This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

"Metal" is the best thread title here.

Comments

• The wired:

Nile was the second band I mentioned in the death metal section. Morbid Angel was an oversight, and I don't really listen to Kreator.

I didn't mention Immortal, Atheist, or Deathspell because they can all die in a fire; I also left out Emperor, another huge black metal band. I hate most black metal, so I don't make a lot of reccomendations on it.

I lumped them into the categories I did because that's how they came to mind when I was typing this up. I would put the doom metal bands separate from everything else, but screw it, they are where they are. Also, a lot of doom metal doesn't necessarily resemble death metal; a lot of it is an older metal style reminscent of Sabbath.

I very specifically left out nu metal and metalcore because, yes, those genres can die in a fire.

And, very technically, I would say that Dream Theater has some very metal elements, particularly the Train of Thought album. I consider Pink Floyd or Genesis to be more progressive rock; DT is progressive hard rock/heavy metal.

Also, the Images and Words album is a masterpiece. Octavarium was good, but it wasn't quite up to the level of their first two albums.
    I just bought systematic chaos and I got to say they do have metal influences which seem to show up in this album more than their last efforts, I specially like the tracks forsaken and dark eternal night.

Have you heard of dark lunacy? What can you tell me about them?

I also forgot to say you missed Sonata Artica on the power metal section, but I can't complain, the list is pretty complete by itself.

SoaD has good songs and a unique style which is probably why they are becoming so popular, but goddamn are they an awful live band.

I can list some visual kei bands for the sake of completion.
    Moi Dix Mois (one of my favorites.)
    Malice Mizer (Klalha period.)
    Phantasmagoria.
    Alice Nine.
    Arctic Cafe.
    Gazette.
    Janne Da Arc.
    Luna sea.
    Zi:Kill.
  • Haven't heard of Darky Lunacy; I'll check 'em out.

Sonata Arcitca was a total oversight on my part; they're awesome and everyone should be listening to them.

Also, I forgout about another band that was on the Unholy Alliance tour: Thine Eyes Bleed. They feature Tom Araya's brother on vocals; they're a pretty straightforward death/grind band, but they're not bad at all. Worth at least a listen or two.
  • but goddamn are they an awful live band.

'Aint that the truth.
  • Haven't heard of Dark Lunacy; I'll check 'em out.

Sonata Artica was a total oversight on my part; they're awesome and everyone should be listening to them.

Also, I forgot about another band that was on the Unholy Alliance tour: Thine Eyes Bleed. They feature Tom Araya's brother on vocals; they're a pretty straightforward death/grind band, but they're not bad at all. Worth at least a listen or two.
    I will check out TEB, any album/song recommendations?
  • edited August 2007
    No idea, really; they just played their set.

EDIT: Also, I was wrong about Johnny Araya's role in the band; he is ALSO a bass player, just like his older brother.

Their one album is called In the Wake of Separation.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I actually ventured myspace to listen to them, they are a nice band, Still not sure if it's something I will put on my rotation but it's alright at the moment.

Myspace is only good to hear new bands. XD
  • If you guys wanna hear a terrible band live, go watch an Ion Dissonance video on youtube.
  • I just checked out Kamelot, pretty badass.
  • Worst band to see live - Phantomas. In fact, stay away from Phatomas entirely.
  • In fact, stay away from Phatomas entirely.
    Did we ever tell that story on the show?  Man, that was a bad set.  It was probably the worst music I've ever heard.
  • edited August 2007
    Hmm listen to Ion Dissonace, I don't see Metal being much worse than them.
    Post edited by m16 elitest on
  • Worst band to see live - Phantomas. In fact, stay away from Phatomas entirely.
    It's Fantomas. At least spell it right. :p
  • edited August 2007
    Just watched a Fantomas video, and Ion Dissonance is much worse. Link
    Post edited by m16 elitest on

I just listened to the show where you talked about them... Hilarity.
    It's Fantomas. At least spell it right. :p
    They don't deserve it.
  • edited August 2007
    Don't even mention them, Fantomas should die in the holy fire of Odin's anus!
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • Is it just me, or do people really hate Dragonforce?

