This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GENCON 2013 - Indianapolis, IN

edited February 2013 in Conventions

GEN CON INDY 2013!
INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA, USA!
AUGUST 15-18!
46TH ANNIVERSARY!

So GeekNights really hypes PAX, but I live in Indianapolis so hype GENCON I will. GENCON Indy has been held for 10 years and I suspect it will stay in Indianapolis for the foreseeable future. The city and local community have really embraced the con (as they should a cash cow), and make everyone feel right at home. Whether you want to check out the new hotness boardgames in the dealer hall, schmooze with your favorite game designers, play a musty 1980's RPG, play in a zombie LARP, be in a tournament, be artsy-crafty, or watch anime, pretty much all geekeries are represented in some way.

Tickets went on sale last weekend and all the close hotels were booked within hours. This doesn't mean you can't find lodging, but that you may be taking a cab to get to the convention center.

We should try and have a GeekNights meetup if enough people are coming.

NAME: Matt H, djfooboo
INTERESTS: Boardgames, non-collectible card games and music-rhythm games, you might trick me into trying a one-off RPG
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: I live in Indy, so feel free to message me any questions you have.

Comments

• edited February 2013
    I would consider going to GenCon if they didn't ticket for individual events. I am strongly philosophically opposed to that practice. If you buy a badge to a convention, you should have access to everything at the convention the same as everyone else.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • To be honest I find myself not utilizing tickets because I am mainly interested in non-organized gaming and publisher demos.
  • Constantine got an invitation to the Settlers Tournament because he got to the finals at PAX, and the guys who beat him declined. It's unlikely he can find the time, though.
  • The ticketed events are usually not even events you would want to go to anyway so it's fairly irrelevant. Most of the "fun" around Gencon is just hanging out with people outside of the official con stuff. I guess that's every con to me now though. Oh noes, I'm old now like the old people when I first went to gencon.
  • edited February 2013
    I'm going. I will be running games at Games on Demand, so if you're interested in indie games, come check us out.
    I would consider going to GenCon if they didn't ticket for individual events. I am strongly philosophically opposed to that practice. If you buy a badge to a convention, you should have access to everything at the convention the same as everyone else.
    If you have the right friends, you can spend your entire time playing unticketed games. A ticket gets you a guaranteed table space and time. Most of the hotels of plenty of unused conference rooms set aside. I only had two ticketed events last year.

I also have two GenCon-only FreeMarket games that are going to be continued from years previous. I'm excited to be revisiting those MRCZs and their troubles.
    Post edited by okeefe on
  • I used to room party and hang out outside of the con when I was younger, but I do more and more at-con as I get older. At least, with gaming conventions.

Anime cons... I tend to hang out in restaurants and rooms.
  • I used to room party and hang out outside of the con when I was younger, but I do more and more at-con as I get older. At least, with gaming conventions.

Anime cons... I tend to hang out in restaurants and rooms.
    I pretty much go to AB solely to do my panels, go to Daryl Surat's and a few other people's panels, and hang out/play board games with FRCF types. Otherwise, AB is fairly bereft of content for me, especially now that I go to PAX, CTCon, and Magfest.
  • The "content" at most cons just doesn't do it for me. Like most things, I've been disappointed too many times in the past.
  • I'd be willing to do gen con if given the opportunity, the issue is the whole staying there. I need a local's couch to crash on for maximum enjoyment.