This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Wednesday - Winter Anime 2012-2013

edited December 2012 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we review, based solely on a single picture and short description, all of the anime series listed here for winter of 2012-2013 (you can follow along with the image). One normally shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but anime? It's a pretty safe bet in most cases. But before that, Hobbits, Mononoke Hime, Jellies (Nyar), the sad story of WarZ, and the Anime Boston Tipping Guide. We've also launched a new show! GeekNights Presents, starting with a detailed analysis of Shoujou Kakumei Utena. We have about 40 more episodes of this to go, but we won't increase the speed at which we upload/produce them unless you guys spread the word!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• edited December 2012
    Pretty good. You could do better by paying more atention to the studio. That seems interesting but could be utter crap? Look at the studio and you will probably know, specially the ones doing shitty harem/moe every season.

You got it right with Chihayafuru. Even though karuta is a ludicrous sport (it's actually 100% metagame without barely any relation to the original intent of the game), it's all the greatness of sports anime. You should watch it. I think the second season is the only thing I will be watching from that char.
    Post edited by 5ro4 on
  • Pretty good. You could do better by paying more atention to the studio. That seems interesting but could be utter crap? Look at the studio and you will probably know, specially the ones doing shitty harem/moe every season.

You got it right with Chihayafuru. Even though karuta is a ludicrous sport (it's actually 100% metagame without barely any relation to the original intent of the game), it's all the greatness of sports anime. You should watch it. I think the second season is the only thing I will be watching from that char.
    Except we don't know the reputations of a lot of the studios except major ones like Gainax, Ghibli, 4C, MadHouse, etc. Who the hell are AIC Classic, Seven, Artland, and Brains Base?

• edited December 2012
    Brains Base made Baccano! and Durarara!!.
    Post edited by Ruffas on
  • Pretty good. You could do better by paying more atention to the studio. That seems interesting but could be utter crap? Look at the studio and you will probably know, specially the ones doing shitty harem/moe every season.

Except we don't know the reputations of a lot of the studios except major ones like Gainax, Ghibli, 4C, MadHouse, etc. Who the hell are AIC Classic, Seven, Artland, and Brains Base?

So there's this new thing called "Google." You should check it out.

• So there's this new thing called "Google." You should check it out.
    Very few studios are consistent enough for it to matter. More to the point, I doubt many if any of these shows would elicit a different surface opinion had I sought further information.

We reviewed every one of these anime solely on the information available in the image and information already in our heads. I've seen more individual anime than most people in the entire world, and even I only have strong opinions on a handful of studios and creators.

So there's this new thing called "Google." You should check it out.

If I did research, I wouldn't be judging by the cover, would I?
  • edited December 2012
    I've seen more individual anime than most people in the entire world, and even I only have strong opinions on a handful of studios and creators.
    If you have seen 10 individual shows, you have already seen more anime than most people in the entire world, so that's not too much to say. And it's not about having strong opinions but more about knowing what kind of stuff that studio usually deals with.

You could have known that Tamako Market by KyoAni is going to be cute girls doing cute things with excelent production values. Anything by ZEXCS is usually mediocre at best. DEEN fucks up everything it touches, so if the source material is not already excellent, don't even bother. AIC = otaku pandering. A-1... well, irrelevant because no pants.

But yeah, that's aditional information if you know about it; there's no point if you have to go do research.
    Post edited by 5ro4 on
  • Rym: "That already looks like it's gonna be weird and perverted."
    Oh Rym, you have no clue how right you are. Superpowered mahjong played by lesbians with no underwear. On the upside, no pantie-shots! It's a show with ridiculous outfits, hairstyles, mahjong powers, and lesbianism.
    Know Your Creators, scrublord! You should at the least know SHAFTxShinbo.
    We reviewed every one of these anime solely on the information available in the image and information already in our heads.
    You didn't use all the information available in the image though. The charts could do with more specific information like who's the director, writer, etc. since that's a better indicator of what team of a studio is working on stuff.
  • It would be nice if the chart named directors and such.
  • edited December 2012
    It would be nice if the chart named directors and such.
    Aye. Also, some more about Sasami-san. Have a picture with her and her brother.

EDIT: And on the topic of totally awesome kids movies. You Are Umasou, have a tumblr page of the tag. All y'all fuckers who read this comment better go fucking watch it asap. It's fucking awesome.
    Post edited by Not nine on
  • It would be nice if the chart named directors and such.
    I'm surprised moetron didn't have the directors named on this chart, because in previous years they have been.

