This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comics worth reading

Comments

• Jesse Moynihan is a writer/storyboard artist/animator for Adventure Time. A lot of his work there is informed by his beautiful Gnostic mythology space epic, Forming. It's utterly brilliant, super weird, and beautiful. Also, very NSFW at times.
  • edited December 2012
    The MLP comic launch inspired me to check out the format for the first time in almost 2 decades, and I picked up a half dozen other issues with some buzz. So far I really like Saga and Hawkeye, but it looks like those aren't exactly news to anyone here. I also thought FF #1 was pretty fun. Waiting on a pile of positively reviewed trades at the moment.
    Post edited by Nissl on
  • The MLP comic launch inspired me to check out the format for the first time in almost 2 decades, and I picked up a half dozen other issues with some buzz. So far I really like Saga and Hawkeye, but it looks like those aren't exactly news to anyone here. I also thought FF #1 was pretty fun. Waiting on a pile of positively reviewed trades at the moment.
    If you like FF you should go back and get the trades of all the FF written by Jonathan Hickman.
  • edited December 2012
    Recently bought the first trade of the Hickman FF and also of his Fantastic Four and hopefully will finally get the chance to read them over the winter break. Looking forward to it, because I read the last issue of FF before Marvel NOW started (don't ask; I wasn't expecting much at the time, so wasn't worried about spoilers). Even not knowing a thing about it, it was fantastic.

Incidentally, Hickman is now doing the new main Avengers title, the first issue of which was pretty neat.

EDIT: While I'm here, some other Marvel NOW books that are shaping up to be good or decent -- Journey Into Mystery starring Lady Sif, All-New X-Men, and Indestructible Hulk.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • The Walking Dead got really good again. Heard a lot of buzz around issue #100 but wasn't sure it'd live up to the hype. The latest trade came out spanning 100, and it's quite good!

Funny to see that at the same time as the TV show has survived some boring parts and has risen to a new peak w/ the Governor plot, the comic has done the same, and is basically doing Governor 2.0.
  • As much as I want to read Hickman's run on FF, I'm waiting for the eventual Omnibus edition. I caved and bought the new deluge version of the Nausicaa box set. Gorgeous over-sized Miyazaki artwork... drool.
  • edited December 2012
    I thought Avengers #1 was reasonably fun and got a ton of story done but was ultimately kind of hollow; I didn't relate to the characters at all. I also think it got some extra slack from me because of the Mars setting, which I assume would be old hat to anyone who's been reading superhero comics in the last few decades. I'm still picking up the second issue of the series because of my OCD need to learn about all of the superheroes in the chart and the hope that we'll get some interesting stories out of them learning to work as a team. I'm not super optimistic right now, though. (I wish Spiderman and Wolverine weren't part of this new team, because those characters have been run into the ground at this point. It feels like Wolverine in particular is on every single team book in this reboot.)

I'll go back and check out FF if I ultimately wind up liking Hickman's take on Avengers. I'm waiting on an order of Journey Into Mystery, which has gotten some pretty good reviews. As for other Marvel Now books I sampled so far, Thor has a cool cross-time narrative and some gorgeous locations but the colors are drab, some of the faces look derpy, and I don't care about the character at all. He needs to have a significant relationship with *somebody*. Deadpool seemed promising - great art, Brian Posehn writing, dead presidents as villains. Ultimately it was kind of underwhelming, though. I thought I was getting Hark a Vagrant with great art and superhero fights, but instead it was really straightforward superhero book with a few riffs on things like the New Deal. And I don't like Deadpool himself. I got more laughs out of the Hawkeye issues I've read.
    Post edited by Nissl on
  • Are the Watchmen prequels any good?
  • The Dr. Manhattan one is good. The rest are okay (Minutemen) to bad (Rorschach).
  • Wonder Woman, which tops a lot of DC reboot lists, is worth checking out based on the first trade. It has great art and visual style and a very engaging story of gods at war that's completely walled off from the rest of the DC universe. There are a few snags in the storytelling here and there, but it doesn't detract too much.
  • Oh man I saw the latest Locke & Key sitting in a comic shop yesterday. Had to resist peeking inside. Must wait for the trade.

