This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - Seasons

edited November 2012 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we review Régis Bonnessée's Seasons. (Spoiler: it has a rondel). It's an OK game, but we find it difficult to recommend to anyone in particular. In other news, the Steam Autumn Sale is in full... steam..., Rym hit up the fancy Fang Gourmet Tea, the Wii-U happened (but we didn't notice), Hotline Miami is good but buggy, Magical Drop V is out (but buggy), and we have an official GeekNights Counter Strike: GO server. We also answer some interesting questions on cheating and "cheapness" from listener Sr.A.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• TL;DR: the game isn't really worth buying unless you're:

1. A bored elite
    2. An aspiring game designer
    3. A former CCG gamer trying to get into board games
  • I think I'll be buying this guy's tea.
  • That guy is the best Churbs.
  • Churba, I'm actually a developer at Tealet.com, you're not the only one who thinks Akky and his tea are awesome. George Takei loved his tea too.

• Churba, I'm actually a developer at Tealet.com, you're not the only one who thinks Akky and his tea are awesome. George Takei loved his tea too.
    Well, that's pretty cool! I'm determined to at least attempt to meet Akky, if I find myself in Kanto. Seems like a pretty chill dude, loves tea, so he's already at full marks in my book so far. I'll probably be picking up some of Akky's tea out of my next pay, I think - the man is clearly passionate, and in my experience, passionate people produce excellent product.
    Well, that's pretty cool! I'm determined to at least attempt to meet Akky, if I find myself in Kanto. Seems like a pretty chill dude, loves tea, so he's already at full marks in my book so far. I'll probably be picking up some of Akky's tea out of my next pay, I think - the man is clearly passionate, and in my experience, passionate people produce excellent product.
    He's in Wazuka, Kyoto. Let me know if you're ever in the area and we can give them a heads up that you want to meet them. They actually have an intern program too, our founder went through and it inspired her to work with tea.
  • edited November 2012
    He's in Wazuka, Kyoto. Let me know if you're ever in the area and we can give them a heads up that you want to meet them. They actually have an intern program too, our founder went through and it inspired her to work with tea.
    Thank you! I'll be sure to keep you in mind, for just such an occurrence. As for the internship, it sounds interesting. I'm a man of many skills - admittedly, so far few of them agricultural, the closest I've come to tea is sugar cane any my roses, but I'm pretty familiar with farm machinery - and many careers, but I've not yet had much to do with tea, beyond serving it. I'll look into it, it seems interesting on the surface. Being Australian and non-US based at the moment may or may not be an impediment, but we'll just have to see, I guess.

Edit - Also, 47 minutes between my post and your first post. You guys are pretty on top of things, I'm impressed.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • He's in Wazuka, Kyoto. Let me know if you're ever in the area and we can give them a heads up that you want to meet them. They actually have an intern program too, our founder went through and it inspired her to work with tea.
    I'm likely to be over there next summer (or winter). Since it'll be work, I probably won't be able to intern, but it's always a pleasure to meet people as into what they do as Akky seems to be.
  • I'm likely to be over there next summer (or winter). Since it'll be work, I probably won't be able to intern, but it's always a pleasure to meet people as into what they do as Akky seems to be.
    Yea, definitely, let me know (you can email me directly christian[at]tealet.com) and I can get you more information.
    Thank you! I'll be sure to keep you in mind, for just such an occurrence. As for the internship, it sounds interesting. I'm a man of many skills - admittedly, so far few of them agricultural, the closest I've come to tea is sugar cane any my roses, but I'm pretty familiar with farm machinery - and many careers, but I've not yet had much to do with tea, beyond serving it. I'll look into it, it seems interesting on the surface. Being Australian and non-US based at the moment may or may not be an impediment, but we'll just have to see, I guess.

Edit - Also, 47 minutes between my post and your first post. You guys are pretty on top of things, I'm impressed.
    There's video of me working with Akky on one of his farms, it's not too complicated but really hard to master. I only did 3 rows and I was ready to take a break. Again, you can contact me directly if you need anything.

• edited November 2012
    There's video of me working with Akky on one of his farms, it's not too complicated but really hard to master. I only did 3 rows and I was ready to take a break. Again, you can contact me directly if you need anything.
    Sounds like cutting cane. It's simple - Big knife, cut it at the bottom, pull it aside, cut the top off. But it's hard to get it mastered, and by the end of a dozen rows, your back aches, your arms are dead, your hands are made of blisters, and you're well behind the old hands. And I'll be sure to contact you when the need inevitably arises.

Post edited by Churba on
  • Just a reminder that Nintendo did launch a console with a major Zelda game. It was the Wii and Twilight Princess.
  • It was also (arguably better) on the Gamecube.
  • It was also (arguably better) on the Gamecube.
    Not trolling, but actually genuinely interested in knowing why. I hadn't heard that before. Was it because there was no sword waggle? That was forgiveable at the time b/c it was new, but I can imagine that game being torture now (I hear they fixed it with Motion Plus in Skyward Sword, but haven't played yet). Was there not much of a graphical bump since they were basically forcing a GC game onto Wii?

• I'm not going to lie, it was mostly the waggle. The Wii version looks a bit better, but no waggle + c-stick camera makes the GC version better for me.
  • edited November 2012
    Scott, I'll buy Seasons off of you for $30. ^_~ Just bring it to PAX East.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Scott, I'll buy Seasons off of you for $30. ^_~ Just bring it to PAX East.
    Sold.
  • edited December 2012
    Actually listened to this podcast -- while I agree with the overall conclusion on seasons, you played the game twice? and at least once with the advantage of being more familiar with the game (card text and mechanics) than your opponents (us, lol). I'm guessing that if we were all more familiar with the cards (not just the ones you see) and mechanics, the game would have run far more quickly and would have been more interesting.

Also, Akky's video was my thing of the day a while ago d:
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • Actually, our "the game takes a long time" had literally nothing to do with the game we played with you guys. It was based on what we perceive the game to end up being like coupled with Scott's experience at NerdNYC playing the game.

Having read most of the cards, I'm confident in my assessment of the game, and have little desire to really play it again.
  • Also, Akky's video was my thing of the day a while ago d:
    I know, that's where I got it from originally. Thanks for that!
  • Rym, what's your take on Seasons as a strictly two-player-only game? I've seen a lot of people say it's great, but only play with 2. I haven't looked into the game much myself, and your reasons for being down on the game seem sound, but wondering if you considered this angle?
  • Actually, our "the game takes a long time" had literally nothing to do with the game we played with you guys. It was based on what we perceive the game to end up being like coupled with Scott's experience at NerdNYC playing the game.
    lol, in that case, that must have been utterly painful. I hope it is improved on, because overall, it does have an interesting blend of mechanics.
  • edited December 2012
    Got around to listen to the episode to day. Just to note, I think the points from the games with the McSorley-Brashear incident, and from the Bertuzzi-Moore incident counted, and both were criminal offenses. So yeah, no asterisk really. There's a number of other incidents which resulted in criminal charges, but I'm not sure about those.

There are also very severe on-ice penalties, such as game misconducts (getting thrown out of the game really), and 5 minute major penalties for gruesome on-ice behavior such as McSorley's or Bertuzzi's.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Eh.. The decisions are few, and the return on investment for employing additional techniques beyond basic things like reading the cards and optimizing transmutation for season changes is pretty low. I feel like the game is already tapped out for me unless I take the time to read ALL of the cards and chart out the various combos. It definitely doesn't feel worth it.

To analogize: the game is about as fun to play as the Kingkiller Chronicle is to read. Fun, but frustratingly just shy of being good.