This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What have you bought recently?

Comments

• I am getting the Hyrule Historia today! :D
    I think I will be buying that today for my kid.
    I thought about it, but I have enough coffee table books. I'm sure I'll be able to look at a copy at some point and get all the enjoyment out of it there is to be had.

• I haven't been buying much this year. Currently saving up monies for PAX East, a suit I ordered from Anderson & Sheppard a while ago, and PAX AU.
  • My Benchmade model 62 finally came in the mail.
  • Running gloves
    How are those different form other gloves?
  • Running gloves
    How are those different form other gloves?
    They run, obviously.
  • PAX AU.
    If you come to PAX Aus, we drinkin'.

• Bought some more beer ingredients this week.
  • Ordered a copy of the Hyrule Historia today.
  • edited January 2013
    Whoops, double posted.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • Downtown Abbey Season 3
    So many feels.
  • edited January 2013
    Ordered a copy of the Hyrule Historia today.
    It's a pretty sweet book, I'd buy it twice too.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Ordered a copy of the Hyrule Historia today.
    It's a pretty sweet book, I'd buy it twice too.
    The book is huge and I am loving every minute of it.
  • This month: around $40 worth of Steam gifts, Characteristics of Games, and a 16GB Nexus 4.
  • I need to finish that goddamn book. I'll read like half a chapter then just forget I have it. Rinse and repeat
  • Ordered more LPs. Pillowfight by Pillowfight and Set Ourselves Free by The Wild are the two I remember, but I'm sure I ordered more.
  • edited January 2013
    The Wild are great, I have that record.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited January 2013
    I've been going through every band mentioned on the back of the Knife Man booklet on the theory that it's a better system of finding bands (if less varied) than radd.it. I was surprised to see Gaslight Anthem on there, though '59 Sound is actually quite good.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • edited January 2013
    You should pay attention to bands associated with Asian Man Records. I got The Wild record from a vinyl grab-bag deal they have on their website every once in a while, and before saw them play as Asian Man 15th Anniversary Fest with AJJ. It's not a strictly folk-punk label or anything, but there are a lot of amazing bands on that label you might be into.

Off the top of my head, you should maybe look up The Taxpayers, Kepi Ghoulie (formerly of the Groovie Ghoulies), and Max Levine Ensemble (though look at his solo project called Spoonboy too).
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Only thing I've bought this month that's worth mentioning: a goddamn king-size Tempur-pedic bed. One of the best and worst purchases I've ever made.
  • Ran into Max Levine a while back when following a series of links originating with either Madeline Adams or Your Heart Breaks, not sure which. I didn't find him enough anything in particular for my tastes. I'm the sort of guy who likes almost anything as long as it'll stand out in his memory.

As an aside, I find it amusing that the two labels I pay attention to are Chinese Man Records and Asian Man Records.
  • I'm not very into Max Levine Ensemble either, but a lot of people like that band. I will say I find Spoonboy a lot more compelling, though.

I'm suggesting all of these more on the basis that you wouldn't be into or already know about bands like Bomb the Music Industry! and Joyce Manor that are friends with Jihad, which I guess maybe I shouldn't necessarily assume.
  • Ordered more LPs. Pillowfight by Pillowfight and Set Ourselves Free by The Wild are the two I remember, but I'm sure I ordered more.
    Dude, by now, your record collection must be starting to rival mine.
  • edited January 2013
    Ordered more LPs. Pillowfight by Pillowfight and Set Ourselves Free by The Wild are the two I remember, but I'm sure I ordered more.
    Dude, by now, your record collection must be starting to rival mine.
    How big is yours? I don't have too many of my own, I got a shitton from my parents, which I'm not going to get to keep when I move out.
    Post edited by Greg on
  • ... and a 16GB Nexus 4.
    Congrats on finally getting one, it's awesome.
  • >How big is yours? I don't have too many of my own, I got a shitton from my parents, which I'm not going to get to keep when I move out.
    It's smaller than it used to be - I had to really cut it down before I left for England, I had something like twenty milk-crates full of records, I think I'm down to about 250, maybe 300 nowdays. Roughly four milk crates, and each crate holds about 50 records, I think.

• You're still well ahead of me. I own ~30, I just have access to my parents' 600+.
  • You're still well ahead of me. I own ~30, I just have access to my parents' 600+.
    I spent a lot of time cruising around markets and secondhand stores, and I'd usually come home with at least a few records, since they were usually around 50 cents to a dollar each.
    Yeah, they were in stock in the Australian Google Play Store yesterday, for the first time since November. I still have to wait on shipping, but I'm really looking forward to getting mine.

Amusingly enough, the 16GB model is already out of stock once again, though the 8GB model is still available.