This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pacific Rim

Comments

• I think a Looper Geekbyte would be apt, be interested in your thoughts on it.
  • Unless that punch is better than the punch in Big O, I don't care.
    Spoilers, it wont be.
  • Rocket punch can't possibly beat piston punch. Nothing has the satisfying look of piston punch.
  • Robot punches are like good wines. The fact that a particular Merlot is really good doesn't detract anything from another, similar wine. Every wine has it's own quirks. I want to live in a world with a thousand good wines.

Also a thousand robot punches. The more of them that are rocket assisted the better.
  • Drunken Bulter is right. Everyone else is wrong.
  • Unless that punch is better than the punch in Big O, I don't care.
    Having never seen Big O, I googled this apparently mystical piston punch. Having found the video (which was cool), the top comment was....

"Now you can nerd out this reference whenever anyone mentions the "rocket punch" featured in Pacific Rim."

I lol'd.
  • Does your robot TURN INTO A FIST?

• edited December 2012
    Pacific Rim does not look like it will be good, but it does look like I might enjoy it. I am entering into this in the spirit of all kaiju-battles-super-robot fiction, which is clearly what this is meant to evoke.

EDIT: I should specify further, since Eva keeps being brought up. I don't see this borrowing from Eva specifically, but rather sharing a lot of common ancestry (again, old super robot anime and movies).
    Post edited by Alex on
  • I want to see an homage much like Cabin in the Woods.
  • Guys, we all need to remember that Guillermo del Toro is writing/directing. Has he really given any reasons in the past to doubt him now?
  • edited December 2012
    The same said about that Last Airbender movie, even though Shamalamadingdong did make some questionable stuff.

I no longer trust trailers.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited December 2012
    Avatar was the child of M. Night Shyamalan, who'd already given people plenty of reason to doubt his work. He was also mucking up a beloved franchise. Pacific Rim can do its own thing and nobody will get all up in arms about it.
    Post edited by Ruffas on

That show story was kind of epic. I am kind of sad that a second season might not happen :(
    That show story was kind of epic. I am kind of sad that a second season might not happen :(
    You mean a Shin Mazinkaiser? Because Shin Mazinger Z was a complete story.
  • Guys, we all need to remember that Guillermo del Toro is writing/directing. Has he really given any reasons in the past to doubt him now?
    That's what I've been thinking. The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth were both masterful bits of filmmaking. Hellboy I & II were more popcorny, but I enjoyed them a lot all the same. Very creative monster designs, awesome sense of style, good directing. I don't expect Del Toro to disappoint.
  • Director commentary of the trailer
    Some nice additional details about the film.
  • I am actually looking forward to this, but I also expect it to be kinda dumb. Fun dumb.
    You mean a Shin Mazinkaiser? Because Shin Mazinger Z was a complete story.
    I felt that it was not. Mostly because, on the last episode [spoilers] everyone realized that the bad guys were actually trying to do something good but from their own point of view[/spoilers]
    By the way this opening is kind of awesome!
  • The mecha genre needs more of this
  • Gosh, that movie started out so good and then spent eternity going nowhere. Bluh.
  • Really? Damn.
  • In my opinion, Patlabour 2 is so slow and sluggish in pace it might as well be filmed underwater. Scott and some others will disagree, but I've tried to watch it three times and only made it through once. And it's not like I don't like Patlabour; I routinely recommend the first one to people who want to get into anime alongside Ghost in the Shell and Sword of the Stranger.
  • I just want Big O to return
  • does anybody remember be kind rewind?

I fell out of my damn chair after watching this. The rocket punch at 1:50 is fan-fething-tastic
  • edited March 2013
    Also a side by side with the original. Just so you can fully appreciate the majesty.
    Post edited by Drunken Butler on
  • The sound effects are killing me LOOOL
  • Using a tanker as a bat. That's pretty cool.

• I don't get the two pilots thing. I expected it to be more like an aircraft gunner or navigator or something. Or at the least a backup. Not synchronized swimming.
  • I don't get the two pilots thing. I expected it to be more like an aircraft gunner or navigator or something. Or at the least a backup. Not synchronized swimming.
    They didn't steal from Eva enough, they had to steal episode 9 as well.