• I'm surprised moetron didn't have the directors named on this chart, because in previous years they have been.
    Maybe that is because they didn't make this chart? Just a suggestion.
  • I'm surprised moetron didn't have the directors named on this chart, because in previous years they have been.
    Untrue.

http://www.moetron.com/2012/11/17/winter-2012-13-visual-guide-and-anime-schedule/

• I wanna chip in this little gem of info that explains the whole The War Z dealieo. The game's designer was the lead programmer on Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing, widely regarded as the worst game of all time.
    Untrue.
    http://www.moetron.com/2012/11/17/winter-2012-13-visual-guide-and-anime-schedule/
    In the meantime, please refer to this other visual chart courtesy of Neregate.com
    I was hoping you'd check the freaking chart, but instead you flail around stupidly. Moetron hasn't been putting out charts since last year or so. They decided to just use those made by others.
  • edited December 2012
    The only winter anime I'm at all looking forward to see are "Ishida to Asakura"
    Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman (Monkey Puuuuuunch!)
    and maybe the Zettai Karen Children spin-off. I haven't watched the original, so maybe some of it will go over my head. I've seen no trailers of Cuticle Detective Inaba, but I just love that the word cuticle is in the name of a show.

"Vividred Operation" can die in a fire. On ANN, someone wanted to compare it to Star Trek, in the way they have sexual elements in them. Vividred is selling these girls as fanservice up front, and in all the promos I've seen, they are not very concerned with science fiction.

Why did poor "Train Hero" not get an image?

Post edited by VichusSmith on
  • I wanna chip in this little gem of info that explains the whole The War Z dealieo. The game's designer was the lead programmer on Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing, widely regarded as the worst game of all time.
    That's not the worst of their issues. If you follow reddit gaming, these developers are just bad news, through and through.

• "There's no way a show with boobs like that is good unless it's Slayers."

Mizuha in Mahou Tsukai Tai, Jung-Freud in Gunbuster, Mune Mune in Abenobashi, Yoko in Gurren Lagann, Yurika and Minato in Nadesico, Fujiko in Lupin III, Sakaki in Azumanga Daioh... Need I go on?
  • All the boobs you mentioned either aren't quite the same (there's a particular sort of "bullshit boob") or aren't actually from good shows. ;^)

Not all Lupins are good.

Also, the show to which we were referring... was it bad? Were we wrong?
  • Also, the show to which we were referring... was it bad? Were we wrong?
    With an argument like that it doesn't matter if you are right in that particular case if it can be shown that you are talking bullshit in general sense.

• In general, shows with breasts portrayed tend to be shit shows to a higher degree than other shows lacking this one factor.
  • In general, shows with breasts portrayed tend to be shit shows to a higher degree than other shows lacking this one factor.
    If we believe the 90% of everything is crap rule, and why shouldn't we, it's trivial to state that any common trope in anything means that's thing is likely to be crap.
    What I'm trying to say is, how can we differentiate the 90% of all anime is crap from 91% of all animes with boobs on the cover is crap?

• Lol, getting called out for being prejudice when intentionally being prejudice.
    If we believe the 90% of everything is crap rule, and why shouldn't we, it's trivial to state that any common trope in anything means that's thing is likely to be crap.
    What I'm trying to say is, how can we differentiate the 90% of all anime is crap from 91% of all animes with boobs on the cover is crap?

90% of anime is crap. 98% of "boob" anime is crap.
  • RymRym
    edited December 2012
    Let's take Slayers as your example.

1. Naga (the boob character) isn't in the show: only the completely separate OAVs.
    2. Naga is played up not as actually being attractive, but as ridiculous comedy.

Most shows with character designs like that:

1. Actually play them up as fanservice.
    2. Are total shit.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Fuck you guys, I liked Abenobashi. I haven't seen Gunbuster yet, but Enokido wrote it, so I assume its good.
  • RymRym
    edited December 2012
    Abenobashi was, in my opinion, pretty boring. I also have little tolerance for pandering fanservice.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Gunbuster (and Diebuster; despite the not-insane boobs, it was a boob show in it's day) is amazing if you're a mecha fan. It's a show where the use of the Mecha tropes is just thick enough that I can't say straight up it's a good show.