This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google+ Communities

edited December 2012 in Technology
Google+ Communities is now a thing. Looks like it's their plusified forum thingy.

Comments

• edited December 2012
    Waiting for it to actually go live. I think it actually competes with reddit the most. G+ anime community vs. /r/anime.

Most of my G+ feed is full of tabletop RPG folk, so I think that is the first community that will really take off.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I'd agree that public member communities would become essentially reddit+. The private membership communities would be more forum like.
  • What's Google+?

heh
  • What's Google+?

heh
    True dat. I tend to forget it exists for days at a time.
  • It will fail because when people type "www" in their internet finder line bar it autocompletes to "www.reddit.com".
  • I never forget but, then again, I'm a Google fanboy.
  • It will fail because when people type "www" in their internet finder line bar it autocompletes to "www.reddit.com".
    But whenever they check their e-mail (or read a news article, now that I think about it), there's that button up at the top saying "Hey, G+ still exists!"
    Who the fuck still types out www.- anymore?
  • Waiting for it to actually go live. I think it actually competes with reddit the most. G+ anime community vs. /r/anime.
    Depending on how strict they are about monitoring hangouts, this has one clear advantage over Reddit, at least as far as I'm concerned with /r/anime: the ability to, FROM WITHIN THE COMMUNITY, livestream shit. Getting Redditors to go anywhere but Reddit is insanely difficult.

That said, I don't see how this is any more a competition with Reddit than this forum, or a Facebook Group, is. It seems fundamentally something separate, at least based on what I saw in the video.
  • Waiting for it to actually go live. I think it actually competes with reddit the most. G+ anime community vs. /r/anime.
    Depending on how strict they are about monitoring hangouts, this has one clear advantage over Reddit, at least as far as I'm concerned with /r/anime: the ability to, FROM WITHIN THE COMMUNITY, livestream shit. Getting Redditors to go anywhere but Reddit is insanely difficult.

That said, I don't see how this is any more a competition with Reddit than this forum, or a Facebook Group, is. It seems fundamentally something separate, at least based on what I saw in the video.
    The difference is that it can draw all the users of G+ with the same interest, rather than all the listeners of GeekNights with the same interest.
  • This is true; however, note what I said about "facebook groups", as well.

It's a fun idea. I'm looking forward to it. But I don't see how it's any more a direct attack on Reddit than any other one thing. Maybe I'm just looking too narrowly, however.
  • This is true; however, note what I said about "facebook groups", as well.

It's a fun idea. I'm looking forward to it. But I don't see how it's any more a direct attack on Reddit than any other one thing. Maybe I'm just looking too narrowly, however.
    Facebook does a very bad job of making its groups visible. The interface of their groups is also not conducive to discussion. Time will tell.
  • Getting Redditors to go anywhere but Reddit is insanely difficult.
    Especially if the link is already purple.

• Getting Redditors to go anywhere but Reddit is insanely difficult.
    Especially if the link is already purple.

True story: I once tried to get people to go to a site specifically dedicated to recommending anime instead of making 10 "Recommend me an Anime" threads a day, and the #1 complaint (and the #1 reason I was a "terrible mod") was because they didn't want to have to go off-site to do something. Once a Redditor's in Reddit, they want Reddit to accomplish everything for them. It's a painfully incestuous community.
  • True story: I once tried to get people to go to a site specifically dedicated to recommending anime instead of making 10 "Recommend me an Anime" threads a day, and the #1 complaint (and the #1 reason I was a "terrible mod") was because they didn't want to have to go off-site to do something. Once a Redditor's in Reddit, they want Reddit to accomplish everything for them. It's a painfully incestuous community.
    Stories like these really confuse me. People form communites around tools and in the process they forget what the tool actually is for. Reddit is a tool for sharing links. Sure there is also commenting the links feature and "self posts" but clearly the link sharing is the big primary thing there. And then people form communities there who don't want to go to sites outside Reddit.
  • True story: I once tried to get people to go to a site specifically dedicated to recommending anime instead of making 10 "Recommend me an Anime" threads a day, and the #1 complaint (and the #1 reason I was a "terrible mod") was because they didn't want to have to go off-site to do something. Once a Redditor's in Reddit, they want Reddit to accomplish everything for them. It's a painfully incestuous community.
    Pretty much the case for most redditors - If reddit COULD do it for them, then it absolutely SHOULD being the prevailing attitude, regardless of how stupid that is. They're no better than the people who spend nine tenths of their computing time on Facebook because they think everywhere else is pointless, in reality. It's just fucking silly.

