This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Official GeekNights CounterStrike: GO Server

Comments

• I'm Freddie.
    No, you're Alan.
  • I hope to get some more FRCF server games in over the coming few weeks. Post a time to this thread, and I'll do my best to get there.
    Same here.
  • What's the para good for? It seems like it's mad expensive for how useful it is. At the start of a round, I never think, "hey, I'll buy a machine gun." Same goes for pretty much all the submachine guns and pistols except P90 and deagle.
  • I played for about 20 mintues and then found an opportunity to leave town.
  • Were you the guy on my team in train I shot in the head who then left?
  • What's the para good for? It seems like it's mad expensive for how useful it is. At the start of a round, I never think, "hey, I'll buy a machine gun." Same goes for pretty much all the submachine guns and pistols except P90 and deagle.
    If you get a machine gun, you have to aim low, and you can get kills against a group. At PAX I mowed a ton of guys down in the italy market with the machine guns.

What they are really for is covering fire. You and your teammates approach a long hallway, say office. You know you are going to get killed going down the hallway. So you spray the hallway with the machine gun while your teammates run down. Because of the machine gun the enemies will not stick their heads out so easily. They may take you out, but then your teammates will get them. If you pair it with the flash bang it's even better. Flash, they take cover. Machine gun, they stay in cover. Now your team safely moves forward with a hail of bullets covering them.
    Some guns in CS are quite rarely used and situational, like the machine guns. Also I almost never use deagle or P90. For pistols I prefer P250, it's cheap, has good amount of bullets and one headshot kills in normal pistol range. For smgs I have not yet found my favorite, but I feel that P90 is just too expensive. For me the point of getting an smg is to save money and as I don't trust myself to get many kills I buy something cheap.

• edited January 2013
    I invariably hit "b" to open the buy menu then F1 to autobuy. Whatever I get, I play with. That's it. Fiddling with options and weapon choices isn't going to make me a better player, even if it might help a bit on some maps. Also if I'm on the counter terrorist team, autobuying always gets me defuse kit.

If I get a gun I don't like, I consider it a learning experience. And switch to my pistol if I'm stuck. However, if I see an AK-47 on the ground, I'll probably pick it up and use that instead.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • I invariably hit "b" to open the buy menu then F1 to autobuy. Whatever I get, I play with. That's it. Fiddling with options and weapon choices isn't going to make me a better player, even if it might help a bit on some maps. Also if I'm on the counter terrorist team, autobuying always gets me defuse kit.

If I get a gun I don't like, I consider it a learning experience. And switch to my pistol if I'm stuck. However, if I see an AK-47 on the ground, I'll probably pick it up and use that instead.
    Does autobuy always get you kevlar/helmet if you can afford it? That's always my top priority. I wish there was some way to program some autobuy logic. If can_afford(X) { buy X } if teammate_buys(X) { buy (Y) }, etc.
  • Were you the guy on my team in train I shot in the head who then left?
    Nah, Aztec was running when I left.
  • edited January 2013
    Some guns in CS are quite rarely used and situational, like the machine guns. Also I almost never use deagle or P90. For pistols I prefer P250, it's cheap, has good amount of bullets and one headshot kills in normal pistol range. For smgs I have not yet found my favorite, but I feel that P90 is just too expensive. For me the point of getting an smg is to save money and as I don't trust myself to get many kills I buy something cheap.
    P250 is better for most people because of its higher rate of fire, but damn if a good Deagler isn't scary. I find the P90 isn't too expensive because its return on kills is $300 for a $2350 investment. Two rounds of buying an M4 will cost you $6200 before you even calculate armor/defuse/nades. Oftentimes you can get away with a P90 for two rounds instead of an M4 one round than an eco round. This is especially true if you are playing CT where you are mainly waiting on T's to act.

You can customize autobuy.txt to buy whatever your preferred weapons are (notice they still use M4A1 and ammo in text file). After hitting autobuy all you have to worry about is 'nades which you probably don't want being auto-bought anyway because your loadout changes depending on map, T/CT, or positioning on map

Mine looks like this:
    m4a1
    ak47
    galil
    p90

defuser

vesthelm
    vest

It works like this:
    The system begins with the first alias in the list, and attempts to purchase it.
    If a primary weapon is successfully purchased, all later primary weapon aliases are skipped.
    Similarly, secondary weapon buy alias are skipped once a seconary weapon has been purchased.
    Gear is bought according to ranking
    Post edited by djfooboo on
  • Could we maybe make this a weekly thing? Or at least try to get together for a couple of rounds once a week?
  • edited January 2013
    Does autobuy always get you kevlar/helmet if you can afford it? That's always my top priority. I wish there was some way to program some autobuy logic. If can_afford(X) { buy X } if teammate_buys(X) { buy (Y) }, etc.
    No, it prioritises rifle > kit > kevlar + helmet > kevlar, I believe.

Also, you can program it . Look at this file:

x:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo\autobuy.txt

edit: derpderpderp, didn't read above post.

I'm also totally down for weekly games
    Post edited by Farragar on
  • Tonight I'm planning on shooty shooty time.
  • Weekly rounds on Fridays/Saturdays?
    Also, CS:GO tonight? Brilliant.
  • CS:GO tonight, in about 3-4 hours time.
    Tentatively yes.

• Tentatively yes.
  • I am joining now, but can't stay on too late/long.
  • Joining now.
  • That was fun! We should do it again some time. The server filled up with non-FRCF people, but that was fine.
  • Yeah, that was pretty fun, even with the trash-talking pubbies.
  • Well looks like I missed it then.
  • Its coming up to the weekend again, are people up for another session this weekend?
  • Its coming up to the weekend again, are people up for another session this weekend?
    'Another'? You weren't even there!
    I will probably be there. I see no reason why not.

• I'll be there Friday night. Around 11pm-1am Berlin time. I guess I could make this a weekly thing while I'm at home. I don't get much chance to play in between, so I'm certainly not improving, but it's fun to mess about with other forumites.
    'Another'? You weren't even there!
    I was with you in spirit!

So shall we go for 10ish UK time on Friday? I shall even try to borrow a mike and everything so you can all hear my dulcet tones.

• People! Stop multitasking!

FRCF server. Ten minutes. See you there, suckers.