This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Wednesday - Star Wars and Saga

edited January 2013 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we bring to you some initial thoughts on Star Wars (Wood) and Saga (Vaughan). They're both worth reading. Star Wars is reminds one of TIE Fighter, and Saga reminds one of The Incal and The Fifth Element. We also consider a crazy guy on the bus to MAGFest, fake cabs, the upcoming Ghost in the Shell: Arise, K.C. Green's Regular Show, TM Revolution appearing again at Otakon (we interviewed him once and talked about it), us continuing to be blacklisted from Otakon, and more!

Don't forget that ConnectiCon Panel Submissions are open (you have to register for the site), and Anime Boston Panel Submissions end THURSDAY.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• SAGA! WOOHOO!
  • Don't forget our Youtube Video Channel!

• RymRym
    edited January 2013
    SAGA! WOOHOO!
    It's boss. Also, "The Will" is totally "The Bruce Willis."

Post edited by Rym on
  • God, I love Saga. It's like The Incal except I can actually understand it :)
  • You also should mention the awesome Fiona Staples for doing the art of Saga.
  • GeoGeo
    edited January 2013
    I submitted a panel to Connecticon a month or so ago (first time panelist). When can I expect to hear if a panel of mine got accepted or not?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • edited January 2013
    "Star Wars is reminds".
    Post edited by Neito on
  • edited January 2013
    Fuck yeah Sagaaaaaaa this will be some good listening tomorrow on the morning commute.

^ My enthusiasm levels for this comic.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • I can't believe Scrym have the restraint to wait for the trade. That's like waiting for a whole season of Ponies to air and marathoning it.

FUCK THAT!

I'm day and date with this ride.

The next 3 issues are SOOOOO GOOOOOOD.
  • Oh EM GEE! New Ghost in the Sheeeell... *dances happy sitting down dance*
  • RymRym
    edited January 2013
    I can't believe Scrym have the restraint to wait for the trade. That's like waiting for a whole season of Ponies to air and marathoning it.
    And thus you understand the power of my hatred of floppies.

Post edited by Rym on
  • Saga is what my dreams are made of.
  • And I suppose you don't want to read it in digital format? The newest issue is still $2.99 on Comixology, which is not worth it, but the non-newest issues are priced down to $1.99, which is somewhat more reasonable. $0.99 would still be ideal, but at least it's not the full price of a standard floppy, and it still beats trade waiting.
  • I refuse to pay for digital comics in their current form. DRM, ridiculous pricing, and distortion of content.

By distortion of content, I mean that reading a comic using current readers is a modification of the original artwork. It's not like when you record a song on MP3 and it's impossible to tell the difference. It's like when a movie is on VHS pan and scan.

How does a two page spread go over on an iPad? How is it where you have to keep zooming in and out to read bubbles? How is it when pages have no left and right? How does something like the Fearful Symmetry issue of Watchmen work when there is no symmetry?

Also, I have no need for a tablet. That's a lot of moneys for something that would only be used to read comics. I pay less for paper comics than I would for the digital comics. Why would I pay more for the digital ones and pay an additional cost for a device I don't need?
  • I have a laptop, a tablet, and a tower and they all get used pretty often.
  • I have a laptop, a tablet, and a tower and they all get used pretty often.
    Do you also have a smart phone?
  • yes
    Well, I have an HTPC, a PC, a laptop, a smartphone, and a Kindle and a few game consoles. I am never in a situation where I want to do something and do not have an appropriate device.
  • yes
    So when do you use the tablet where the smartphone isn't useful and you don't have your laptop?

• yes
    So when do you use the tablet where the smartphone isn't useful and you don't have your laptop?

Tablet + Big powerful laptop is still much cheaper and handles 90% of the situations as small powerful laptop.
  • edited January 2013
    I use the tablet for mobile comic reading, don't ask how I got the comics.

The Kindle is pretty much a tablet...
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Comixology with Guided View is how I read all my comics.
  • edited January 2013
    yes

I don't use my laptop when I'm sitting on the couch because it gets really hot and it 17'' so its pretty decently big. I could use my phone honestly but I got the tablet before I got my phone and my previous phone was incredibly slow but I would rather have a bigger screen when I'm surfing web pages. An HTPC would alleviate that but I doubt my girlfriend wants to watch me surf the web on our TV. Sure I could sacrifice one for the other but why should I need to if I have options?

I also have a kindle, but it's one of the original ones and is only for reading books.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • My Kindle also only reads books.
  • I've tried reading comics on the kindle, it is muy poopy.
  • Ahh... My laptop is tiny and cool.
  • I have a smartphone and a gaming rig desktop.
  • edited January 2013
    Desktop: At home, uber gaming, report writing, research,
    Laptop (work): Work stuff, gaming when away from home, heavy interneting, writing.
    Tablet: Light interneting around wi-fi, when I have space needs, reading comics.
    Smartphone: Light internet, GPS, light e-mail, random apps but not reading beyond "Oh shit I need to figure something out right now and I'm in the woods/crowd/whatever.
    3DS: Sitting gathering dust until Fire Emblem comes out next week.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • And I suppose you don't want to read it in digital format? The newest issue is still $2.99 on Comixology, which is not worth it, but the non-newest issues are priced down to $1.99, which is somewhat more reasonable. $0.99 would still be ideal, but at least it's not the full price of a standard floppy, and it still beats trade waiting.
    This is how I currently feel about it as well and will only purchase issues with Ponies and Saga. Everything else, I'll just wait for trade.
  • I must say that in a few years when I need a new laptop I would greatly consider one with a convertible or removable keyboard. I still wouldn't read comics on it, though.

Well, web-comics would be fine. Just not comics that were originally created in the print medium and scanned.