This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070920 How not to suck at college part 1

edited September 2007 in GeekNights
Uhh.. guys... Thule is pronounced "too-lee" and is a car rack manufacturer. Thus the car rack featured in the game.

Comments

• Uhh.. guys... Thule is pronounced "too-lee" and is a car rack manufacturer. Thus the car rack featured in the game.
    The more you know.
  • edited September 2007
    The advice regarding trying out a community college before moving on to a specific study at more distinguished college or university is great advice that I wish was given to me. I was never "undeclared;" however, I did waste a lot of time due to major changing. If I had gone to a community college for my first year, I would have spent the same amount of time in my undergraduate studies but would have owed ~$18k less. As it is, community college saved my butt by allowing me to kill my general education credits with dirt cheap summer classes.

(The advice regarding books is valid too.)
    Post edited by xenomouse on
  • The only problem with deferring college and/or going to community college first is that you won't make as strong friendships when you do get to college. Most of the bonding is done during the first semester. If you are older when you show up, you're already somewhat "different."
  • Huh... Guess I'll be different when I restart college at 29.
  • Yeah... but you'll also be the guy who gets really good grades because you don't fall prey to any and all distractions.
  • I made the mistake of making the default choice of going to a university right out of high school when I had no frickin' idea of what I wanted to do. I ended up dropping out and learning a huge lesson.
  • GODDAMMIT, YOU GUYS. WHY DIDN'T YOU POST THIS EPISODE BEFORE?!?!

T_T, I spent sooo much of my pocket money on unnecessary textbooks.
  • I got my textbooks under the table first year. It's good to have corrupt bookstore workers who don't give a fuck. ^_~ After that I never spent money on a text except for my Flash book which was only 20 bucks.

Anyway as a community college student I wholeheartedly agree on trying that first. It saves money and It's good if you don't know that to do yet. I have a friend who went from art to accounting because it wasn't for them.
    The only problem with deferring college and/or going to community college first is that you won't make as strong friendships when you do get to college. Most of the bonding is done during the first semester. If you are older when you show up, you're already somewhat "different."
    Can't you just make friends which other transfers and the freshman? You are right on the first semester bonding. I'm still cool with my first year friends now.

Hey...didn't you guys do a how not to suck at college in the first few episodes?
  • Wow, that's really helpful... My original plan was that, next year while getting my last couple courses at the high school I'm in, to also do a few life-drawing courses just to get that under my belt, then run off to Vancouver, Toronto, or Calgary with wide open arms. This doesn't work when someone doesn't know what to do - there's a huge gap between concept art (for games/cartoons) and fashion design...

Thanks guys. =D
  • edited September 2007
    Thanks for posting another illegal youtube link and ruining my expectations again. Guess I should thank you for keeping my "The View" viewing count at 0.

I know how to score at RIT, brothers. It's the same as high school: tell the teachers what they want to hear.

End of story.

-dave
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • The link was not illegal. It was, in my non-lawyerly opinion, protected under fair use because it met the four-factor analysis requirements. Posting of the video did not financially harm the producers of the show, and the clip was used for the sake of review of the material presented therein.

The fact that YouTube has removed the video does not make the clip illegal; it only means that YouTube's representatives felt it violated their terms of use policy. There is a world of difference.
  • Uhh.. guys... Thule is pronounced "too-lee" and is a car rack manufacturer. Thus the car rack featured in the game.
    You know, as soon as that word was said in the episode, I turned and saw it on a car rack nearby. I was in a parking lot at the time so the odds were a bit greater than usual, but still, it was interesting.
  • Being the older guy at college has many benefits:

You can buy beer.
    You have (likely) been with a woman before and will not fall prey to them (unless you want to).
    Other kids will look up to you because you are experienced.
    You don't whine as much.

College is not much different than military life in the barracks. The only big difference is that in college you go to a classroom all day and pay to be there while in the military you hang out in the shop all day smoking and joking and get paid. After hours life is about the same.