This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Android: Netrunner

edited January 2013 in Board Games
It seems by now that Netrunner is going to be a significant game that is asploding. Tonight I skipped regular board game night and went to a Netrunner meetup instead. There were just a few people there, but they have been playing this game seriously since it was released at GenCon. There's already tournements happening. The second data pack is already released. This could easily end up being the second biggest card game after M:TG. I'm going to go in on it as much as I have time for. Who's with me?

Comments

• I liked the idea of it. Tried to play it at Magfest, but Will thought it was overly confusing and that the cards were really poorly designed.

I like that there's a direct, me vs. you game with a deck customization component that's not just "Hey let's print a million trading cards and compete with MTG by crooking the rules slightly so and praying for the best".
  • At this moment I've played two games with a friend. We liked it. I'll bring it up at my next monthly board game night (10-20 people lately). If it's popular, I may buy a second copy of the base game just to let multiple groups play at once (without card overlap). I think it's very interesting potentially, but I need group buy-in (where multiple people buy at least the base game). If it doesn't hit that critical mass, I don't think I'll be able to get super into it.
  • I liked the idea of it. Tried to play it at Magfest, but Will thought it was overly confusing and that the cards were really poorly designed.

I like that there's a direct, me vs. you game with a deck customization component that's not just "Hey let's print a million trading cards and compete with MTG by crooking the rules slightly so and praying for the best".
    It's also not collectible. It's more like a subscription. You just keep buying a new pack once a month, and you have every card. It is annoying that to technically be able to make every legal deck you have to buy the base set three times. I'm going to try to get those cards some other way than buying the base set three times. I'm also going to see if Fantasy Flight or some retailer will offer an actual subscription, so I don't have to remember to buy the new expansions as they come out.
  • edited January 2013
    I think I might make a video tutorial. My macro lens will be good for getting close up shots of cards.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I was wondering about that from the language in the rules. That you have to buy multiple of it to have "all possible decks" does irk me. It's not a big deal, but "cmon"... I mean "cmon!"
  • I was wondering about that from the language in the rules. That you have to buy multiple of it to have "all possible decks" does irk me. It's not a big deal, but "cmon"... I mean "cmon!"
    All the data packs include three of every card, so you never have to buy multiple copies of those. It's just that there are some cards that are only included in the main set once or twice, and you can legally have three of them in a deck. They should really have included them in the main box, or should sell a completion pack of some sort.
  • Jeremy will be down along with myself.
  • Jeremy will be down along with myself.
    Well, Jeremy is assumed. I mean, cards. Seriously.
  • The temptation is there, for sure, but I'm already going all-in on the X-Wing Miniatures Game, doing basically the same thing. Buying the new stuff as it comes out, going to X-Wing events, plan on hitting the tournaments.

So yeah, Fantasy Flight Games is crushing the tabletop gaming scene right now. Hope you guys enjoy the Netrunner scene. Perhaps I may one day join you.
  • The temptation is there, for sure, but I'm already going all-in on the X-Wing Miniatures Game, doing basically the same thing. Buying the new stuff as it comes out, going to X-Wing events, plan on hitting the tournaments.

So yeah, Fantasy Flight Games is crushing the tabletop gaming scene right now. Hope you guys enjoy the Netrunner scene. Perhaps I may one day join you.
    Gotta attack only one.
  • I heard it was good, one of my friends has it. I've yet to play it yet.
  • I'm in, though I'm all the way down here in TexASS. Maybe at PAX East, we can have a little FRC Netrunner game-a-thon-arama-palooza?
  • I'm in, though I'm all the way down here in TexASS. Maybe at PAX East, we can have a little FRC Netrunner game-a-thon-arama-palooza?
    Oh Yiss.
  • Who's with me?
    I'll do blackboard work and theorycraft it as much as I can for people. I don't own the game yet (tight finances) but I'm pretty sure I can do good work in a vacuum considering my Magic Pro level play and years of card games since my teenage years. That said, anyone privy to spoiler lists? Yes, I'm being lazy ATM but it's late.

