This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

MANGA!

Comments

• Eh. That's no good. I would prefer to use Amazon over ebay, but entire series would sell better than individual volumes, imo.
    I wasn't trying to max moneys.
  • Found Phoenix vol. 1 at Half Priced Books for $5. Got volume 2 on Amazon for $10. It sucks that a lot of the other volumes are beyond overpriced. :(

I'll just look for them every now and then. If they are cheap, I'll pick it up.
  • Phoenix 2 is the best volume.
  • Powell's Books still has a few of the volumes at close to MSRP. Considering how hard it is to find volumes of Phoenix these days, that might be your best bet next to scouring anime con dealer rooms.
  • Phoenix 2 is the best volume.
    Yep, that one is the best. The Yamato saga comes very close too.

• He's not even using the rungs! Oh god, what a monster.
  • Reading Kare Kano again because it just seems like it's been long enough since I last visited the series.
  • I finished reading Solanin today. It was really good.
  • I am reading "Message to Adolf". It is kind of brutal! :O
  • Solanin is sad. I really like the way the artist draws facial expressions.
  • I hope that more of Asano's works get released stateside, especially Oyasumi Punpun.
  • GeoGeo
    edited September 2012
    Phoenix 2 is the best volume.
    I echo that. As an aside, why the fuck doesn't VIZ reprint these things or at the very least allow Vertical get the manga license?! I've been trying to get Phoenix volumes 9 and 10 for an acceptable price for about 2 years, but to no avail. But I guess that is just my whiny, annoying fan complaint.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I read "Disappearance Diary" this weekend. It's a really weird thing how it juxtaposes the actually pretty disturbing story with the rather cute and funny pictures as drawn in the old 60s and 70s style, but I guess the same can be said about some of Tezuka's work (who makes a cameo appearance in it). You don't see art like that.

The only thing that bothered me about it was that it was flipped, but I guess they did that in order to have a bigger appeal to regular comic fans.

I also started reading Kingyo Used Books. After two volumes I'm already hopelessly in love with that series. It's a really fun and entertaining series that is just so far up my alley.
  • edited September 2012
    I've been finding myself reading more Manwa lately.

Just finished up The Breaker and it's sequel. Finished Veritas and half way through Tower of God. Might drop it however since the story quality is dropping off.

Looking at a few other series to pick up if anyone has some suggestions. Looking for something manwa or manga that uses historical fiction as a setting.
    Post edited by Alan on
  • BTW people, the continuation of Genshiken is now available in english by Kodansha as "Genshiken Second Season". Translation is pretty good.
  • BTW people, the continuation of Genshiken is now available in english by Kodansha as "Genshiken Second Season". Translation is pretty good.
    Why can't they revive Moyashimon :(
  • I've been reading some random things online, and this is perhaps the oddest one I've come across so far.

It's called Tonnura-san, and it is about the smuggest cat in the universe. It's amazing.
  • I Kickstarted something and got a code for 1000 points at emanga.com that I don't want.

Here is the code. First to use it gets it, I guess.

W5tmAcv7

You are supposed to login/register and click "Promo Code"
  • Is that the Tezuka Kickstarter? Hmmm. I wonder if I got my code.
  • Rading Yotsuba, man its brilliant. My friends and I are already quoting at each other.
  • Rading Yotsuba, man its brilliant. My friends and I are already quoting at each other.
    Y U so late to the party?
  • Hadn't heard of it for an age. Watched all of Azumanga Daioh and wanted more, sound it and now love it.
  • I must say, I'm rather enjoying " Gate - Thus the JSDF Fought There", and not in my usual "I'm enjoying this because it's fucking terrible" kinda way.
  • Fuck Rym and Scott! And fuck Daryl Surat! I picked up drops of god and now all I can do is read that and drink wine. Im not even joking, I was reading it at the pub, next thing I know I've got a bottle of wine infront of me. I did not order this wine. I have started to look at stuff to decant, been eating dirt and sniffing old shoes. To make it worse Im not watching James and Oz's great wine adventure, and enjoying it. What have you done to me!
  • I must say, I'm rather enjoying " Gate - Thus the JSDF Fought There", and not in my usual "I'm enjoying this because it's fucking terrible" kinda way.
    Have you hit the Valkyries yet? Loved that entire sequence.

Have you hit the Valkyries yet? Loved that entire sequence.
    I'm up to chapter 15, which is the latest scanned chapter. I don't read moon runes very well yet, so it's about my only option.

Yeah, the Valkyries sequence was pretty cool.

• edited December 2012
    So ANN has a ranking of the top selling manga in japan in the last year. Of course, One Piece crushes everything almost outselling the next four combined. However, there's two surprises for me on that list:
    a) Uchuu Kyoudai, a.k.a. Space Brothers is 4th with more than 5 million copies sold.
    b) Bleach is finally out of the Top 10, as it should be.

There's also lists per individual volume which is kind of weird because Space Brothers did not make it inside the Top 50 in that category, but place four volumes on #70, #74, #75 and #94. Also, Volume 11 of Yotsuba&! is 24th on that list.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Found a new artist to follow, Irie Aki by way of Ran to Hairo no Sekai.

• Found a new artist to follow, Irie Aki by way of Ran to Hairo no Sekai.

What is that manga about?