This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

adblock + developing = headache

edited September 2007 in Everything Else
I was working on a wesbite for a friend this weekend and I could not figure out why we could not get his AdSense to work. I think I spent half an hour on it before I realized I had modded my hosts file a while back to redirect all adsense traffic to 127.0.0.1... I shudder to think what his site looked like to the rest of the world while I was doing that! Good thing it is low traffic...

Comments

• There have been some groups who want to start blocking the use of firefox to get to some sites as so many firefox users use Adblock/Adblock Plus.
  • I blogged about that myself last week and it is an easy thing to get around.

If you sell ads directly and host any banners on your site in the same directory as your regular images people will see the ads. If they block your image directory than the whole site will likely look like shit!
  • than the whole site will likely look like shit!
    Unless the creator knows what he was doing. I mean, black on white is boring yes, but it's still usable. And heck, if the entire page is nothing but words and links it's hard to get distracted.
  • than the whole site will likely look like shit!
    Unless the creator knows what he was doing. I mean, black on white is boring yes, but it's still usable. And heck, if the entire page is nothing but words and links it's hard to get distracted.
    True, if the designer know what they are doing they will also include sizes in their img tags. If they do not include sizes in their tags and the image do not show up the site will be all fuckerd up looking!

There sites out there that use images for things such as menus and leave off the alt text. In cases such as that there will be no menu if you block their images.
  • If you sell ads directly and host any banners on your site in the same directory as your regular images people will see the ads. If they block your image directory than the whole site will likely look like shit!
    If a site did that, I wouldn't visit the site again. People should learn that their opinions aren't worth shit to me. If looking at your site causes me a headache because of all the "Hit the monkey with the dart to win a free PS3" banners, I simply won't go there. There are thousands of other sites I can go to get the same content without the headache.
  • I do sell direct ads and I also make sure any direct sell ads are:

a. good product or service
    b. in line with content
    c. not an annoying "shoot the rapper" type of ad

If a video game site runs an ad for GameFly I see that as a good mix. If I am going to look up information on video games I may be interested in signing up for GameFly. If that same site has an ad for web hosting well... it does not belong there because it does not match the site's content.

All ad spots I sell need to be approved by me and that is one of the big failings with AdSense. With AdSense you are relying on a third party to pick good ads for you. If Google distributed their text ads from a different server than their image/video/flash ads I would unblock the text ads from my hosts file. Instead I just block them all.

The funny thing about ads on line is that when you look around you will find that it is the big media sites that cover their site with more ads than content and not the small bloggers.