This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

RIT

edited December 2012 in Everything Else
I figured we needed an all-around thread about RIT, seeing as about 5 forumites go here and even more are alumni. Classes, professors, events, advice, questions, it all goes here.

So, for my question, what would be the easiest way for me to get a kitchen (I pretty much just need an oven) some time this week?
Post edited by Ikatono on

Comments

• 1. Find friend with apartment.
    Any other options just get complicated.
  • What about a toaster oven?
  • Banned in the dorms.
  • That lady that is in charge of the RIT achievements system: I didn't like her when I met her. She struck me as someone that knows not what she does.
  • Was it Liz Lawley? Or Elouise Oyzon? The first is lame, second is great.
  • I really need an oven. It turns out a bunch of people I didn't think were getting me presents are getting me presents, so I need to get them stuff. Cookies are my only hope.
  • I really need an oven. It turns out a bunch of people I didn't think were getting me presents are getting me presents, so I need to get them stuff. Cookies are my only hope.
    Are there not kitchens in each dorm complex? Or at least some sort of centralized "kitchen place"?
  • Nope. Apparently there used to be stoves in the lounges, but there aren't even lounges anymore (they turned them into quads). Now we only have microwaves.
  • Even when they were lounges, they only had microwaves. Too many fires. Blame the engineers.
  • Are all colleges this bad, or does RIT have a higher concentration of people who can't make food for themselves?
  • I don't know. I've also seen a lot of people do it as a prank (sometimes deaf people, as the alarms don't wake them violently, so some of them see it as a prank)
  • Are all colleges this bad, or does RIT have a higher concentration of people who can't make food for themselves?
    The kitchens in the dorms here regularly get locked due to people leaving the kitchens a mess. My friend also almost set a kitchen on fire because he didn't notice/wasn't told there was a piece of metal in a thing he was putting in the microwave.
  • All colleges are that bad. Most people don't seem to get taught life skills/cooking before they go to college.

Regarding burning shit in the microwave. It's kinda a shit happens thing. You just have so many people using the same stuff that uncommon personal mistakes are common in the group as a whole.
  • There's apparently a full kitchen somewhere in Sol Heumann Hall that students can sign up to use. I don't know any details.
  • WHAT IS THIS NO ONE TOLD ME THE FUCK
  • Google isn't helping so I'm going to ask the RIT reddit page.
  • Okie doke.
  • edited December 2012
    As much as everyone loves to hate on CSH (and for good reason), they appear to be the only dorm floor with a usable kitchen.

EDIT: Karlito: There's a kitchen in the basement, accessible from the tunnels. Hillel uses it to make challah. I would seek them out to get details.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Man, that's super lame. When I was there, every dorm floor (with a few exceptions) had a study lounge, a hangout lounge (with a TV and microwave), and a kitchen lounge.

Fuck them for turning any of those into dorms.
  • Wait, did they take the microwaves out? Every floor on NRH had one in their little lounge just a couple years ago, did that change?
  • We still have microwaves, but you can only do so much with those. Although, I do have a bunch of good friends in converted quads, so I might have won out in the end. Now I'm just going to think about how much I like my friends in terms of kitchen appliances.
  • I've seen many a lounge get converted to dorms.

However, I know for a fact that the Honors dorms still have 2-4 lounges per floor.
  • I was invited into the honors dorms and avoided them like the plague. I did not regret my decision.

The "quiet" dorms were equally plague-like and thus avoided.
  • When I visited the Honors dorms they were much nicer than either of the dorms I lived in.
  • The people I met from them were largely annoying and complainy. There were weird "quiet" rules in the evening and other restrictions that ensured I wanted nothing to do with those floors. I recall them not even being allowed to have visitors past a certain time.
  • Those rules are in every dorm. I have seen almost no dorms where they are enforced.
  • Things must have changed. When I was there, different dorms had different quiet hours. The honors and study dorms had "quite" time beginnig at like 7:00pm. Regular dorms weren't "quiet" until 10 or 11.
  • Quiet hours start at 11 in any dorm. We also have 24-hour "courtesy" hours, which I think eliminates the need for different dorms of having quiet hours.
  • The book says floors and halls can vote on specific hours.