• Most of my G+ feed is full of tabletop RPG folk, so I think that is the first community that will really take off.
    I'm got the same situation. Tabletop embraced G+ as a great alternative to fractured gaming forums, and I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with Communities.
  • Ok, here is the problem with G+ communities. They let everyone make a bunch of them on the same topic. On reddit there is a difinitive /r/hockey/ That's it. On G+ there are so many communities already for each thing I searched for, I don't have time to figure out which G+/anime is the good one. I'll wait for someone else to invite me or let me know which one is right.
  • I'm going to make a G + Scott Scott (Scott)... community.
  • edited December 2012
    Ok, here is the problem with G+ communities. They let everyone make a bunch of them on the same topic. On reddit there is a difinitive /r/hockey/ That's it. On G+ there are so many communities already for each thing I searched for, I don't have time to figure out which G+/anime is the good one. I'll wait for someone else to invite me or let me know which one is right.
    /r/hardhockey, /r/CHL, /r/AHL, /r/Collegehockey, /r/hockeycirclejerk, /r/hockeydesign, /r/hockeyextra, /r/hockeygear, /r/hockeygoalies, /r/HockeyGoaltending, /r/moneypuck, /r/NHL, /r/NHLMemes, /r/nhlwtf, /r/StraightHockey, /r/UKhockey, /r/WesternHockeyLeague, /r/WHLHockey, /r/NHLGames, /r/NHLGotN, PLUS the fantasy Hockey Leauges, PLUS subreddits for thirty-five individual teams, PLUS some esoteric stuff and local leagues.

Also, Metareddit is kinda useful.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited December 2012
    I'm going to make a G + Scott Scott (Scott)... community.
    relevant
    Post edited by Greg on
  • Ok, here is the problem with G+ communities. They let everyone make a bunch of them on the same topic. On reddit there is a difinitive /r/hockey/ That's it. On G+ there are so many communities already for each thing I searched for, I don't have time to figure out which G+/anime is the good one. I'll wait for someone else to invite me or let me know which one is right.
    /r/hardhockey, /r/CHL, /r/AHL, /r/Collegehockey, /r/hockeycirclejerk, /r/hockeydesign, /r/hockeyextra, /r/hockeygear, /r/hockeygoalies, /r/HockeyGoaltending, /r/moneypuck, /r/NHL, /r/NHLMemes, /r/nhlwtf, /r/StraightHockey, /r/UKhockey, /r/WesternHockeyLeague, /r/WHLHockey, /r/NHLGames, /r/NHLGotN, PLUS the fantasy Hockey Leauges, PLUS subreddits for thirty-five individual teams, PLUS some esoteric stuff and local leagues.

Also, Metareddit is kinda useful.
    Those are all different. There is no redundancy there.
  • edited December 2012
    Those are all different. There is no redundancy there.
    Oh, hey, I haven't used this for a while -

Are you fuckin' serious? Oh, there is a definitive /r/hockey subreddit, which is completely different to every other reddit that also discusses hockey, because /r/hockey discusses Hockey, which no other hockey subreddit covers. Quick, pull the other one, it plays Greensleeves.

Please don't bother to explain whatever semantic bollocks you want to use instead of saying "Okay, bad example, but you know what I mean", which we'd all probably go along with.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Now if you had said /r/icehockey was redundant with /r/hockey, I would agree completely. Unless of course /r/hockey was including field hockey and tonsil hockey, but it does not.

/r/hockey and /r/nhl are not redundant. Yes, there are many NHL links in /r/hockey, but also many non NHL links. Someone who only cares about the NHL is better served by the more specific reddit. The more general reddit will also not have links which only someone who cares more deeply about the NHL than hockey in general might care for. Team specific reddits are even less redundant, often containing links and threads about specific players and such that noone who is not a fan of that specific team would ever care about.

/r/anime and /r/japaneseanimation would be redundant. /r/anime and /r/trigun and /r/studioghibli are not.

What I am seeing on G+ is lots of truly redundant communities.
  • I'm going to make a G + Scott Scott (Scott)... community.
    relevant
    Watch out, it will most likely turn into an asinine conversation on tax or religion or some bollocks like that.