This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Critique me

edited September 2007 in Everything Else
Tell me your honest opinion of this video. Just watch the whole thing and tell me what you think. Boring, unexciting, too fast, too loud, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K-w3OjsJ8M

Comments

• I'm don't usually listen to classical music but that was kick ass! It wasn't boring or exciting but the music was amazing. I just laid here and listened. It made me imagine cool things.

I did have to turn up my speakers but that might just be my speakers.
  • It was probably my microphone, its not too quality. Thanks though, I've only been playing nine months and I want to see what people think of me.
  • I'm not familiar with the piece, but it sounds like you rushed it a bit.
  • Yeah, I'm trying to play it too fast for my skill level. From all the pro's I've watched its about that tempo, but I'm not good enough for it.
  • While I'm not a musician and as such can't offer any sort of technical critique, I will say that I definitely enjoyed listening to you play, and at no point did my ears begin to bleed. There were some mistakes, yes, and your microphone has a hiss to it, but overall I'd say you're doing a great job with the piano. Keep on practicing and growing in awesomeness!
  • edited September 2007
    I'm not familiar with the piece, but it sounds like you rushed it a bit.
    In agreement with WIP here. It is a very very good performance overall; just keep practicing it until you've got the pacing down.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I was quite impressed, I was expecting something worse. Post another vid once you nail this song.
  • Yes, actually I have played this piece before, a truly marvelous performance but your tempo was just a bit too high, not to mention you played it a little softer at parts than intended to have more pronunciation, more strength.

Overall I enjoyed it.
  • Wow, if you haven't been doing this for that long, then.. damn, you're awesome. It was a little off, from what I could tell; to be completely honest I haven't heard that peice before; but.. it is good.

No offense or harm meant but: it's entertaining to watch you sway. When I played piano (urgh, I hated playing piano; I'm no good at it) I was rather stiff, but you seemed to have a natural flow to it. =D How did you learn? Teacher, self-taught, class?
  • Take more lessons with someone who can help you with dynamics and tempo control. You have great emotion in your playing and you don't have difficulty freeing yourself from the 'strictly technical' side of the music (which can be good for Lizst) but I really think you aren't keeping the basics in there. Highly interpretive pieces loose cohesion if you don't stick to the basics. I listened to your Beethoven and Back pieces as well and these are common themes in your playing.

The Pathetique needs to be slower with greater attention to dynamics I think.

Invention #4 is a great piece (I played a cello/bass duetted version of it for a composition class in high school) but you need to focus through the tempo! It sounds like you're loosing interest in pieces and 'performing' them just before they're ready to be performed. The entire point of this work is to teach you rhythm and fingering technique. If you cannot play it in a metronomic manner, you didn't succeed.

Finally Prelude 1 in C minor you run into a similar problem. The arpeggiated nature of the song frees you to play with the tempo and rhythm a bit more, but Bach has certain rules around this. It also means the song gets terribly boring if you ignore the dynamics. You have a good start but it'd be worth your while I think to focus on dynamics in a song like this. Play around with them, see what you like. Listen to at least three other performances of the piece by different artists and see what they do differently. This will give you an idea about where you would like to go with your performance.

The audio seems to be better on some than others. I'd recommend if you're going to post something like this to youtube, don't have seriously high expectations of the audio but do the best you can. It seems like you may not have a teacher and meeting with an experienced musician every few weeks would greatly improve your playing. You obviously have a lot of talent and you have potential for true professionalism with a little more focus. Great job!
  • I agree with most other people here. Slightly rushed, but awesome. And the sound was soft. Ah well, can easily crank up my speakers, it beats destroying my eardrums before I can turn it down XD.

You should play on a more awesome piano. Our ex-pianola perhaps. IT IS HUGE! And has an awesome sound when it's tuned. I've heard Mario themes been played on it :D Continue your practicing and you'll be more awesome at Pianoing.
  • edited September 2007
    Take more lessons with someone who can help you with dynamics and tempo control. You have great emotion in your playing and you don't have difficulty freeing yourself from the 'strictly technical' side of the music (which can be good for Lizst) but I really think you aren't keeping the basics in there. Highly interpretive pieces loose cohesion if you don't stick to the basics. I listened to your Beethoven and Back pieces as well and these are common themes in your playing.

The Pathetique needs to be slower with greater attention to dynamics I think.

Invention #4 is a great piece (I played a cello/bass duetted version of it for a composition class in high school) but you need to focus through the tempo! It sounds like you're loosing interest in pieces and 'performing' them just before they're ready to be performed. The entire point of this work is to teach you rhythm and fingering technique. If you cannot play it in a metronomic manner, you didn't succeed.

Finally Prelude 1 in C minor you run into a similar problem. The arpeggiated nature of the song frees you to play with the tempo and rhythm a bit more, but Bach has certain rules around this. It also means the song gets terribly boring if you ignore the dynamics. You have a good start but it'd be worth your while I think to focus on dynamics in a song like this. Play around with them, see what you like. Listen to at least three other performances of the piece by different artists and see what they do differently. This will give you an idea about where you would like to go with your performance.

The audio seems to be better on some than others. I'd recommend if you're going to post something like this to youtube, don't have seriously high expectations of the audio but do the best you can. It seems like you may not have a teacher and meeting with an experienced musician every few weeks would greatly improve your playing. You obviously have a lot of talent and you have potential for true professionalism with a little more focus. Great job!
    Thank you for watching all of those.

With the Liszt, I did rush it. I'm used to playing Bach, so when I finally play a romantic piece, I kinda went crazy. With the Pathetique, I had only been playing about 5 months when I recorded that, so I need to redo it. Same goes for Invention 4 and Prelude in C. I take lessons once a week, and it helps alot. I'll get some new recordings up soon of improved playing. Thanks for your comments.
    Post edited by Mr. Eric on
  • Thanks for your comments.
    Any time! Keep up the good work.
  • Truly impressive for the short time of learning, I've heard worse from people playing a lot longer than you.

Looking forward to new videos ^^