This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Where Do I Put A Mod/Indie Game Dev Discussion Thread

edited December 2012 in Video Games
I am interested in getting input on ideas for a competitive multi player team game. The game is a GMod game that will hopefully become a full Source game with time. In the game, there is a team with heavy emphasis on melee combat and a team with heavy emphasis on ranged weaponry, each with job choices and classes to pair and mix. I want to know where would be a good category to put a thread for discussing game play and competitive depth so I can get an idea of what more experienced hardcore players, and casual ones, value in online gaming experiences.
Post edited by Viethra on

Comments

• Make something first.
  • So, most people would rather not discuss mechanics without a demo or something?
  • edited December 2012
    So, most people would rather not discuss mechanics without a demo or something?
    Well, there are two points, I suppose.

First, the answer to your question is that you've put this thread in the right category.

Second, there isn't much we can discuss on the topic, we have no information to go on here.

Third, yeah, it kinda would help if you had something to show, before you started asking us about this stuff.

Sorry if this all seems a little cold, but I just don't feel we could be terribly helpful to you without some idea of what's going on and what we can do, or even what to talk about. You've gotta make something first, good or bad. Break the ground, so to speak, get something rolling, before you try to steer it. Then, we can get to worrying about gameplay and competitive depth - I mean, with what we know so far, you could be talking about anything from re-creating counterstrike in Gmod, to a game about medieval archer-knights, just for two of the many possibilities.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Yeah, while I like talking theoretical mechanics, you either need a really concrete idea (which you don't) and lay it out to us (in lots of paragraphs and stuff), or just to make something.
  • I'm working on a proof of concept, but I suppose I could provide a more complex description. I've written pages about it, but I want to have something playable out before releasing that much.
  • edited January 2013
    I suppose it is strongly influenced by Valve games, but because of the way the personalization features work, it would probably seem more akin to Battlefield Heroes or Uncharted 3's online multiplayer.

The maps are designed to create scenarios where the virtues of melee weapons like swords and those of long ranged weapons like guns are equally demonstrated. The teams are very different in appearance and play differently.The "melee" team consists of anthropomorphic creatures with special skills, and the "ranged" team consists of robots with advanced capabilities. One team seems almost ripped from a medieval fantasy, one from a science fiction novel, but in truth both are creations of science. Hopefully, it will not be too difficult to balance such different teams, but that is where play testing comes in, I suppose. The teams each have respective races and makes that add visual and functional variety. You may also choose you character's gender. If all the customization (which will be expanded and staggered gradually) doesn't create an unruly mess, it should provide a unique sense of freedom and depth.
  • What is your technical background?
  • As a paid professional, none. As a designer, I've written many stories, and conceptualized multiple franchises in different mediums for prospective development. I always study the medium and try to make designs that are informed by the needs and limitations of the platform, seeking to innovate, without being prohibitively ambitious. I am learning some programming and how to use the necessary software competently, in order to be an able prototype builder and leader in this venture. I am currently engaged in a modestly comprehensive study of game design and software development, in order to act as an informed leader of game play development. My area of specialty is narrative and illustration, but all relevant production skills I can attain are valuable when attempting such an involved project. This will be the first game I have ever made. I'm actually rather nervous.
  • Make pong first.
  • Make pong first.
    I can't stress this enough. Pong is important. Also make space invaders.
  • After playing Space Wars at MAGFest, I'm going to make it.
  • After playing Space Wars at MAGFest, I'm going to make it.
    What will be playable first: this, or Beantown? =P

What about our Advance Wars clone? Frat Boy Fridge? ;^)

I can say that this time, for this one little game, I think I agree 100% with you on what it needs to be. We've never agreed 100% before on any idea that I can recall.
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacewar! The wiki says you can download it on steam but I don't have steam at work, someone try it :-p
  • Spacewar! is not the same as Space Wars

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Wars
  • well it's pretty close since it's based on it, it's just the early version.
  • Ideas are a dime a dozen. Actually make something, and then discussion is warranted.

I think starting with Pong is a fine idea.
  • Close doesn't cut it. The original is so tight.
  • One of these days, I need to try out my storytelling game idea.
  • Rym, Spacewar! is the original.
  • Rym, Spacewar! is the original.
    Truth. There is an exhibit at The Museum of the Moving Image right now.

http://www.movingimage.us/exhibitions/2012/12/15/detail/spacewar-video-games-blast-off/
  • edited January 2013
    I love that there is this main conversation about whether discussing the high concept before the proof of concept is a folly, while simultaneously Scott and Rym are discussing Spacewar and or Space Wars.
  • Relevant: https://twitter.com/optimisticindie
    Not only is that hilarious, but it also made me scan it in completely paranoid fashion to make sure I wasn't That Guy. I seem to be in the clear so far.
  • Attn indie devs: someone make/port a really good rogue-like to iOS. Thanks in advance.
  • edited January 2013
    Attn indie devs: someone make/port a really good rogue-like to iOS. Thanks in advance.
    There are quite a few Nethacks on iOS. I tried a bunch of them. Bad UI all around. Even worse than the real nethack.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited January 2013
    Yeah I started thinking about it and I couldn't figure out how to make not-shit touch controls for something rogue-like.

I had actually been considering looking into making something like a mobile X-COM, but the iOS market is so completely flooded at this point it would not be worth the considerable investment unless your squaddies were disgruntled avians.
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on
  • Zaga 33 and Sword of Fargoal have pretty good controls/UI for touch rogue-likes. It would definitely get much more difficult when you try any sort of complex game, tho.

100 Rogues does a decent job of having ok controls and decent complexity, but it's just so poorly made IMO (really dislike the monkey-cheese style too). Also seemed really easy to me. I guess the reason no one's really trying hard is that you probably won't make a damn penny if you make one that can really be considered a "good rogue-like."
  • Yeah I started thinking about it and I couldn't figure out how to make not-shit touch controls for something rogue-like.
    I would have to be simplified so the interface could be kept as simple as possible. Something like, movement, action (everything from picking up items to opening doors and handling buttons, contextually) and access to inventory and character stat screen(s).

• Yeah I started thinking about it and I couldn't figure out how to make not-shit touch controls for something rogue-like.
    I think something like FTL would work with touch controls.
  • Something like that, sure. But a more traditional, endless inventory dungeon-crawling whatsit? Bleh. The difficulty of pulling it off would not be worth it considering the whims of the iOS market.