This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Not all M.I.T. students are smart

edited September 2007 in Politics
Note to self: Don't bring a fake bomb to an airport and call it "art".
Article here.

Comments

• Before she enrolled at MIT, she traveled the world “saving the planet from evil villains with my delivered-just-in-time gadgets,” according to her site.
    Nothing more needs to be said.
  • The fact that her name is "Star" hints that she is of hippie lineage, and she's 19 years old. Coupled with her crime-fighting mission statement, it seems she may have a few screws loose that MIT may need a bit more time to tighten.

I wonder if she understands how fortunate she is to be alive right now.
  • Usually I find the good intentions in things. In this case all I find is stupidity of how the world is today. Hell, you could even of gotten away with this 20 years ago!

I wonder if she understands how fortunate she is to be alive right now.
    I probably would of shot on site and then later regretted it. I don't think she thought of the consequences or thought anything out thoroughly.
  • Yeah I heard on talk radio a interview with one of the arresting officers that she was very lucky and if she had made one slip up when they were arresting her they would have shot her.
  • There's a lot more information about the topic at boingboing.

I'm aware that the only time most people ever see hand made electronics is when there's a bomb in a Hollywood movie so I guess I'm not too surprised that that would be the conclusion that someone at an airport would jump too, but I still feel a little bit odd about the whole situation. I think I've actually seen her wearing that around the MIT campus once and I didn't really even notice it then except to think "ooh, LEDs." I have a lot of sympathy for how someone could not realize that something that isn't unusual in their normal environment could appear to someone from a very different background.