This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - Hotline Miami

edited December 2012 in GeekNights

Tonight on a very special Christmas episode of GeekNights, we review pumping, stylistic Hotline Miami. Before that, we consider the best Christmas movie ever made, Skiing and zeal, the God of Cedar Point, Scott commanding in Natural Selection 2, and Rym's experiences managing a CounterStrike: GO server (in all its undocumented glory).

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• There are usually many reasons why people just sit around on the ski hill. Usually it is either people waiting for someone who is slow, people who like skiing but are more interested in "hanging out" than actually skiing, people who are not normally athletic, or people who like to take it nice and slow and chill and are worried about getting hurt if they move past their comfort point.
  • Two disparate people on your twitter used the word "tamed" on the same day? It's a Festivus miracle! :D

My favorite Xmas themed game is a free little indie game called Garden Gnome Carnage. You control a building on wheels which has a garden gnome on an elastic rope attached to it. Move the building to swing the gnome around (with unrealistic game type physics) to knock off the elves that try to climb the building and knock the Santas trying to land on your roof out of the sky. You can have the gnome you are swinging around grab bricks off of your building and hurl them. You can call in air strikes.
  • Chipmunks-

• Scott played HLM despite bugs? A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!

Real talk, though: I'm excited to listen to this.
  • edited December 2012
    Scott talking about being the commander in NS2 reminded me about Hockey goalies:
    - They can't win you the game but they sure as hell can lose them.
    - Even if they are good, the team playing with them can still lose the game by leaving them hanging.
    - Winning is not necessarily defined by the skill of them, but the guys who are actually attacking and their skill at FPSs/hockey.
    - Some of the most entertaining games are when the commanders/goalies on both sides are both incompetent; but
    - you really hope that this is very rarely the case.

Also, you can lock on with mouse and keyboard on an enemy in Hotline Miami. You just click on them with the middle mouse button.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Scott talking about being the commander in NS2 reminded me about Hockey goalies:
    - They can't win you the game but they sure as hell can lose them.
    - Even if they are good, the team playing with them can still lose the game by leaving them hanging.
    - Winning is not necessarily defined by the skill of them, but the guys who are actually attacking and their skill at FPSs/hockey.
    - Some of the most entertaining games are when the commanders/goalies on both sides are both incompetent; but
    - you really hope that this is very rarely the case.

Also, you can lock on with mouse and keyboard on an enemy in Hotline Miami. You just click on them with the middle mouse button.
    Great comparison! It's exactly like the goalie in hockey. Also, thanks for middle mouse button.
  • Soon as I figured that out, deadly throws mask became my bread-and-butter - Lock on to the guy on the far side of the room, wait for the patrolling guy, smash him down with the door, throw my weapon at the other bloke, then beat-down the patrolling guy before he gets up.
  • I try to avoid using lock-on in any game. Makes me feel hardcore. MAKES ME FEEL LIKE A MAN!
  • I like to play as Richter, and then only use the silenced Uzi for throws. Barehanded execution runs are also awesome, too.
  • Tony the Tiger mask is the shit. I no longer do any waiting patrol-wise; I just burst in and go nuts.
  • edited December 2012
    That Santa game could be interesting. What about a part where you have to pick the shortest route between houses to visit (basically trying to visually solve the Traveling Salesman)? Would that be fun?

EDIT: Your move, Santa. (details)
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • It's all about the deadly doors. Biggest game changer there is.
  • edited December 2012
    Accidental post.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Wound up using the owl mask because I was afraid I was going to miss something awesome. Turns out there's not too many places where it comes in handy.
  • edited December 2012
    Yo, both of you totally missed why there is randomization in Hotline Miami. It's because you are supposed to plan room by room, not floor by floor, waiting behind the doors and small halls. This is a game about timing, not patterns. Because the enemies change their patterns and the weapons are not always the same, if you try to win by just memorizing the levels, you're going to have a bad time.

Also, Hotline Miami is my game of 2012 and I think the pacing, the music integration and the style should be seen as a benchmark for the sheer ability to get the player psyched. The game has perfect attitude and it draws the player in wonderfully. More games need to be like Hotline Miami.

(PS: Tony the Tiger is still the best mask. A good player never picks up a weapon unless they need to kill an armoured guy.)
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • edited December 2012
  • I have to say, hearing "Down, Down to Goblintown" in the Glamdring video brought back a flood of memories from the 1977 Hobbit movie.

Also, you guys have convinced me to give Hotline Miami a shot. I hadn't heard that the crash bugs had been patched.
  • edited December 2012
    My only problem with this game is that it's too short. I'd be happy if I had and endless supply of new levels to play.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • My only problem with this game is that it's too short. I'd be happy if I had and endless supply of new levels to play.
    there was rumored to be DLC and an endless mode in development, but they've said they're working on a sequel now, so who knows.

• Re: no podcasts until after Magfest: you do have a nice cache of guest episodes that you can fall back on, I believe. ;)
  • edited January 2013
    Tony the Tiger mask is the shit. I no longer do any waiting patrol-wise; I just burst in and go nuts.
    Best mask, I used it all the time. Since punches are fast a quiet it was really simple to dash in and knock a couple people and clear most rooms. It also has the added bonus of not needing to take extra time to beat people senseless to kill them.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • In response to the opening bit question of "are there any Christmas video games?" I direct you to Toyshop Trouble a homebrew Atari 2600 cart published by Atari Age that is actually a really awesome game. You basically have to slam the cursor around the screen, first dipping it in one of several paint buckets, then painting over the appropriate toys (as they move along conveyer belts). Complete all the toys to move on to the next day, and make it to Christmas for the big victory.

I played this at the November NAVA meeting and plan on buying it at some point. There are several other holiday-themed cartridges published by Atari Age but I didn't get a chance to try the others.
  • "are there any Christmas video games?"
  • "are there any Christmas video games?"
    Wrong one.

• edited January 2013
    "are there any Christmas video games?"
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • To Scott:

Listening to you complain about all the flaws in this game makes me question how strongly you follow your own rule of "If there is something to complain about in a game; that game is not worth your time because there are many other better games you could play instead." which comes from a conversation which spawned off me going "Man, this sword is so cool, but it's just straight up worse than the other sword, that's bullshit"
  • I have a podcast And I need things to talk about. If I only play NS2, that would be a problem.
  • You're only going to play NS2, though.
  • It's not like you haven't talked about video games without playing them before, after all.