders by about one street isn't the greatest place in the world and while it is in Upper Dublin (one of the better places to live in Philly area) it has a Glenside address...
  • RymRym
    edited November 2012
    Be aware that the actual cost of the construction of the house is the least concern in places where there are also jobs: the land it's on is where most of the value is.

If the land were free, building a ridiculous house doesn't cost that much more than building a normal house. The biggest factors come down to how many corners the exterior has and how high your want the ceilings to be. ;^)
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited November 2012
    oh definitely as usual the suburbs of philly didn't get hit too badly by the recession and remains the industry/pharm play ground that it has been. But yea that's why you see seriously awesome houses build in places you'd never want to live or have a 3 hour commute to your job. Actually this house is closer to the city, on two regional rail lines and is close to the turnpike so win win.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Do you have to buy flood insurance ?
  • Be aware that the actual cost of the construction of the house is the least concern in places where there are also jobs: the land it's on is where most of the value is.

If the land were free, building a ridiculous house doesn't cost that much more than building a normal house. The biggest factors come down to how many corners the exterior has and how high your want the ceilings to be. ;^)
    Very true. When I took out the homeowners insurance policy for my house, the rebuild cost was roughly half of what I paid for it -- the other half presumably being land.
  • Buy some land, buy some land. Yo, fuck spinning rims!
  • edited November 2012
    Don't forget granite countertops, $6000 toilets, and other upgrades that the youngin's are obsessed with these days can add to that. :-p

Edit: I watched too much HGTV back in the day
    Post edited by Lyddi on
  • edited November 2012
    Buy some land, buy some land. Yo, fuck spinning rims!
    Put spinning rims on your cladding.

Even better - Spinning cladding.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • If the land were free, building a ridiculous house doesn't cost that much more than building a normal house. The biggest factors come down to how many corners the exterior has and how high your want the ceilings to be. ;^)
    Don't forget granite countertops, $6000 toilets, and other upgrades that the youngin's are obsessed with these days can add to that. :-p
    One day, I am going to install one of those fancy Japanese toilets with the automatic bidet and heated seats features in my house, and it will be glorious!
  • Huuuuuuuuuuuuge tracts of land!
  • Oddly the basement is dry and doesn't even have a water remediation system so I don't believe I have to get flood insurance not near any actual streams or wetlands just had poor runoff management until they put the culvert in
  • Check the land records. I almost bought an awesome house two years ago that was 60 feet above the adjacent river. However the lowest part of the property was at river level and in the flood plain. Would have been an extra $200 a month for the mandatory flood insurance just because a small undeveloped portion of the property was subject to flooding.
  • edited November 2012
    Wow, that is insane cheap.

Objectively that is not a cheap amount of money. For the value of what you are getting, that is mad cheap.

My stepmom's house is 4 BR plus the master suite. In rural NC. And it's priced at nearly half a million.

Post edited by Nuri on
  • The condo I was looking at a while ago in LIC was three bedroom and cost about 1.8 million.
  • New York City pricing is stupid and irrelevant when it comes to price comparisons with the rest of the country. Sorry, citydwellers. :P
  • Yet there are still tons of people only making minimum wage there. The super incredibly low minimum wage that people in other less expensive areas still can't live on. I will never understand why society thinks crap like this is okay. >.<
  • New York City pricing is stupid and irrelevant when it comes to price comparisons with the rest of the country. Sorry, citydwellers. :P
    I know! It's just so awesome here, and we ran out of land!

• as long as I can die slowly eating extra value meals all is right in the world....