This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Why I Quit - by Don Rosa

edited February 2013 in Manga/Comics
The complete works of Don Rosa were recently released here in Finland and Don intended for an autobiographical epilogue to appear in the last volume of the set. At the last minute Disney intervened and thus, perhaps ironically, the epilogue - instead of being published in a limited edition, very expensive book - is available here.

It is a facinating insight into the life and work of one of our time's great storytellers and his reasons for quitting. Spoilers: reason no.1 - How the sausage gets made at Disney.
Post edited by Dr. Timo on

Comments

• I just read that a little while ago.

I hate to say that it doesn't surprise me. I've learned a lot about Disney's inside baseball in the last many months...
  • The mainstream comic book industry in the US is terrible on a level that boggles the mind. The Marvel Method is in my opinion a disgrace to narrative fiction, the fixation on underwear perverts, exploitation of talent, etc. etc. all but eclipse the few bright stars like Frank Miller (who is a certified lunatic) or Mike Mignola (when he is allowed to draw his stories himself).

Fortunately the indie scene is very much alive and kicking, I just wish they would take Marvel and DC down a notch if not out for the count.
  • They will. The problem is, DC and Marvel are ten ton giants with momentum. You're not going to stop all of that all at once.
  • This is why I fear the end result of Disney buying Star Wars.
  • The mainstream comic book industry in the US is terrible on a level that boggles the mind. The Marvel Method is in my opinion a disgrace to narrative fiction, the fixation on underwear perverts, exploitation of talent, etc. etc. all but eclipse the few bright stars like Frank Miller (who is a certified lunatic) or Mike Mignola (when he is allowed to draw his stories himself).

Fortunately the indie scene is very much alive and kicking, I just wish they would take Marvel and DC down a notch if not out for the count.
    What were you linking to as far as the Marvel Method? The link isn't clickable.
  • What were you linking to as far as the Marvel Method? The link isn't clickable.
    Here it is. He missed a quote.

• edited February 2013
    What were you linking to as far as the Marvel Method? The link isn't clickable.
    Here it is. He missed a quote.
    Thanks for the correction, I always forget to check that links are OK.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on