This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Presents Utena: ep03

edited January 2013 in GeekNights

GeekNights Presents: Utena
Episode 03

Episode three brings us not a duel, but a ball. But was the ball not perhaps a duel in disguise? Nanami, Touga, and Utena all had machinations, but pay attention to what each of them actually wanted: the relationship between each of their true desires is more complex than one might realize.

So what just happened on the night of the ball? Where does the world of the "special people" intersect with the world of the mundane? At what point did Utena cross from one to the other?

Source Link

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Cross-posted response from the Utena forum: bahhh really wish these would be produced faster because I want more analysis like this pronto.* That fucking shadow play with the two dogs! I never got that one until now and then you dropped the explanation and I was like "FUCKIN' A WHY DIDN'T I SEE THAT FFFFFFFFFFFF". Similar feeling with the explanations behind the uniforms/dresses and Touga's brewing plan.

I think my having missed a bunch of these things may just be a remnant of the fact that I've been more dismissive of the Student Council arc ever since I became a fan. I am just used to not thinking about that part of the show as hard as I think about the rest of it because I have always automatically described that arc like: "Oh there are clues about the future of the show there and it has a killer conclusion, but mostly it's just the fluffier, normal-ish season that's there to trick people into getting invested." That general purpose of the arc is still valid, I think, but I'm really starting to get the sense now that the dismissive part of my thinking is unwarranted, and I'm kicking myself over that because I should know better. There are probably a lot more details and structures that I just never even bothered to consider because I was too busy thinking about everything in terms of the show's big picture. I need to break my lazy viewing habits next time I revisit these episodes for myself.

* - [insert sound of baseless and pathetic whining here]

(Though, seriously, how popular do you really expect these to be? It's not like Utena videos tend to light the world on fire.)
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • (Though, seriously, how popular do you really expect these to be? It's not like Utena videos tend to light the world on fire.)
    If ANY of our videos or series get large numbers of views, then we'll speed these up. ;^)

• (Though, seriously, how popular do you really expect these to be? It's not like Utena videos tend to light the world on fire.)
    If ANY of our videos or series get large numbers of views, then we'll speed these up. ;^)
    Well that's a bit of a game changer. I wasn't really watching or promoting RFE anymore, but if that'll (hypothetically) speed up the Utena episodes, I guess I'mma have to.
  • I have other backburner series that I'd love to do, but can't really justify right now. Radio Free Ooo (why doesn't Jake go mad when he wears the Ice Crown?), GeekNights Presents: Neon Genesis Evangelion, and a Let's Play series.
  • Well, just don't let this this happen.

• edited January 2013
    a Let's Play series.
    YES.
    Post edited by 5ro4 on