This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Questions

Comments

• Sennheiser PC360s
    Seems great, but expensive. For that money you can get the USB kind.
  • After owning many headsets, I've found you get what you pay for in terms of construction and audio quality. I previously owned the Steel Series Siberia V2 headsets for a couple years and was very pleased with them (until my fucking cats chewed through the cables :( )
  • edited December 2012
    OK, so, I've got to figure out how to use the Boston T to get to a doctor's appointment at Children's Hospital Boston in Lexington at 4pm on the 3rd. I pretty much know how to get to Riverside on the Green Line and then ride into Gov't Center, all else is black magic to me.

Apparently I need to take the Red Line to Alewife and then take the #62 bus and arrive at the building by 3:30pm. Ugh.

We don't have such monsters as subways and reliable bus lines in Connecticut. I have no idea what I'm doing (insert chemistry dog). Should be fun?

Yes, I know there's schedules online. So far they look like complex financial algorithms as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT - oh, hey, Google maps does subways and buses in places where such things exist. D'oh.
    Post edited by muppet on
  • That's why I'm so harsh on other cities' mass transit. New York's subway runs 24/7 and with enough frequency that one can basically just show up at a station and assume that a train will come.

Our subway only ever requires planning if one is trying to get to a farflung place by a very specific time, and even then it's just a matter of making sure your connections are actually running.
  • edited December 2012
    I use headphones for most audio and I'd go with a PCI soundcard with a good set of headphones. The USB DACs are passable but even a basic Xonar will get you pretty close to surround sound over stereo headphones.

Surround for games varies depending on how the given game handles it's output streams (EAX would have made this much easier had Creative not been all mineminemine with later versions.). NS2 works well with most things being quite distinctive and you can hear people in BF3 well enough to work out what point of the compass to turn to, though hearing helicopters go overhead is fantastic.

A USB headset will be more portable but I'd go with stereo headphones and an entry level PCI soundcard. Music also sounds better than the motherboard sound and you can get into the whole ASIO + FLAC stuff if that's your cup of tea.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • How common is it to see something like "employees may not solicit clients" in a job offer contract?
  • edited December 2012
    How common is it to see something like "employees may not solicit clients" in a job offer contract?
    Fairly common, I think - they don't want you accidentally misrepresenting product, especially if they're a company that takes large clients. At the very least, I've seen it before.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • My bank's yanking my chain too much, so I'm gonna switch. So whcih banks are the better ones, or should I start looking at credit u
  • My bank's yanking my chain too much, so I'm gonna switch. So whcih banks are the better ones, or should I start looking at credit u
    Credit unions, mostly not evil, good interest, hard to find ATMs around.

I use Chase. They are evil, and I don't get fancy credit union interest, but there are no fees. Actually there are fees, but I don't pay any because I figured out what I have to do to avoid them. Mostly just keep $300+ in my savings account and use my credit card, never the debit card. Bonus, there are ATMs everywhere.
  • Daria movies v. Sailor Moon v. Steins;Gate. What do I watch?
    Credit unions, mostly not evil, good interest, hard to find ATMs around.

I use Chase. They are evil, and I don't get fancy credit union interest, but there are no fees. Actually there are fees, but I don't pay any because I figured out what I have to do to avoid them. Mostly just keep $300+ in my savings account and use my credit card, never the debit card. Bonus, there are ATMs everywhere.
    A lot of credit unions (and possibly banks, too) do ATM reimbursements up to a certain cap monthly. It's fine if you don't hit the ATM frequently.
  • anyone else find the 3D effect on the 3DS an eyestrain? Especially at full effect.
  • Depends on the game. That's why you have a slider.
  • anyone else find the 3D effect on the 3DS an eyestrain? Especially at full effect.
    I tried one in a store once and it hurt my eyes a lot. I would never touch one again without first disabling the 3D effect.
    I tried one in a store once and it hurt my eyes a lot. I would never touch one again without first disabling the 3D effect.
    Which is easily done because it has a slider for the depth of 3D.
  • I think it got over-used in some of the earlier titles. Like, the depth in Ocarina is waaaaayyy too deep on full 3D for my eyes even to focus on properly. But full 3D in Mario Kart 7 is just about perfect.
  • Would/did the assault weapons ban have an impact on Nerf guns?
  • Fuck no. It's foam for christs sake.
  • Unless you're Australia.
  • Fuck no. It's foam for christs sake.
    Yet some models of Nerf guns are not available outside of the US.

Naw man, we get NERF guns, we just don't get airsoft guns.

• When my friend visited from Norway he bought some Nerf guns and left some behind due to customs issues.
  • edited December 2012
    Unless you're Australia.

You just need a permit for your nerf guns.
    Post edited by MATATAT on

You just need a permit for your nerf guns.
    Well, yeah. We can't have the place descending into anarchy.

• Does anyone have any reason (besides price) why I shouldn't upgrade to a wireless headset? I'm in the market for a gaming headset, and I'd prefer it to be wireless. I'm looking at the Logitech G930 right now.
  • http://www.highpressureshowerheads.com/high-pressure-shower-head-hand-held.html

Does this seem shady to anyone else? I'm in the market for a decent handheld shower head, preferably high pressure, but to me the website seems a little too promote-y and shady, like a typical website of its design. Better yet, if anyone has owned one or have any other recommendations, let me know.
  • The G930 will get you decent audio and positional for games. The small DAC won't be so great for music but it transmits audio digitally so you won't have problem with radio interference.
  • If you want a high pressure shower head, you can just buy a regular one and remove the flow limiter. It's a federal offense, but it will be very difficult, if not impossible, to get caught. Really only way to get caught is if there is some sort of home inspection or building code inspection that is very thorough. However, that shower head is reasonably price, and is about the same price as ones at the store, so no much harm in getting it.

Wireless headsets could be pretty nice, but I would worry about a delay in the audio.
  • Alright, I'll give it a go and try both out. I thought about removing the flow limiter as well, but I live in a higher-end apartment in my area and I'm not sure if they monitor that sort of thing. Regardless, I'll try it out to see.