Two people I talked to today singled out Dragonforce as the worst band ever in two separate times and places, both without prompting. One was just talking about music offhand, and the other was flipping through my iPod.
  • I like Dragonforce, but they do so much jumping live that it makes their playing horrible.
  • Is it just me, or do people really hate Dragonforce?

Two people I talked to today singled out Dragonforce as the worst band ever in two separate times and places, both without prompting. One was just talking about music offhand, and the other was flipping through my iPod.
    They're a big target of ridicule because they're so ridiculously over-the-top, and have a tendency to write very similar songs (look at "Through the Fire and the Flames" and "Operation: Ground and Pound"). All of their cheesiness aside, they've got two of the fastest damned guitar players in the world.

The wired: I've heard their live show is fairly sub-par, including things like Herman Li trying to play while drunk. I'd like to see them some time just to see for myself.
  • I saw them live a t ozzfest and I left the stageside until they left, it was that bad.
  • Yeah, they are pretty bad live.
  • edited August 2007
    I tend to listen to a lot of power metal - most people find it unbearably cheesy but thats the reason I like it :)

Here's some of my recommendations for the Power Metal genre (some of them have been posted already):
    - Manowar (*required* listening)
    - Sonata Arctica
    - Hammerfall (awesome live)
    - Sabaton (some kind of a "concept" band as far as I can gather, most of their lyrics concern World War II)
    - Blind Guardian
    - Stratovarius
    - Dragonforce
    - Rhapsody (Luca Turilli's solo albumns are good too)

Bands from other metal sub-genres I listen to:

- Cruachan (an Irish band that play a mix of black metal and celtic melodies)
    - Children of Bodom
    - Death
    - Carcass
    - Blood Stain Child (Japanese death metal band)
    Post edited by Hecate on
  • Holy shit! I completely overlooked cruachan and manowar, I'm a bad metal fan. *goes listen to some emo, just out of pure masochism*
  • Cruachan? Never heard of 'em.

It's Bittorrent time.
  • Upon listening, I have determined that Cruachan is made of win, and Guinness.

I approve.
  • Upon listening, I have determined that Cruachan is made of win, and Guinness.

I approve.
    Hell yeah, they are made of pure certified EPIC WIN!
  • Okay. The story of the metal concert brought this back up in my mind. Now it's Fox's turn. Basically what Sail said at the beginning of the thread. I'll list what was already mentioned in the thread that I've heard/liked:

Liked:
    Machinae Supremacy (a lot)
    Black Sabbath
    Metallica
    Dragonforce - cheesy, I know, but I like how it sounds
    (Some) System of a Down

Haven't heard much, but liked what I did:
    Iron Maiden
    Apocalyptica
    Dethklok - only Thunderhorse (via Guitar Hero)
    Bang Camaro - only Push Push Lady Lightning (also Guitar Hero)
    Megadeth
    Nightwish
    Manowar
    Limozeen (just kidding)

Hated:
    Slipknot
    Korn
    Most of that 80s crap like Poison, Def Leppard, Motley Crue, etc. Wikipedia seems to classify most of what I hate as "glam metal".

By "haven't heard much" I mean I've heard approximately one song. Except Iron Maiden. And I'm not sure if I only like the Guitar Hero songs because I get to play them.
    Also, what do you classify Disturbed, Breaking Benjamin, and Scorpions as?

Anyways, there you go. Tear me apart.
  • edited September 2007
    I like Caesium, you might like it too but its mostly just a matter of preference, especially doing that thing with the water. Group 1 is definitely the best metal group in my opinion.

[Edit] Ok, that joke sucked. Will try harder next time.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • It's all freaking subjective!
    Metal music is metal music.