Whats the overall impressions as far as "best" deck? Any metagame formed as yet? Anything resembling a mature scene or is it too infantile at this stage?
  • edited January 2013
    I'm very interested in this game but not quite at the point where I'm ready to commit monetarily. I have a friend who is really into Magic so I feel like if I get him on board then it will be worth buying.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Trust me, compared to Magic, this game might as well be free to play :)

Love the LCG model, but I agree with above posts, should have a complete base set or a one off "top up" pack to bring card count up.

Still, you would only need that if playing competitively. Plays fine, like any other game, out of the box.
  • Just read tournament rules and they say that card sleeves are semi-mandatory. Fuck fuck fuck.
  • I know you hate that, Scott, but it really is better overall.
  • Just read tournament rules and they say that card sleeves are semi-mandatory. Fuck fuck fuck.
    Just don't buy penny sleeves and you'll be fine.
    Just don't buy penny sleeves and you'll be fine.
    Is it really that big of a deal?
  • edited January 2013
    I should invent sleeves that can be shuffled properly. Or they should print cards on plastic, even if it costs more.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited January 2013
    I should invent sleeves that can be shuffled properly. Or they should print cards on plastic, even if it costs more.
    Well, what about sleeves prevents the cards from being shuffled properly? Shouldn't be a hard problem to fix. Use the right plastics, the right size, and the right construction, and it should be all sweet.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I should invent sleeves that can be shuffled properly. Or they should print cards on plastic, even if it costs more.
    Well, what about sleeves prevents the cards from being shuffled properly? Shouldn't be a hard problem to fix. Use the right plastics, the right size, and the right construction, and it should be all sweet.
    The main problem with sleeves is they aren't flexible in the same way as cards. To provide any protection of the card the sleeve needs some durability to it that necessarily reduces flexibility. Maybe some really fancy expensive material can fix that problem, but they are just too expensive. The slit at the top also opens and lets air in when the card is flexed. The cards now have tons of space between them instead of being a neat little deck. The friction between the sleeves is way off, so they slide all over.

The fundamental problem is this. If a card is worn out, which any card will eventually be, it is considered marked. And it's totally true. If you get a new expansion, those new cards obviously stand out in the deck. Your one old trusty card you traded for that is heavily worn also stands out. So the only way to play without sleeves is to have all brand new cards all the time.

So you put on sleeves, and now a card has the same back no matter if it is worn out or not. Hooray, you don't have to buy new cards all the time. Yes, a sleeve can be marked, but a sleeve can also be replaced. A whole box of sleeves is a few dollars, which is a lot cheaper than getting all new cards. With collectible cards it makes even more sense if you want to use an old expensive card that may be in poor condition.

The problem is now the cards are physically awful to handle or shuffle. If we could make a card sleeve out of card stock it might work better, but the front still has to be transparent.

They could solve the problem by making the game all digital, but fuck you if you want me to pay money for digital cards. If it's a digital game I'm going to expect to pay one flat price period to have access to every card ever.
  • I should invent sleeves that can be shuffled properly. Or they should print cards on plastic, even if it costs more.
    They have sleeves that can be shuffled properly. The ones I have are M:TG branded, but they're very stiff and grippy, allowing a nice ruffle shuffle. I'm not sure of the brand name, but any reasonable card shop should have them.
    They have sleeves that can be shuffled properly. The ones I have are M:TG branded, but they're very stiff and grippy, allowing a nice ruffle shuffle. I'm not sure of the brand name, but any reasonable card shop should have them.
    I will investigate. Every card sleeve I've ever handled has been shit. Also, it would be really helpful if I could get some red and some blue so they match Netrunner properly.
    I will investigate. Every card sleeve I've ever handled has been shit. Also, it would be really helpful if I could get some red and some blue so they match Netrunner properly.
    There are some inexpensive mono-color Japanese sleeves most stores carry that are pretty good.
    I don't know much about sleeves, but yeah, just from seeing people play at events and such I've seen all sorts of different colors, designs, combinations, etc. I'm sure you'll eventually find what you want.
    I don't know much about sleeves, but yeah, just from seeing people play at events and such I've seen all sorts of different colors, designs, combinations, etc. I'm sure you'll eventually find what you want.
    What I want is for all card sleeves to die in a fire. Probably not going to happen.
  • I fucking hate card sleeves.