This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What have you bought recently?

Comments

• Picked up a copy of the Republic and the Liliad quite cheaply.
  • Finally bit the bullet and got myself an iPad.
    I got one because I wanted quicker access to a computer without it being my giant laptop and if my desktop was powered down. I used to use my phone but trying to read anything past a few seconds on that thing is annoying.

I actually have been using it quite a bit. It's really good when I want to sit on the couch and browse the internet.
  • I got a PAX East and MAGfest Badge and hotel room.
  • Well fuck you.

• Amazon credit card points, I assume?
    Yes. I even have some left over.
    I admit, I'm torn as to whether it's worth it to get an Amazon credit card. I do buy a lot from there, but I also have other cards that give cash back points and sometimes even bonus cash points when shopping on Amazon.
  • My use my bank points card to buy Amazon gift cards.
  • Bought the Humble Book Bundle.
  • GeoGeo
    edited November 2012
    Just bought a new Blue Snowflake Microphone to hold me over and make my audio quality a million times better than it was before (I was using a shitty USB headset).

Someday I'm going to buy a full-fledged Snowball microphone along with a mic stand and a pop filter so the popping P's won't be of an annoyance to those who find it as such.

Post edited by Geo on
  • The Snowflake was my first non-shitty microphone. I bought mine in '08 and it still works great, though I don't use it too often because, well, SM57.
  • The Snowflake was my first non-shitty microphone. I bought mine in '08 and it still works great, though I don't use it too often because, well, SM57.
    I actually found out what the Snowflake was from you during a Geekchat many months ago. Someday the SM57 will be in my possession. Not right now though, because I lack an income (other than SSI).

• Financial Aid disbursements are how I can afford things, hence why I buy more expensive things in January and August/September.
  • Uploaded with Imgupr

I was at FYE today and stumbled across the ultra rare box set edition of Royal Space Force. What would have cost me $80 (because of the once fucking evil Bandai Visual), now costed $10. Obviously I bought it sight unseen. I find it hilarious however that I have it also on a dead format.
  • FYE still exists?
  • FYE still exists?
    Yes it does. There aren't any on your shores?

• FYE still exists?
    Yes it does. There aren't any on your shores?
    I was pretty sure they were gone too. I guess I just assumed that after all of the stores in the southeast closed.
  • There's. one out in Natick in Central MA, and I think there's a few in New Vermontshire.
  • Lucky it has DVDs in there because HD-DVD is dead.
  • If you get the Xbox HDDVD drive you could rip it to something usable.

Apparently a recent update to the Xbox removed the HDDVD player capability.
  • I recently upgraded my TV to a 50" 3D set. Not much 3D content out there but it does a good job making 2D into 3D.
  • I recently upgraded my TV to a 50" 3D set. Not much 3D content out there but it does a good job making 2D into 3D.
    Did you buy Hugo? If not, I highly recommend you do so because it is the best movie to fully utilize the 3D technology to date.

• Got a scholarship payment early. Used some of it to go on Amazon and buy more Christmas presents for family and friends -- annnnnd a couple things for myself, namely:

- A pair of touch screen gloves because woman! I am tired of my fingers freezing when I use my phone at the bus stop. Went with Glider Gloves based on this review and Amazon star ratings, so here's hoping they're at least okay.

- The Indiana Jones Blu-ray set because the price has dropped to $50 CDN. For four movies on Blu-ray (even Crystal Skull, which I actually kind of enjoy) plus a bonus features disc, I call that fairly reasonable.

• edited December 2012
    I found three interesting books at the used bookstore: 'The Future of the Internet — And How to Stop It' (I don't know if it'll be smart and techie, or hilariously bad, but the author seems to understand his terminology so I'm optimistic), selected stories from Dashiell Hammet, and 'Tokyo Underworld', about an Italian mobster moving to post-war Japan and getting involved in the Yakuza's transition from small gangs to large syndicates. Sounds pretty interesting.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • I have the Princess Jellyfish DVD & Boo-Ray and all is right in the world.
  • Oh mans, I did not know that Princess Jellyfish came out in America.
  • I found three interesting books at the used bookstore: 'The Future of the Internet — And How to Stop It' (I don't know if it'll be smart and techie, or hilariously bad, but the author seems to understand his terminology so I'm optimistic), selected stories from Dashiell Hammet, and 'Tokyo Underworld', about an Italian mobster moving to post-war Japan and getting involved in the Yakuza's transition from small gangs to large syndicates. Sounds pretty interesting.
    Checked out Tokyo Underworld and it's really interesting so far. If you dig it, check out Tokyo Vice.
  • I found three interesting books at the used bookstore: 'The Future of the Internet — And How to Stop It' (I don't know if it'll be smart and techie, or hilariously bad, but the author seems to understand his terminology so I'm optimistic), selected stories from Dashiell Hammet, and 'Tokyo Underworld', about an Italian mobster moving to post-war Japan and getting involved in the Yakuza's transition from small gangs to large syndicates. Sounds pretty interesting.
    Checked out Tokyo Underworld and it's really interesting so far. If you dig it, check out Tokyo Vice.
    If you like those two books, check out Dogs and Demons: Tales from the Dark Side of Japan. (http://www.amazon.com/Dogs-Demons-Tales-Dark-Japan/dp/0809039435/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355340391&sr=1-1&keywords=dogs+and+demons). An interesting and not-often told viewpoint about Japan.
  • A 3/8" stuffing tube and 9 pounds of barley seed.

I know how to throw a party.
  • I hope that is for New Year's Eve, and on the stroke of midnight, you will pull a string that causes 9 pounds of barley seed to shoot out of a tube and rain down on your guests.