This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pacific Rim

edited December 2012 in Movies
Does anyone else besides me see all the Evangelion in this trailer?

Comments

• I don't see Shinji, instead a see what it looks like a strong female lead. Which is kind of awesome :D
    So far, I am really liking it and Guillermo del Toro has a fantastic record in my book.
  • I don't see Shinji, instead a see what it looks like a strong female lead. Which is kind of awesome :D
    So far, I am really liking it and Guillermo del Toro has a fantastic record in my book.
    True, no Shinji. But I do see:

Gigantic military NERV-like organization building robots to fight aliens.
    Two pilots working in concert, like the DDR episode.
    Helicopters dropping robots into the ocean.
    The line "To Fight Monsters, we created monsters."
    Mysterious umbrella girl could possibly have a Kaworu-like role.
    They specifically mention fighting against apocalypse.

Needs more cicadas.
  • edited December 2012
    Oh shits, those robots run GLaDOS.

As for the Evangelion comparison: Evangelion itself was somewhat of an homage and a logical extrapolation of all the Tokusatsu and Kaiju properties from the 70s in japan. It appears that this film is doing something similar with the same intention. However, since EVA itself has become rather influential I wouldn't preclude them from taking some inspiration in EVA either.

Seriously though, the thing that piqued my interest the most was the GLaDOS voice. She's not credited on IMDB, but it is definitely Ellen McLain.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I predict it will have equal quality to Prometheus.
  • edited December 2012
    I just went and looked up one of their marketing fluff websites and discovered that apparently part of the pacific rim defence plan is to pick up Sydney and re-locate it to Brisbane.

Also, apparently the bot mentioned in the trailer, Gypsy Danger, is from Alaska.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • That trailer makes me want to watch Robot Jox again.
  • edited December 2012
    I just went and looked up one of their marketing fluff websites and discovered that apparently part of the pacific rim defence plan is to pick up Sydney and re-locate it to Brisbane.
    At least you get a name of a city, as opposed to "Japan". Also, London is apparently on the border between England and Scottland, and Paris is in southwest france.

BTW, the name of the robots is "Jaeger", which is german for "Hunter".
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Specific Rym
  • Specific Rym
    It's a Giant robotic Rym, riding an equally enormous bike, wielding a battle trumpet in one hand, and a keyboard in the other. Yes, it has a Ponytail, and yes, it's made of steel.
  • I just imagined giant robo Rym tearing off his unibrow and wielding it like Gurren Lagann wields his glasses.
  • edited December 2012
    Specific Rym
    It's a Giant robotic Rym, riding an equally enormous bike, wielding a battle trumpet in one hand, and a keyboard in the other. Yes, it has a Ponytail, and yes, it's made of steel.
    But what ominous sound will it produce from the giant loudspeakers mounted in its chest, reaching the ears of its enemies to break their morale before RoboRym is visible on the horizon?

Post edited by Matt on
  • edited December 2012
    I did enjoy the Air Man bot.

Post edited by Apreche on
  • Specific Rym
    But what ominous sound will it produce from the giant loudspeakers mounted in its chest, reaching the ears of its enemies to break their morale before RoboRym is visible on the horizon?

• Del Toro does kaiju? I am all over this like Godzilla is all over Tokyo.
    Needs more 3D HUD's. THEN.. and only then, will it equal Prometheus.

Even if, from a technical and craft standpoints, it's as bad as Prometheus, it won't be as bad as Prometheus.

Prometheus was attempting to tangentially associate itself with an existing (and beloved) series of movies. It was also so riddled with inconsistencies that not even teh hardcorez fans of that series (like myself) couldn't fan boy past it. I seriously doubt that that people who enjoy Evangelion will find THAT much wrong with it, especially through the lens of changes made to make it a (hopefully) more enjoyable action experience.
  • I hope it's as good as Prometheus
  • It looks like rockem sockem robuts and godzilla.
  • Getter Robo vs. Mothra.
    Brovangelion vs Cthullu feat. GLaDOS
    Brovangelion vs Cthullu feat. GLaDOS
    You win. Double bonus points for coming up with "Brovangelion." It could not be more aptly stated.
  • So is it Portal canon?
  • edited December 2012
    A) Prometheus was crap.
    B) This will be crap, it will have lots of robots fighting and then some more robots fighting, and if you think that that's what Evangelion is about you can go stuff yourself.

Sorry if I'm a bit crotchety, but I just saw the trailer for Oblivion and that looks like crap too, and I have a nagging suspicion that Cloud Atlas is crap as well, and I just want at least one more good sci-fi movie in my lifetime so I don't have to spend all my retirement watching The Matrix and Fifth Element over and over.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • Another big sci-fi movie for next year:

After Earth (2013) - IMDb
    www.imdb.com/title/tt1815862/
    After a crash landing, a father and son explore a planet that was evacuated by humans 1,000 years earlier.
    Directed by M. Night Shyamalan. Starring Will Smith, Jaden Smith.

Come on, Hollywood! Make something I really want to see!
  • A) Prometheus was crap.
    B) This will be crap, it will have lots of robots fighting and then some more robots fighting, and if you think that that's what Evangelion is about you can go stuff yourself.

Sorry if I'm a bit crotchety, but I just saw the trailer for Oblivion and that looks like crap too, and I have a nagging suspicion that Cloud Atlas is crap as well, and I just want at least one more good sci-fi movie in my lifetime so I don't have to spend all my retirement watching The Matrix and Fifth Element over and over.
    Although it's not sci-fi action in the vein of those two films you mentioned, I heartily recommend Moon.

• edited December 2012
    Although it's not sci-fi action in the vein of those two films you mentioned, I heartily recommend Moon.
    Added to Netflix queue!

Also I just remembered that I have yet to see Looper, and even if it disappoints I'll always have 12 Monkeys.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • I don't know what trailer you guys were watching, but Pacific Rim looks like its going to be the raddest movie ever.
  • I also need to see Looper.
  • That trailer had an honest to god rocket assisted face punching. I don't care if it sucks more balls than a back hole in a sporting goods store, I will be watching this film.
  • Unless that punch is better than the punch in Big O, I don't care.