I really love the fact that Locke & Key is a set 6-trade run, after which the story will end. Anyone else have recommendations for good series that are of manageable length to read the whole run? 30 issues or so? Something in-between reading a graphic novel and sinking into a 100-issue comic run.
  • Oh man I saw the latest Locke & Key sitting in a comic shop yesterday. Had to resist peeking inside. Must wait for the trade.

I really love the fact that Locke & Key is a set 6-trade run, after which the story will end. Anyone else have recommendations for good series that are of manageable length to read the whole run? 30 issues or so? Something in-between reading a graphic novel and sinking into a 100-issue comic run.
    Go for all the Vertigo series that have already ended like Preacher, Y The Last Man, Sandman, etc.
  • Book of Magic by Vertigo.
  • Sweet Tooth, also Vertigo. It's set to end at issue #40 this January, and the first 32 issues have already been collected into five trades.
  • GeoGeo
    edited December 2012
    http://mangafox.me/manga/boku_wa_beatles/

From Kaiji Kawaguchi (better known to some of you as the author of the manga known as Eagle), this is a comic about a Beatles cover band who is sent back in time to a point before the Beatles hit the music scene. Knowing that they have this amazing opportunity, they start playing the famed Beatles songs that nobody has heard of yet and are claiming them as their own.

It is as cool as you might think it is. Might as well read it here since we are most likely never gonna see it in English.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Scott's Box showed up today. Finally got tons of pony comics. Got one with Fluttershy cover. Also got the subscription variant Jill Thompson cover and the boxed set for prize-giving and/or selling and/or gifting purposes.
  • So I am finally burning through my piles of unread comics. Read the entire first volume of Saga, instead of just the first issue. Holy shit, it just gets better. My expectation bar was already high, and this jumped over it. Where is volume 2? WHAR?
  • edited December 2012
    Told you! The new issues get better.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Saga is amazing. I just ordered the first trade after paging through #5 at the FLCBS on a whim. So cool.
  • Saga is amazing. I just ordered the first trade after paging through #5 at the FLCBS on a whim. So cool.
    That little ghost girl is kind of my favorite character right now, also I hope she didn't "die" at the end of that first trade.
  • Just recently read that first trade myself after having bought it a little while ago. Holy shit indeed. It is now on my pull list because our shop tends to sell out of the new issues very quickly.

As for the trades, I think their plan is to release new issues consistently, then take a break for a little while, then have a trade come out, and then they start up new issues again. Sort of like having breaks between seasons of TV shows and releasing season box sets in the off time. I don't know why more ongoing American comic series don't do that. It probably helps make sure the writers and artists don't burn themselves out, letting the series quality stay as high as possible.
  • Just recently read that first trade myself after having bought it a little while ago. Holy shit indeed. It is now on my pull list because our shop tends to sell out of the new issues very quickly.

As for the trades, I think their plan is to release new issues consistently, then take a break for a little while, then have a trade come out, and then they start up new issues again. Sort of like having breaks between seasons of TV shows and releasing season box sets in the off time. I don't know why more ongoing American comic series don't do that. It probably helps make sure the writers and artists don't burn themselves out, letting the series quality stay as high as possible.
    Atomic Robo does that.
  • Good on 'em. Like I said, more series should. Lots of underwear pervert series, for example, don't do that and as a result can have a lot of fluctuation, or need to have fill-in artists/writers that throw off the flow of things and whatnot.
  • Now available for pre-order. LOOKOUTS RIDDLE HC VOL 01

Yes, those Lookouts.
  • edited January 2013
    Saga 9 is out! Going to download it when I gets home! Each issue always ends on partial cliff hangers. Damn you Vaugh/Staples!

Edit: Check out some of the pages from it. Oh mans, new lifeforms.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I am anxiously waiting for Saga's trade #2
    Also, Action Comics is messing up my mind in an awesome kind of way. Grant Morrison is kind of awesome.
  • edited February 2013
    There's a Superman/Batman crossover called "The Search For Kryptonite" that my Superman fanatic friend turned me on to. It turns out that Kryptonite is super-ubiquitous on earth after all this time, and pretty much every supervillain (and a lot of regular joes) have chunks of it. So, Superman and Batman team up to steal every piece of kryptonite on the planet. It's really fun!
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Anyone know if this series is any good or know anything about it?

http://www.imagecomics.com/comics/5024/Happy-1-of-4-
  • Saga TP Volume 2 is on the order form this month. On shelves in June.
  • OH MANS. You're going to love it.